Poor Quality Paintwork | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Poor Quality Paintwork

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Traveller, Nov 15, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey Karting

Jul 29, 2009
    Florida
    My wife has a 2013 Rolls Royce Ghost in metallic black with a satin silver hood. Cost about the same price as my 458. The paint is absolutely perfect in every respect. Not one single defect anywhere and I have gone over every inch of that car. No orange peel, no dirt, no imperfections at all. If Rolls Royce can do a perfect job then so can Ferrari. There is no excuse. To say "oh well its not the paint that makes a Ferrari a Ferrari" is like saying "its the paint that makes a Rolls Royce a Rolls Royce".
    Errr..... not true !!!!
    My 458 paint is not perfect in any respect, but it wasn't that bad it needed correction. They need to improve in this area greatly and they also need to have better QC to stop all the paint inconsistencies.

2. x z8

x z8 Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    A Rolls Royce IS purchased for different reasons than a Ferrari. If you want a Rolls Royce finish I suggest you buy a Rolls Royce.

If you don't understand that then you won't be happy with a Ferrari.

I think Ferrari has a better understanding of what their customers need. Buy what you like...

3. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Every new Ferrari I bought needed a Paint Correction, in the end, my guy took care of it and the car looked great, as Jeffrey stated, there is more to a Ferrari than the Paint Quality.

4. Ice9

Ice9 Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Ice9
    It's not that big an issue given that the paint can be detailed to the owner's level of clarity. As an earlier posted said, I would rather Ferrari get the "total package" right.

We've come a long way from a decade ago when cars were sucking the exhaust intakes into the engines! If this is our biggest issue -- one that is relatively cheap and easy to identify and correct -- then Ferrari is doing a great job.

5. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Emu feathers. :cool:

6. RossoNero

RossoNero Karting

Sep 7, 2012
    JHB, South Africa
    Full Name:
    Henry
    #131 RossoNero, Dec 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi guys,

As some of you may know, I needed an independent report from a knowledgeable shop on the work that would be required to repair the score marks on the front of my car from the dealer's clear bra installer.

I asked the local Swissvax agent to oblige, and he gave the entire car a once over. The following is an extract from the report that confirms what so many others in this thread have highlighted.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

We are customers. Something tells me they aren't understanding very well.

What you really mean to say is Ferrari has a better idea of convincing customers to accept less and like it.

8. x z8

x z8 Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    No. You are a potential customer.

Ferrari is not delivering less. In fact, they are delivering their best product in their history.

Most Ferrari customers are satisfied enough and will continue to purchase their product. It's the value of the total package.

To quote you... Maybe we complain too much?

Of course, there are material failures from time to time that should not be put up with.

9. wlt

wlt Karting

Feb 15, 2013
    Dallas
    +++

+++

Thanks man for speaking the truth!

The paint on my 458 is very fine.

First time in my life I have felt that a "thing" can have soul. This is what Ferrari has accomplished. I cannot imagine having the same feeling for a ghost or phantom, or an aston, or anything else for that matter, all very fine marques and incredibly engineered cars.

Btw - the exhaust has made a huge black spot on the wall in the garage, I'm so proud of it :)

10. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Interesting data re: paint thickness
    The tri-coat paint on my 458 measured @ 325 microns=3 layers
    My V Coupe had @ 250 microns which is a metallic 2 stage paint
    The detailers Volvo had @ 130 microns being a standard color so it fell in line with the others

11. ninja_eli

ninja_eli Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    Ali
    I gave up on Ferrari, not because of the paint work, but because of the general quality of the V8 cars. I'm not a V12 buyer; those cars do not appeal to me at all.

The reason I gave up was because for years I just accepted that they were crap quality cars, but I liked the pininfirina designs (and still do, I think the 458 is a lovely looking machine). But then when the repeated problems were never resolved, and Ferrari HQ's attitude towards it was more that it was an annoyance for them, and they kept brushing the issue under the carpet under the warranty expired. Luckily our legal system here in the UK is pretty decent and the car was bought back from me.

I realise my attitude was one of the reasons Ferrari has adopted its attitude. I am party to creating the monster.

Until they improve, I buy other marques. I think when it's your first or second Ferrari, you're VERY forgiving. By the time it's your fifth, you start to realise you shouldn't be so accepting of failure.

My 360 was the only car that didn't have any real issues. Daily driver and it coped very well. It wasn't a great car, and the quality wasn't amazing, but it did it's job well enough, even if the handling wasn't really very good.

12. x z8

x z8 Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    I don't blame you. I understand. I also had a 360. The fit and finish of the 458 is leaps and bounds better. I presume it will be much more reliable. I shall see. This is my fourth Ferrari. From my point of view they have vastly improved over time. The pleasure and excitement is priceless. Therefore, it's worth it if I can afford it.

13. Aww100

Aww100 Karting

Mar 17, 2014
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Does this mean paint meter readings doesn't mean anything on Fcars?
    Because the paint is inconsistent?

14. Voda

Voda Formula 3

Oct 10, 2013
    Seattle
    #139 Voda, Mar 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    To throw another angle into the mix; I just think that Ferrari paints poorly all the way around. Here is a pic of Steve McQueen's 275gtb that was fresh out of the Ferrari Classiche restoration on display in the Ferrari Museum. Sure it looks good in pics (every car on ebay does too) and from 3 feet away, but when I was upclose it didn't take me or my wife long before we both looked at each other and said something about the imperfections. I just expected it to be flawless, and it wasn't. And this is a one-of-a-kind (Steve McQueen) car, not the "mass produced" cars referred to thus far in the thread.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. montpellier

montpellier Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2009
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Personally I don't get why Ferrari cannot get their paint sorted, other premium low volume makers can do it , so can Ferrari. It will not stop people (myself included) buying cars, and I personally have not had a a car as bad as some stated here. I also preclude the notion that Ferrari do not care, having worked a little with Felisa, there is not a hope on earth he is not searching for perfection in every area of the car.

As for reliability, yes the mechanical side on engines has been solid for years now, but gearbox and electrical gremlins still persist. How many threads do you read with people getting warning lights. Ferrari is not yet Porsche reliable, but it is getting there. No other car gives you the emotional appeal, and whilst many love Lambo, over the years they have become more VW group derived. Ferrari is Ferrari, for all its foibles , and long may it last as every other car seems to strive to remove any ounce of emotional attachment.

16. Aww100

Aww100 Karting

Mar 17, 2014
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I am buying a Fcar today so I used the paint meter to check the paint.
    Read 5/5.5 on the hood, 6/6.5 on fenders and up to 8.5 at the trunk lid.
    I looked at the sales guy and he didn't know how to answer.
    It's a blu scozia custom paint. I just don't know how to explain this to the future buyer and to tell him/her to ignore this and there was no accident.

17. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    I assume you are reading thickness in mils, so your readings were about 125-150 microns on the hood; 150-165 microns on the fenders; and up to 215 microns on the trunk lid. What do you think is the significance of this?

18. Richietheruler

Richietheruler Karting
    BANNED

Mar 24, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Sir Richie The Ruler
    The significance is that it appears that the car has been repainted twice and you have to explain it away some how because why would ferrari put less coats of paint on certain areas ? That could happen in custom job of a kit car but it shouldn't and these are not kit cars.

The vast majority of owners do not notice this issue so it will continue.

19. Richietheruler

Richietheruler Karting
    BANNED

Mar 24, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Sir Richie The Ruler
    On September 1, 2010 Ferrari officially recalled all 1,248 of the 458s sold to date. A spokesman commented that the problem had been traced to adhesive used in the wheel-arch assemblies and that, in certain circumstances, the glue could begin to overheat, smoke and even catch fire. In extreme cases the melting adhesive could lead to the heat shield deforming, and hence moving closer to the exhaust, causing the wheel-arch lining to catch fire. Owners who had reported fires, that were later confirmed by independent engineers to be due to this problem, will now receive a new car. All other cars will be modified replacing the adhesive with mechanical fasteners.

Engine freeze
    In 2012, Ferrari recalled certain 2011 and 2012 cars because the engine can freeze suddenly and possibly cause a crash. The F136 engines have crankshafts that were machined incorrectly. The automaker learned of one such incident from a review car lent to critics. Owners can choose from having a new engine installed by their dealer, having the engine removed and the work done by Ferrari North America or having a new crankshaft and bearings installed at the dealership.

-Wiki

20. deppi0

deppi0 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Edmondo
    Are you comparing paint quality issues with the above recalls? I highly doubt Ferrari would ever do anything really big about the paint. Lots of other manufacturers have paint issues and if you really read well in the Forums you can see that others are not happy as well.
    Does Ferrari have a bigger problem than most? Probably yes but as many of us has said in here 95% of owners either don't care or can't see the differences..

21. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    + Rosso corsa :D

22. Aww100

Aww100 Karting

Mar 17, 2014
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    The paint I have is a custom 10K out of range job.
    I guess when it's hand painted custom job the quality is not uniform.
    That's how I will explain. Funny a PPI didn't use a paint meter to check.

23. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    Does your meter measure the paint and clear coat combined for one reading? Or do you have the more expensive gauge that can measure each reading separately? If the former, you are reading thicker clear coat measurements, which is typically not as uniform as the paint itself. Not saying that there is no fluctuation in paint but it's likely the clear, which is heavier in spots.

Also, if they have to sand an area for some reason, they will go back and maybe hit that spot with another shot of clear, which will build up.

24. NSXLuvr

NSXLuvr Formula Junior

Oct 3, 2006
    Tx
    Full Name:
    Ritesh
    +100. I have bought 2 McLaren's, a Maserati GT spider and a Hyundai Equus in the past 2.5 years. ALL OF THEM had some paint issues. Every single one of them. The Maserati and my 2nd McLaren had the best quality though they still have Orange peel. Actually - ALL OF THEM had Orange Peel.

I can find flaws in every single car! Sometimes I wish my eye wasn't so sharp. UGH!

25. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Yes. They all do have orange peel.
    I recall my '80 512BB finished in Glasurit lacquer of the time. The finish was completely flat and mirror like. In addition the lacquer was so soft you would work it by hand; any machine was too much. This was both good and bad, of course. It was in a different universe from modern finishes, even if the clear coat has made them tougher.