What Kind Of Reaction Do You Get With Your 3X8? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What Kind Of Reaction Do You Get With Your 3X8?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Iced Coffee, Dec 18, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. airdelroy

airdelroy Formula Junior

May 10, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Richardson
    I get more attention when I drive my MGB... go figure.

Aaron

2. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Tonight I was driving home in the 308 and was stopped at a stoplight. Two old ladies (80+ years of age) pulled up next to me in a white Camry. They looked at me and the one in the passenger seat rolled down her window. She scooted up tall in her seat so that I could just barely see her eyes (with glasses) and then her smile. She looked at me and then shouted, "NICE WHEELS!" I laughed as they both smiled and gave me a thumbs up. I replied that it's "an oldie but goodie." Although it may not be that old to them. One of the more fun interactions I've had with any of my cars.

3. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    I get lots of nice car comments and thumbs up from guys and young boys. Girls pay no attention. People seem to think it's new. Amazed at the timelessness of the design.

4. Tire Fryer

Tire Fryer Karting

Feb 18, 2013
    Farmers Branch, TX
    Full Name:
    Christopher Williams
    Mike, I get mild attention with my 308 GTBi in Dfw. Mostly from the over 40 or under 10 age groups. I occasionally get photos, but most just ask "what is it?" My car is not as flashy with it being black, so color plays a lot into it. If you want a fun Italian experience, and a very analog car, go for it. Mine has been a ton of fun, and very reliable.

5. Iced Coffee

Iced Coffee Karting

Dec 27, 2012
    Willow Park, Texas
    Full Name:
    Mike N.
    May be picking your brain in a very short time Chris. A black 308 QV might be just the thing for me.

6. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    Same as most here. Most people give you a thumbs up, say they really like your car, etc., you also get the village idiot that wants to race you (no matter if he is in a new turbo v6 with twice the hp, or a POS truck hauling a trailer), or someone who has a chip on their shoulder because some how life didn't just hand them the keys to an exotic. It all depends of where you are and if the people there respect other peoples property.

At the same time, most people think the car is worth a million because to has the Ferrari badge.

7. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I couldn't even get my 308 off the Horse and Carriage truck, which was the first time that I had seen the car in person, before someone driving by called me an a_ _ hole. It even surprised the Horse and Carriage driver who delivers exotics all day long. He said that was the first time that he had ever heard that reaction before which I have to admit was the last time that I heard it as well. Probably had something to do with where I was living at the time. The best is when you come up behind someone and everyone in the car turns around to take a look!

8. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Reactions like that say a lot more about the guy than about you or the car.

9. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    I've actually gotten the middle finger from people before, but you have to consider where I live. In New Jersey, it's not uncommon to get the finger for just existing. Yeah, our people are special. ;)

10. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Clarify this: South Jersey. ;)

I drive my Red/Tan 308GTB everywhere. NYC, Conn, PA...everywhere.
    I always get smiles, thumbs-up, pictures taken - even from moving cars. She gets lots of love - all age brackets, all nationalities, both genders. In NYC, even the cabbies show respect and give me room. Now that's something! She's never been dissed.

Just last week I took her to pick up Empanadas & Colombian coffee at a Colombian restaurant. A dad pulled into a spot opposing the car and brought his 5(ish) year old daughter by the hand over to see the car. He was very respectful and gushing enthusiasm to his daughter. The wife just jumped out of the SUV and didn't seem to get all love. Perhaps she was jealous?

These cars are ICONS and very rare. share the love.

11. nitro

nitro Karting

Dec 9, 2012
    Snowmass/KenCaryl
    This thread is awesome. Last year my wife and I had our 308 in the local auto show and my wife's face was priceless when we didn't win the category for best 80's car. She was so pissed that some American car won. She says, "I walked up and down this show and no car had more photos and photo requests than our 308....not one."

People, not judges, love our cars. They also know how special it is to get up close and personal with one of these cars in an area that has a Corvette, Firebird and Camaro and every street corner.

12. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    I surprised at the number people reporting negative reactions. Worrisome.

In the 2,000 miles and 9 months I've owned my 308, I have had nothing but positive reactions. I hope it doesn't change. So far so good.

I think it is cool when one of those guys with the lowered-down loud-mufflered Honda-type cars - the ones we love to disparage - strikes up a conversation at a filling station. They are "car guys" too.

A couple of months ago, I was returning to the car at a hardware store parking lot and someone was taking pictures with an iPhone. They just said they liked the car.

Hearing the "Magnum p.i." theme blaring from a mobile phone is a bit much, but respect that it is being played in good humor.

At "Cars & Coffee" events, the 308 seems to garner as much attention as any of the other Ferraris, perhaps even more.

13. 308gtsqv

308gtsqv Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2008
    Mass/Cape Cod
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I get a lot of odd looks. I think its because of my age (29) most folks expect some "old guy" driving it haha. I do hear a lot of "wow thats awesome!" and "vintage.. Niiice!" Very little negative.

My boss has a 430 spider and I think he gets more of the negative looks from people, where the 308 is more of an iconic classic car that makes people smile when they see it. Very different reactions from what we gathered.

14. anastasio

anastasio Karting

Dec 9, 2011
    mexico city
    Full Name:
    anastasio
    i have only gotten amazing responses, I do have a 308 GT4, so it is very very rare in Mexico, everyone knows via magnum the 308, but most people have never seen a GT4, I catch them going around it in parking lots, taking photos, and leaving fingerprints in the side windows, one guy actually asked me if it was a lambo with ferrari badges , it made my day, I laughed for a couple of blocks.
    So, I always get thumbs up, photos, and the obligatory question, how fast does it go?, to which I answer, faster that Im willing to go. nobody can beleive it is a 36 year old car .

15. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    The answer I use whenever "How fast does it go?" comes up is, "The speedometer says 180!"

16. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    I'm going to drive around with it blaring. What?

17. ztarum

ztarum Formula 3

Mar 30, 2008
    South Jersey, USA
    That's actually a pretty astute observation given the Bertone styling. Not knowing what it was ahead of time, and lacking any badges, I would probably peg it as a Lamborghini too just based on the shape.

18. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I usually get very positive comments- beautiful car etc... kids sometime notice it - when driving it I dont really notice anyone looking ... but my wife says every male we past is looking... so i guess its still a "looker" .... you see a lot of Ferrari's every day here in Atlanta but not many 328's out in the wild. mostly 430's & 360's.... and cali's

19. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    I get HUGELY positive reactions. Only one negative in four and a half years of ownership.

When I first got it people went nuts for it everywhere and once I moved to GA people did the same. Now that its been as visible around the area for a while the reactions have gotten much milder, but when I do take it out somewhere new the people who do recognize it for what it is give hugely positive reactions.

Even parking at Wal-Mart I tend to park further out and will, almost without question, come back to find people looking at it or parking next to it.

@Iron Chef - it is a black QV

PDG

20. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I guess it's all a matter of where you live.

I'm not saying I haven't gotten some positive comments but I'd say the majority lately (past year or two) have been negative, even from other Ferrari owners who offer the "when are you going to get a 'real' Ferrari [12 Cyl]" comment.

I did have a kid at the grocery store parking lot take a cell-phone pic of it. But at literally the same time - within minutes - a 30-something (I'm guessing) mother of a couple of kids commented, "Do you have so much money that wasting it on that thing doesn't matter or is your family suffering because of your little boy-toy?"

21. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Your missing an opportunity....
    "No Honey, they aren't looking at the car, but the hottie sitting next to me."

"Excuse me, ma'am. Would you allow me to buy you a copy of Emily Post's Etiquette book?"

22. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    It doesn't pay to overthink the negative remarks. Getting into the heads of such people is a scary trip.

23. chrisbinsb

chrisbinsb F1 Rookie

Oct 20, 2011
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Chris B
    In the two years I've had mine, it's been nearly all positive comments. I don't notice that it gets undue attention but our area has a lot of high-end cars so it doesn't stand out so much as it might elsewhere. I have not had people trying to race me on the highway or at lights. That said, I did have my employee with me in the car the other day and she commented when we got back to the office that she noticed a lot of people staring at the car - guess I don;t see it since I'm driving.

Comments I get are generally the same - how fast?, how much?, how old?, is that a 308?, that the magnum car, right? Can't recall anything negative.

24. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Great line. I'll be using that next time :)

25. johnhunt

johnhunt Formula Junior

Aug 9, 2013
    Washington
    Full Name:
    John Hunt
    Well what do you expect when the delivery truck is blocking the guys driveway :D