Countach distributor (5000S) | FerrariChat

Countach distributor (5000S)

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by Michael Call, Dec 16, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Michael Call

Michael Call Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 6, 2008
    S.L.C. Utah
    Full Name:
    Michael D. Call
    It appears that the ignition distributor & rotor are NLA from Lamborghini. Does anyone out there know of a suitable substitute? If so, what (if any) modifications are necessary?

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I am unfamiliar with the Countach but our LM002 has the distributor mounted directly to the end of the right bank intake camshaft. No distributor per se, just a cap and rotor. If that is what you have it was superseded to a Diablo PN and it seems many dealers are unaware of that.

3. ken qv

ken qv Formula 3

Oct 25, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ken Roberson
    First.. if you want to learn about it:
    Magneti Marelli Dinoplex Repair and Restoration Documents

Second.. i would recommend the upgrade that many owners go with when the time comes and that is an upgrade to MSD or Electromotive. It's more reliable, stronger spark and more efficient. I have Electromotive and the system is awesome, simple and the tech help might need a day or two to get back to you but have no problem spending as much time on the phone as you may need with any questions or help.
    Are you one of the guys currently having your car repainted?

4. ken qv

ken qv Formula 3

Oct 25, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ken Roberson
    First.. if you want to learn about it:
    Magneti Marelli Dinoplex Repair and Restoration Documents

Second.. i would recommend the upgrade that many owners go with when the time comes and that is an upgrade to MSD or Electromotive. It's more reliable, stronger spark and more efficient. I have Electromotive and the system is awesome, simple and the tech help might need a day or two to get back to you but have no problem spending as much time on the phone as you may need with any questions or help.
    Are you one of the guys currently having your car repainted?

5. Michael Call

Michael Call Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 6, 2008
    S.L.C. Utah
    Full Name:
    Michael D. Call
    Yes, I actually am doing two Countach restorations right now. I planned on trying the Electromotive on one of them. I was just curious about what my options were as far as distributor caps go. I think someone suggested a Jag cap?

6. GraemeS

GraemeS Karting

Jun 6, 2005
    Auckland New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Graeme Stebbing
  7. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Can the distributor not be repaired? I've fixed a few. A used distributor from an Espada could probably be adapted. Certainly those are available and it's not hard to make one work with an MSD. I'm not a big fan of the Jaguar caps although they might work (depends on which rotor is used). Diablo is quite different than Countach (has mechanical advance mechanism).

8. Michael Call

Michael Call Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 6, 2008
    S.L.C. Utah
    Full Name:
    Michael D. Call
    I stand corrected: It was the permatune unit that Raymond does that I am interested in trying....
    Still looking for a Distributor cap/rotor....

9. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    I have a brand new cap/rotor on a completely rebuilt to new distributor that i will never use as long as i own the car. these things are just good to keep as original parts. they are also costing their weight in gold.
    I moved to electromotive with Chad's solution. over 1 year ago and I am telling you, that is your ticket to maintenance free ignition and great enjoyement..

10. raymondQV

raymondQV F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Raymond S.
    I used both Permatune and MSD, I think permatune cannot deliver, but not sure.
    Distributor and caps are being reproduced, I got new ones from OKP in Munich Germany costed about $500 together.

11. Michael Call

Michael Call Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 6, 2008
    S.L.C. Utah
    Full Name:
    Michael D. Call
    Please PM me if you wish regarding possibility of ordering Permatune + distributor cap

12. raymondQV

raymondQV F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Raymond S.
    I don't use permatune anymore and have a new cap and rotor for my car...

13. Jalpa_Mike

Jalpa_Mike F1 Rookie

Apr 2, 2004
    Sequim
    Full Name:
    Michael Wilson
    I use MSD and no issues at all.

14. mikael82

mikael82 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2007
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael
    Cap and rotor is same as 512BB, I run my BB with Jaguar cap, seems to work fine.

Countach and 512BB distributors run opposite direction, but rotor is 100% same, usually rotor is not to blame or the cap, it is distributor advance system that need lubrication. Try take cap out and try gently turn rotor with your hand, if it does not turn; like there is a spring that counter your force, you have to open your distributor and clean old grease out or rust.

I have made "how-to-dismantle-one-without-braking-anything" guide to Lamborghini talk, "Weekend mechanic - My Countach DIY thread"

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u84/unknow82/Ct/jakaja7_zps2d1c0821.jpg

I have MSD in my 512BB
    Raymond's system in my Countach

15. Peter K.

Peter K. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter K.
    I agree that they can be restored. With the help of Chad and Degroot, my Jarama distributor was restored, not cheap though. BUT, I am told it starts with a bump of the key and revs pretty damn nice up to 7k.

16. Peter K.

Peter K. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter K.
    Also, I am on the fence with my Countach. I've always had this power loss problem on long inclines on the road. I was leaning to ignition but have recently sided with carbs. My recent test was not to move my foot on the pedal as it was "running out of power". About a 1/8-1/4 mile after leveling off and still not moving my foot.....the power came back full tilt. Very similar to running out of gas and then picking up the fuel again.

17. MiuraP400

MiuraP400 Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2008
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Sounds like a weak fuel pump.

In regards to the distributor cap and rotor, I would inspect them and reuse them if they are in good shape. They do not go bad anywhere neer as often as people think. Look for carbon tracking and cracks. If they are clean they can run for over 200K miles.

Cheers Jim

18. Peter K.

Peter K. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter K.
    It's funny you say that, was thinking same thing. Could swear one or both's clicking wasn't slowing down as much.

19. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    #19 staatsof, Dec 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I don't know if this will help but take a look and see.
    I converted my Espada dizzy to Pertronix and in the process of doing so I also converted to utilize the Marelli Jag V12 cap. I can't see any difference in quality if it's an actual Marelli cap. In order to do so I made a conversion mount out of aluminum to sit atop the distributor shaft so that it could accept a Marelli Jag rotor which mounts on a flat surface with a pair of screws instead of a long bolt through the shaft. But it still centers on the shaft itself.

Zero issues.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. Michael Call

Michael Call Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 6, 2008
    S.L.C. Utah
    Full Name:
    Michael D. Call
    Staastof,
    Thanks for the VERY informative post:)

21. Jalpa_Mike

Jalpa_Mike F1 Rookie

Apr 2, 2004
    Sequim
    Full Name:
    Michael Wilson
    Michael,

Like Raymond said above, OKP is a good place to check. I see they have the Marelli S158E in stock for around 999 Euro in case yours can't be rebuilt:

OKP Parts and Engineering GmbH

If you want to investigate having it rebuilt check with Tom Meadows in California:
    Marelli Service

Mike

Mike

22. Tom rebuilt mine. Works great.

23. vaholtorf

vaholtorf Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Victor Holtorf

I have one good complete one for sale also.

24. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Glad it WAS of some help.

I don't know what the "Pertonix issues" are these days. As you can see from the document, I made the kit up out of their parts and then closely checked everything with it's operation. Perhaps some of the recently available kits for the V12 Lamborghini's aren't assembled so carefully?

25. deangpsx8

deangpsx8 Formula Junior

May 2, 2008
    Melbourne-Australia
    Full Name:
    Dean C