exhaust valve on 430 no longer working? | FerrariChat

exhaust valve on 430 no longer working?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Manila360, Dec 16, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Manila360

Manila360 Karting

Dec 16, 2010
    It seems the volume no longer changes when going full throttle on my 430. I used to notice a audible change as the valve opens the exhaust but today, I no longer hear the increase in volume?

Was wondering what could be wrong and is it a DIY fix. Maybe a sticking exhaust valve etc?

2. YAMVS6

YAMVS6 Karting

Jan 26, 2011
    ohio
    They have 2 valves,sounds loud? are are they closed and not opening? simple to ck and test

3. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    They are vacuum operated. First thing to do is check the vacuum lines and see if there is a leak.

4. Manila360

Manila360 Karting

Dec 16, 2010
    I think they are stuck closed since the exhaust is not loud. Any tips on where to start on checking for vacuum issues

5. JTR

JTR Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 26, 2005
    in a house
    Full Name:
    John
    Just open the engine cover and you can see the valves on either side of the muffler. You'll also see the valve actuator, so you could easily test them from there.
    John

6. Russell996

Russell996 Formula 3

Sep 24, 2010
    New Forest UK
    Full Name:
    Russell
    It won't be a vacuum problem as no vacuum = open valves. It sounds like the valves are stuck shut, it is advisable not to drive at high revs with stuck closed valves as you will cause overheating of the exhaust system.
    Unless of course the vacuum has failed, they are actually open all the time and you are just going deaf. LOL

7. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    my right side valve was stuck open due to debris in the hose. How road debris/junk got in there I will never know, I assume at one point a previous owner removed the line and it got in there then. It was a easy fix.

8. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    +1; do not drive HARD on a stock-closed exhaust valve. The system was not designed to operate in this mode. The most likely damage will be thermal.

9. Manila360

Manila360 Karting

Dec 16, 2010
    I'll try to drive around and see if it's my ears or is it really a stuck valve. The valve is supposed to open between 3500-4K RPM right? If indeed it is a stuck closed valve. What would be the fix? Just try to unjam it by playing with the linkage on the valve

10. Mozella

Mozella Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2013
    Piemonte, Italia
    You should be able to easily open and close the valve by hand with the engine off. If you need more access, you can remove the rear wheel and the plastic wheel arch cover. Remember, the valve is normally open and the vacuum closes it after you start the engine.

If it's stuck, I think the normal DIY approach would be, in this order: wiggle, then wiggle harder, then plenty of spray lube, more wiggling, then gentle tapping with a hammer, then perhaps a little heat, then more violent tapping, then stop and get yourself a beer while you weigh your further options. After a while, return for more spray lube and even more tapping, plus some cursing. Now you have to decide risking damage to the valve by using more aggressive techniques or taking it to a mechanic/dealership, or some other course of action.

Good luck.

11. Manila360

Manila360 Karting

Dec 16, 2010
    I had a feeling that the solution was a hammer. Will try to wiggle it free tonight. Thanks!

12. Financialman

Financialman Formula 3

Sep 8, 2005
    San Jose CA
    Full Name:
    Dan Carpenter
    I have a friend that has 130K on his 430 spider! Been a great car.

He has almost 25K on his 458 spider too!

13. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Didn't know this. On my 355 the valve was always closed. Only under load would it open. And if there was a leak in the vacuum line...it wouldn't open.

14. Manila360

Manila360 Karting

Dec 16, 2010
    Just to update. It was indeed stuck. Trying to move it by hand was tight but it eventually loosened up. Now it works like a charm. Found it odd that both sides were stuck though

15. 308mash

308mash Formula Junior

May 20, 2009
    MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Glad you got it fixed. Maybe one had been stuck for some time before then the other got stuck and then you noticed the sound change? Something I'll check once in awhile when in the engine compartment.

16. John NY-Naples

John NY-Naples Karting

Aug 25, 2007
    New York
    #16 John NY-Naples, Dec 17, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
    Would someone mind posting a picture of the location of this valve? Thanks!

Edit: Never mind. Found the pictures.

17. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    Remember to use an ultra high temp lubricant, probably grease. Most lubricants won't survive the exhaust temps, and your problem will resurface.

18. Manila360

Manila360 Karting

Dec 16, 2010
    #18 Manila360, Dec 17, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
    Thanks for the tip. didn't think of putting any lubricant. I just wiggled it with some wd40 until there was smooth movement. The WD40 pretty much burn off instantly