What Kind Of Reaction Do You Get With Your 3X8? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

What Kind Of Reaction Do You Get With Your 3X8?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Iced Coffee, Dec 18, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. david

david Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2001
    Northwest
    Full Name:
    david
    For these rude people who have a knack for knowing your business, I have a general purpose retort that can be modified for almost any situation. In this case, you politely tell her that actually your wife died recently and your family's suffering is really none her business. Then you walk away.

Maybe in the future she will be a little less eager to pass judgement on things she knows nothing about.

2. david

david Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2001
    Northwest
    Full Name:
    david
    BTW, back on topic. I generally meet the nicest people in gas stations or parking lots or wherever the car is. Everyone loves to talk about it and ask the usual questions. It also gets the looks on the road. When you think about how rarely you actually see a 308 in the wild, it's understandable why people react the way they do.

Only once have I gotten a bad reaction. I was at a light and traffic was crossing. A huge dump truck was going through the intersection and the driver blasted the horn and was giving the finger. I was looking around figuring someone had cut him off or something. Well there was nothing going on and everyone was going about their business. So I got to thinking, maybe that was directed at me.

But maybe not. Either way, it didn't ruin my life. It did make me wish I had truck horns in the 308 though. Those things are loud.

3. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

4. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    I reckon my score over 10 years is about:
    positive: 1 per drive
    negative: 2 total

Probably the best fun and most attention was when for a mate's sister's wedding we used the 308 (driven by a girlfriend of mine) to drive the groom, and had 3 Fiat 500s (red, white and green - it was an Italian wedding) for the groomsmen and as we drove through the city centre, people at traffic lights were literally cheering, yelling and waving!

Generally though I don't like the self-consciousness of being scrutinized (I'm a pint-sized female in a GTS...) but I figured out a long time ago I just have to put up with it if I want to enjoy my car.

5. barabba

barabba Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2007
    Ticino / Zurich
    My 328 is mostly noticed by small kids, they seem to love it.
    My CS gets quite o lot more attention by all age brackets!

So far no negative reactions.

6. Pantera1523

Pantera1523 Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2004
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Scott Carpenter
    I've gotten a few thumbs up from Corvette drivers. In my area my 308 doesn't get the same attention that my 360 gets. I guess it helps that there is a fairly decent looking 308 kit car running around in my area. I was even fooled by it until I noticed the exposed gas door in the rear fender. I suppose that one helps me fly under the radar a bit. :)

I did have one really memorable reaction from an older gentleman at a gas station once. He was quietly walking around the 308 taking it in from all sides. Finally he looks at me and says " is this the new Mustang". I was almost embarrassed to tell him it was a Ferrari... He said "Oh! I saw those horses on there and thought it was a Mustang..." I just smiled and explained that Mustangs are running and these horses are prancing. He just shrugged and shuffled off...

Most people that do react to it seem pretty favorable. I too have been called "Magnum" though at only 5'6" I more resemble Higgins.

7. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    I mentioned this before, but when kids with their parents at gas stations or parking lots seem interested or currious about the 308 I give them a random Ferrari Hot Wheels car. I bought a bunch of 308s, but getting low on those. ;)

Hopefully some day a kid grows up and buys a 308 because once upon a time some really cool nice guy in a Ferrari encouraged a dream.

8. Aurum

Aurum Karting

Nov 4, 2009
    CT
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I get thumbs up from over 40s, and classic muscle car guys. From the kids (teens and twenty year olds) I get "what kind of car is that?", which I always reply "what do you think?", to which they almost always reply "a Lamborghini?" followed by my explanation that is a very good guess and the history of the little Berone designed Dino. Everyone that has seen the car before in photos says it is stunning, much better than the photos! Which I whole heatedly agree with. People that have driven in the car with me all smile like small children with the go-cart like performance.

9. Aurum

Aurum Karting

Nov 4, 2009
    CT
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I hope that someday, 20 years from now when I sell her, the person shows me a hot wheels car that some cool guy gave him! You are a true ambassador for the 308, and you should be emulated by entire community, I know I'm going to! Great idea!

10. Renato

Renato Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2013
    New York
    I've received quite a few thumbs up, but a true testament to the 308's beauty is whan a woman admiringly looked it over, front to back, and said "it's beautiful, what kind of car is it?". :)

11. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    In my few weeks of 308 QV ownership, I've gotten nothing but very positive reactions every time I drive it (without fail) - not an easy thing as there are plenty of exotics and beautiful cars around where we live.

The best comment yet: yesterday we drove out to the coast (Santa Cruz) for a nice walk near the ocean and street-parked in the same quiet neighborhood we usually park in. When coming back to the car, the owner of the house we parked in front of comes out towards the car. I was half expecting him to be pissed off for having parked in front of his house. His reaction: "my wife had told me that my Xmas gift was in front of the house - I guess that beautiful Ferrari isn't it?!?". Made both my wife and I chuckle! =)

Happy holidays!

Ruben

12. WazzaT

WazzaT Karting

Oct 27, 2012
    australia
    Full Name:
    wazza t
    #62 WazzaT, Dec 23, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
    I recently had a young guy at the lights in a big V8 ask me if I wanted to swap my 308 GT4. While I was considering this he added 'not for my car, for my wife!' She wasn't bad either, fortunately the lights turned green before I had to make a decision. Wazza.

13. Furanku

Furanku Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2009
    It seems in my 3 weeks ownership history of a silver 308GTB in Japan, that I'm running rather low profile in the streets of Tokyo. Little people notice the car, but probably the color and the fact it is not very loud are factors here. At cars gatherings, the 308 does attract some people, even when parked next to a 288 GTO. OK, less attention than the GTO, but still some. I don't think I'll get middle fingers from Japanese people, they are not the kind of people who'd do that. Smiles I do get, but mostly I'm ignored, which is fine by me.

As a general comment, I have been in various exotics here, and those generally get little attention. Even the F40 seemed mainly invisible to most people, same thing with the 288 GTO, that I have driven for quite a lot of miles here. The only car that seemed to attract real attention was the Countach, for some reason. I'm guessing that there are too many noisy Japanese sports cars, and that people who are not car freaks just can't tell the difference between an old Nissan 300ZX and a Ferrari.

14. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    The most positive and funiest reaction was when I took the Channel tunnel from the UK to France. I stopped at the passport check booth, but as my car is LHD I couldn't reach out to the border guard to hand over my passport. So I proceeded to step out of my car when the - attractive female - guard also got out of her booth. Not because she wanted to check my passport, but because she wanted to check out the 308! She was very excited and full of compliments. After some pleasant chit-chat (there was no line behind me) I got back in my car and went on my way, when I realized that she forgot to check my passport! :)

15. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Did you get her number?

16. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    I don't think my SO would've appreciated that :)

17. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I don't think that was the question.

18. Iced Coffee

Iced Coffee Karting

Dec 27, 2012
    Willow Park, Texas
    Full Name:
    Mike N.
    Great thread folks. Appreciate all the great responses. Looking forward to 308 ownership!

19. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Usually panties just explode...but sometimes they do vaporize. Have to be ready for either contingency.

20. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    There was a great old member of the local Ferrari club here, very well off, who owned a number of beautiful Ferraris. He was native Italian and spoke with a heavy accent, and had made a fortune in real estate in NY. As he told the story, one day he was driving one of his Enzos (yes, he had several, and an FXX), he stopped at a light, and a young guy in a Toyota pickup pulled up along side, leaned across his pretty young girlfriend, and yelled over "Want to trade??" Without missing a beat, in his thick Italian accent, he yelled back "Okay -- you givva me you age, I givva you my car." With that, the light changed and he took off, waving to the young guy and his companion.

21. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I was in Japan a few weeks ago and saw a Countach on my way to the hotel from Narita. It was dark outside, however, I believe that it was a shade of red.

22. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Benny was great. Somehow I ended up with his F40 LM spare parts package. I like to think that he is looking down and appreciates it.

23. Rich S

Rich S Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2013
    Monterey, California
    Full Name:
    Rich Saylor
    Well, I guess I've got the perfect combination... a Prius for practical (50~60 MPG on trips), a Disco for hauling just about anything, anywhere (but only 17 MPG on a REALLY GOOD day), and of course the 328 GTS Ferrari, because I really LIKE it! Wealthy trust fund kid? No. Practical working professional, save-your-money, that's me. For when you need it! And of course I NEEDED the Ferrari....

24. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Went to Gettysberg for the afternoon and went to get lunch. Parked behind the resturant in what I thought was an untraveled area. Anyway the line was 40 minutes to get a table so we left. Returning to the car there was a crowed gathered and yup it was around the car. First thought was oh s@&t someone hit my car! But no, deep discussion on how much the car probably cost. So joined the crowd as a gawker for awhile then finally took out the key and approached the driver side. Lot of "oh your car huh?" Folks all laughed and I just said well "the car isn't all that expensive" but the tough part is fitting in it for us tall guys. At my age and height it's a spectacle watching my graceful entrance and exit. Not. All were over 40 I would say but for one guys son. His mouth just hung open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25. Tokyo Drftr

Tokyo Drftr Formula 3

Jan 18, 2009
    UA-USA-JP
    Full Name:
    Ро&#1081
    i get preferential parking at a few italian restaurants in my area))))