The Michael Schumacher Career/Injury/Recovery Thread | Page 26 | FerrariChat

The Michael Schumacher Career/Injury/Recovery Thread

Discussion in 'F1' started by NürScud, Dec 29, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    +1 Good point. It should be cordoned off.

2. DMC308

DMC308 F1 Rookie

Aug 19, 2006
    Seattle/Noosa
    Full Name:
    D
    I just read on BBC his condition has improved. Awesome news for the New Year!

3. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Businessweek's reporter used the term "extremely grave" instead of "extremely serious", as was reported by everyone else. Regardless of the accuracy of the statement, it's simply irresponsible to change the doctors' words for dramatic effect. They could claim 'bad translation' but everyone else seemed to get it correct.

Reading Dr. Hartstein's entries suggest things were very touch-and-go yesterday, but it's still urgent that journalists remain objective while disseminating news.

Every hour that goes by with no further complications is a good thing. The first 48 hours are always the most critical.

4. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Looks to me that he got real unlucky, hitting a rock under the snow then taking a severe hit on another rock.

It happens speed or not, trouble is essentially he would have known he was off piste and normally be perfectly happy and skilled enough to be there.

5. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    News on here now states slight improvement, that's it.

It's touch and go, but myself I reckon he will pull through, I'am convinced he will have the best treatment that can be had.

6. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Couldn't disagree more!

Not steep, coverage is OK from the uphill side as always and it's simply a little 'powder stash'. People ski/ride that kind of terrain ALL the time, no problem. You grind your edge(s) on the downside occasionally (this is why we have 'rock' skis) but it's all good.

Taking away that kind of terrain and may as well limit everyone to the groomers! Sorry, but no thanks!

As I said earlier, just terrible, terrible luck.

Cheers,
    Ian

7. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    The same is being reported here. The more time that passes, the better I feel about his chances.

8. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
  9. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    If this is true, then it is indeed shocking, sickening and disgusting. I hope the guilty party is fired and publicly humiliated.

10. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

And please see post #606.

Cheers,
    Ian

11. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    Simply a little coma. People get them all the time. Let's leave it open for the next one. Good idea.

12. gjv

gjv Karting

Feb 20, 2012
    Georgia

and also confirmed that a man tried to enter as a priest. What a sick person!
    See this link: Schumacher accident just 'very, very unfortunate' - GPUpdate.net

16:01 – Michael Schumacher’s spokeswomen Sabine Kehm has said the skiing accident that has left the seven-time F1 world champion fighting for his life in a Grenoble hospital was just down to ‘extreme bad luck’.

“I think after having spoken to several people that were with Michael at the strip, at the moment [of the accident], that Michael and the group had been skiing on slopes that were normal slopes,” she told reporters.

“There was a blue slope and a red slope and in between there was a part that was deep snow and Michael went into that. But even after that, it would seem from everything people have told me that he was not even travelling at high speed as he had helped a friend who had just fallen on the piste.

“So he started to ski again, went into this deep snow and apparently what we guess is he hit a rock when he wanted to do a curve and he was kind of catapulted in the air and apparently went head down hitting another rock. It was extreme bad luck and unfortunate circumstances and not because he was speeding too much. It was something and I have spoken to several people - including ski instructors - and they say it can happen at 10kph. It is just very, very unfortunate.”

Meanwhile, she also confirmed that an unnamed journalist tried to gain access to Schumacher’s hospital room by dressing up as a priest.

“Apparently a journalist dressed as a priest had tried to gain access to Michael's room,” Kehm told Die Welt.

“I wouldn't have ever imagined something like this could happen.”

13. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Sorry man. I assume you're not a skier/rider.

It's just incredibly bad luck. Skiing remains a pretty safe sport - we had one death out of tens of thousands of skier days at 'my' resort last year, and that was a kid who fell off a lift. Sure, bones get broken and knees messed up, but *please* no more nanny state!....

Me, and I know a few others here, only ride the groomed runs to get to the trees/rocks and hence the powder. And believe me, I have no death wish whatsoever, just want to ride the good stuff.

Cheers,
    Ian

14. atomicskiracer

atomicskiracer Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    #639 atomicskiracer, Dec 31, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Exactly. Last january a few buddies and I hiked a roughly two miles from the nearest lift to get to the good stuff in Utah, it will remain one of the best experiences of my life. Some people just don't understand, and its impossible to explain it to them.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    Maybe I need to clarify my thoughts. I'm not a skier yes. But I think you're jumping to political conclusions to an Orwellian "nanny state"--something I would never support. I'm not supportive of some giant "collective" or communist state of regulation towards skiing. I don't even care about skiing or what people do there.

I've done my share of dangerous things assuming the risk. One not need be a skier to comprehend the dangers of recreational sports. I've raced BMX before, something much more dangerous than skiing. And I assumed the risk. You can't legislate anything to protect me from my own actions.

Therefore, everyone assumes the risk in anything they do. And everything is allegedly safe until someone dies doing it; hence, people die doing safe things all of the time. You can't protect people from life itself. And I don't expect it.

I'm just saying to cordon off the tiny area of the jagged rocks--not to restrict the entire planet from skiing snow covered slopes LOL. That said, I think the ski resort ought to tape the area off. But if they don't then oh well. That's their choice.

By the way, cheers to you. I am trying to find common ground between us :) Even if the slope remains unmarked or unwarned, I hope and pray that Michael opens his eyes and walks and enjoys his life. Being that he is the philanthropist he may open up a foundation in aid of coma victims or something like that. Let us pray hard for him. He's a man facing an incredible challenge.

16. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #641 tifosi12, Dec 31, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
    I have a hard time believing that.

17. Giovanni_P

Giovanni_P Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    MetroWest, MA
    Full Name:
    John Pelliccio
    Wasn't he skiing off-piste? The area WAS cordoned off- it wasn't part of a marked slope.

You can't expect the resort to go around marking hazards on every square meter of off-trail terrain- just the paths that are marked and mapped, no?

JP

18. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Fair enough, understood. And FWIW, I completely agree with those sentiments.

Indeed. But as a rider, I know we'd have folks ducking under the cordon to get to the powder! That's what 'we' live for! Sure, we know going in there's rocks there, often trees and sink holes too, but it's worth it!..... As Atomicskiracer noted, if you don't do it, you don't get it. I've seen nothing in the pix that suggests it should have been closed. That's pretty 'standard' terrain and as noted earlier, not even very steep or gnarly looking.

Absolutely! Again, couldn't agree more.

Sorry for the hijack!

Cheers,
    Ian

19. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    I don't think he ever implied that nor did I. That's a silly conclusion. It is about that tiny area specifically--should be taped off--especially since this is such a high profile case. Why is the conclusion being drawn that people who suggest flagging that specific rocky area with tape somehow demand that the entire Earth be flagged and taped off?

20. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    When I saw the first photos I was amazed that there could be so dangerous a section in the middle of two runs without any warnings.
    I'm well aware that other countries take a more sane approach to personal responsibility than we do in the U.S. But, from the photos, this seems to be deserving signage at the least.
    Having said that Michael is very familiar with that mountain and must be aware of that spot. That, along with the fact that he was sking with his son, makes me think that he wasn't taking any great risks but was caught out by a freak set of circumstances.

Godspeed Michael.

21. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Please go and check video and piste map someone posted a while back. It was a tiny ungroomed section between two (blue and red) groomers. The kind of thing any off-groomer skier spends all day looking for! Particularly when skiing with family and friends who aren't as good.... Just a little duck into the pow, I'll see you back on the trail!....

Cheers,
    Ian

22. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    Ok cheers and gentleman's handshake ;)

I understand exactly what you're saying. I've snuck in and broken the rules thousands of times in differing circumstances. It's just human nature. And that cannot be absolutely regulated.

23. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    Yes. That is all I was ever saying.

Again if they don't mark it off or somehow make it impassable--after this high profile famous trauma from a name-brand sports hero--then that is their choice. Assume the risk. Skiing in general is dangerous.

24. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    How safe is your resort?

http://www.calskisafety.org/documents/CSSSO-reportcrd_FINAL.PDF

25. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Again, honestly, no big deal. It was open, the terrain was visible and it doesn't appear very steep.

Should the terrain in the pic below be 'cordoned off'?

+1

I don't think we'll ever know what really happened, but as Sabine has said it seems he hit something and somehow got 'catapulted' over and onto another rock. Just incredibly bad luck it seems.

Godspeed indeed.

PhGal-Featured Photos

Pic from earlier this season at Kirkwood BTW.

Cheers,
    Ian