Ferrari LaFerrari vs Mclaren P1 vs Porsche 918 | Page 189 | FerrariChat

Ferrari LaFerrari vs Mclaren P1 vs Porsche 918

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by mpowered, Nov 3, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. h2oskier

h2oskier F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2006
    inside someone hot
    Full Name:
    MJA
    They are extremely close. That Venom is much angrier looking where the P1 is definitely more refined and better looking.

I've always thought of the Venom as just an Lotus with a flare kit.

2. cka

cka Formula 3

Oct 12, 2009
    botanic gardens
    Full Name:
    king
    I would not contest that i have not seen a Venom. But having seen pictures of the car and in particular from the front and if perrinnation would be so kind as to show that comparison, it is clear the Venom and the P1 looks miles apart in design. One has an American muscle car look and the other a futuristic look. Every car has something that reminds one of another. The P1 is no muscle car.

Pending my viewing of a 918 and the LF, unless i am going to be completely surprise, the P1 at this moment is the best looking for me and it is my own opinion which i am entitled to as much as you are entitled to think that the P1 sucks in the looks dept.

3. ginge82

ginge82 Formula 3

Jul 23, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Art Corvelay
    So in short, just as long as I am a fan of the Mclaren you have no problem with me merely judging from pictures, as you have with the 918 and LaFerrari, but if I have anything remotely negative to say regarding the Mclaren, I am being unfair and need to see one in the flesh?

At least the rules are clear now. Many thanks.

4. Floyd

Floyd Karting

Apr 30, 2009
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Jan
    I thought we're talking about LaF, P1 and 918.

Your post was a reply to Lone Wolf's "Porsche is mass production". You were the one talking about "when a Porsche made, it does not travel an assembly line, it's made by hand", German craftsmanship and Ferraris that have metal shavings in the gearboxes.

I must have overread that this was about GT3 and GT2.

Sent from my iPhone

5. xku807

xku807 Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2004
    Full Name:
    John
    P1 looks awkward viewed from the side with the wing not deployed.

6. glendon

glendon Karting

Sep 13, 2013
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BiZfKkxmaE]First Ferrari LaFerrari spotted in Monaco - YouTube[/ame]

Found this on youtube! First customer car?

7. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Seeing that we are over 4700 posts into this thread, we both have probably blurred the lines. When I am speaking of Porsche on this thread, and when most posters here have talked in the past, it has been about race-ready cars. Porsche makes GT2 and GT3 cars which can be taken to the track tomorrow. Some who have not followed this thread as closely could not make this distinction.

Let me just clarify things with this statement. A person can love Ferrari, and respect Porsche. But if you 'hate' Porsche, then you are ignoring the obvious--they are wonderful cars in many, many ways.

A stand up guy will admit he respects a particular brand, even if he doesn't like it. That's all I am trying to say.

8. cka

cka Formula 3

Oct 12, 2009
    botanic gardens
    Full Name:
    king
    I have the pleasure to own Porsche, lambos, Ferraris and McLaren and i am no fan boy of any particular brand. I buy the model that most appeal to me and whenever possible, i like to see the car first before i buy it. All these brands produce fantastic cars and i am not loyal to anyone of them because the competition is extremely keen and whichever model/brand that catch my eye gets my cash. Actually from reading this thread, you are surely not the one with the most negative comments but its a free world, we are all entitled to our comments and i think it's most important to keep the forum civil.

On this thread a few have not been very complimentary of Ron Dennis. I had the pleasure of dining with him and he is an extremely pleasant gentleman and very passionate about motor racing and in particular McLaren. Because of his passion, we now have McLaren and one more choice of fantastic car brands to choose from. If not for him, we will only be talking about the LF and the 918. So i say great job Ron Dennis and i wish you all the success with McLaren.

9. giacomodiroma

giacomodiroma Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 11, 2013
    Now I understand your opinion ginge82!

Very eary and uncanny!

Both machines are yellow.

The overall profile line is similar also. Is that is why you and I look similar?

But help me all saints, I cannot see more similarities that what you see.

The canopy part of the automobiles is very different.

The laterals of the automobiles is very different.

I cannot see the front or back of the Venom GT here, so perhaps you are very accurate in this regard. Is it possible for you to post a comparison viewing of the fronts and rears of these twin cars please?

10. giacomodiroma

giacomodiroma Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 11, 2013
    You wait 200 pages to say this?

200 pages???

And this is all you have to say???

11. perrinnation

perrinnation Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2012
    The Detroit area
    Full Name:
    David

Venom and P1 share some lines in their respective profiles. And I'm sure thats all anyone is saying. But Venom and P1 are far more common in shape than 918 or LaFerrari thats for sure. The devil is in the details and that where all these cars find their souls.

Now that all three are on the streets, maybe we can be lucky enough to have THE MONEY SHOT with all of them in the same space.

Looking forward to it.

12. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
  13. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    That's a bold statement. Better looking than the F1? Better looking than a 288 GTO? Better looking than an F40? Better looking than an E-Type Jaguar? I know tastes can be individual but beauty can also be universal.

Not seeing it in the P1. The sections of all those lines are a little on the plump side. Instead of an attractive curvy woman (E-Type) or tight athletic guy (288 GTO), the P1 looks like a slightly overweight woman with too much makeup.

-F

14. DFexotic

DFexotic Formula Junior

May 5, 2012
    Chicago/Indiana
    Fine if you want more without me having to resort to your level again I'll mention some of my opinions on the designs of the cars.

I think the 918 is a stunning looking car, blending modern and classic together flawlessly

The LaF is everything a hyper Ferrari should be. It is bold, with shock and awe elements yet subtly a sexy and sleek car underneath those elements. It has really grown on me since it was unveiled.

The p1 is in a class of its own in terms of futuristic lookiing, performance road cars. I think it is spectacular looking.

I have no idea which is best but I am certain, as everyone on here should be, that they are all spectacular. I'll very likely never have the opportunity to drive any if them, let alone own one but I'm sure that all of them would provide virtually the same driving experience to most people who aren't professional drivers anyway.

For my money, I would either choose the 918 for its sleek beauty or the p1 for its purpose built and futuristic look of technicality

15. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
  16. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
  17. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
  18. AJ

AJ Formula 3

Jun 23, 2008
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Broken link!

19. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
  20. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
  21. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
  22. timothymoffat

timothymoffat Karting

Mar 30, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Tim
    It always amazes me how much better a car looks in the wild with "normal" cars around.

23. Maximus

Maximus Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2009
    Assen, NL
    Full Name:
    Jurgen
  24. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid