Attention all Garage Queens, 355Spider 102,000 Miles | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Attention all Garage Queens, 355Spider 102,000 Miles

Discussion in '348/355' started by Cavallino Motors, Jan 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    Martin, I'm impressed with your info. Will look for it at Cavallino/Moroso.

2. Dino

Dino Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    San Diego
    It is both comforting and confidence inspiring to see the 355 modern F-car capable of handling that many miles-presumably with little complications. Martin--is it 6-speed of F-1??

Dino

3. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    let me give you a brief update.
    Those that have asked for the car and wanted a trade-in. Sorry guys but this will be a cash only deal and I do not even take other trades than Ferraris. No Ps no NSXs. Sorry.

I am driving the car today since I took pictrues for ebay. The car is not on the auction. May take a few more minutes to post but will be there.
    starting $45,000

The car drives excellent. jump right away and although I thought it needs a clutch, it even feels llike there is still meat on it.
    it handles great and drives much stronger as other 355s I have driven. I guess all is blown out, the carbon built-up etc. Just plain fun.

What the car needs is some paint to cover the problems and I believe it will be a great car. Lots of more Miles left on this baby guys. LOTS!

4. milstanselnino

milstanselnino Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2004
    MN
    Full Name:
    Jon P.
    What an engaging conversation! I'd like to hear more about high-mileage Ferraris. I used my Mondial often for a 300 mile commute. It only broke down when I started driving it less.

I think it is wrong to be afraid of these machines.

5. ferrari_kid

ferrari_kid Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2003
    that's awesome to see a car like that. i was thinking that most owners never put more that 10k a year on their exotics.

6. Cavallino Motors

Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    This garage queen does not like its castle it apears :)

7. ChuckEBaby

ChuckEBaby Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 7, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Chuck
    Does it really surprise anyone that a Ferrari, driven daily, (especially
    hwy miles) maintained according to Factory recommendations would
    not see100K+ miles? ll statements I've observed indicate the more
    miles the better reliability and performance with very few issues.

Here's the Story:
    It's 850 +/- miles Orlando/Columbia S.C, Round trip. This guy made
    the trip once a month in his 60's and 70's.When he turned 80, he probably had a hard time scoring because his old mistress(s) were
    dying out, or left him for younger dudes. So he buys a Ferrari!
    Not a conservative, understated 456? No No!, he buys the Sporty
    355! You know, the one the young guys drive. Figures he'll increase
    his chances along the way and the attitude "Hey, what the Hell, I
    could die at anytime…Right?? HE HAD NO IDEA!! This guy, after
    one trip got SO lucky that he started making two trips a week!
    We're not talking Senior Center visits here, we're talking Beach
    Resorts, Restaurant Waitresses and Watering Holes along the
    entire I-95 corridor! At 80?, he's running an all 8 cylinders and
    feels like he's 50 years old all over again! And why is he selling?
    He can't pass the DMV eye exam… HE'S SCREWED HIMSELF BLIND!!

Moral of the Story

Whether it be your Ferrari, or your Johnson

Use it, or "slowly" Lose it!

8. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Same here Martin!

Also, please call him and tell him that just rocks! 102K miles, that's just great! The brakes/clutch - that's just an added bonus!

9. Bob308GTS

Bob308GTS Formula 3

Sep 26, 2001
    Aurora,IL
    Full Name:
    Bob Campen
    By normal Ferrari mileage ( dealers ) a 98 should have 6-8000 miles on it, figure .80 per mile over 8000, subtract $75200 from price. Inaddition subtract engine out service $6000, brakes $2500, clutch $2000, paint work $5000, total $90700. If you really twisted my arm I would take it from you at no cost to you. :)

Let me know

10. Cavallino Motors

Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    Bob,
    brake pads are $ 500 and the clutch is $1500. The paint/bodywork is $ 1200. So your calculation is off by $10,300. Maybe we can talk then?
    LOL :)

11. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Martin,

Which cars are you and Marion bringing tomorrow?? I'd like to take a peek at this thing............

-R

12. Bob308GTS

Bob308GTS Formula 3

Sep 26, 2001
    Aurora,IL
    Full Name:
    Bob Campen
    Martin
    This is really pushing it, but I will meet you halfway

$5000 cash :):):):):)

13. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    Martin, thanks for sharing this with us, it sounds like a great deal all the way around. thank you again for the help with the 1977 400i, i wish i had acted sooner, i would have given it a great home, even if it took me a while to get it on the road, the smiles would have been worth it!!!!!. i am still looking ......... michael

14. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    I'm amazed that the interior has held up so well after all these years and miles......or has it been redone in the past year or two?

15. Car looks great and interior but the rear wanna be challange grill is ugly. The interior does look really well for those miles.

16. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    3 day auction, no reserve. let's start guessing what it will sell for and to a FC user or not?

Martin, just IMHO I would put in there dealer records are on the way or here. Only thing that really turned me off was the comment that you haven't received the records yet.

My guess is a FC user will buy it for $62,500.

17. Cavallino Motors

Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.

Rob, in all honesty I do not think the car is worth that much. Well let me re-phrase that. The car is worth every penny but will likely sell for less.

I had a dealer call earlier that is bidding on the car. He was very interested.

As for the service records, I may not get them The Collection is just nuts about that crap. Unless you were the perosn that paid the bill they will not release the records. Shelton did fax me records on another car (15 pages) and will hand me the originals tomorrow on the track. Now that is customer service. Thanks Benn Corale at Shelton. If you ever consider buying there give my friend Benn a call!

The rear grill....well they had to do it since the car was constantly slightly overheating. It is a pre-Challenge grill fix for this car. Its an easy fix though.

I contacted Ted from Forza and told him the story. I hope he will get his editor to okay running a story on this guy. He truely is a story worth, as you all attest with your enthusiasm.

18. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    Sorry for this slightly off topic question as it's not about the car, but do you know what the guy bought to replace this car? Another Ferrari, or a v-12 Mercedes like I see so many older (well off) men drive? Great story!

I agree, the grill is really bad looking :(... Overall this is a good testiment to the 355 durability :)! Although I don't understand why the car was overheating- even given the Florida heat. Is overheating a 355 issue? - never recall hearing about it...

Good luck selling the car- I think it will get you good money relative to whatever you're in it for- good detailed description on ebay as well should give people confidence in bidding! Obviously having records are a key item, but I guess you can only do what you can do...and no reserve auction reflects that it's not a car with some crazy minimum price.

102K miles on the brakes- wow!

19. Cavallino Motors

Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    Guys,
    I just struck a deal with another dealer getting a 355Ch in trade for this car. He has a customer that wants this car. So it works out for him and for me and I finally have a Challenge car back in my stable.

Martin

BTW sorry but had to end the bidding early.

20. FAMILY MAN

FAMILY MAN Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    ** I owned a 1998 355 berlinetta s/n 110110 once upon a time. It was RED of course with TAN leather & six speed manual. I drove everyday rain or shine. I only owned it for six months due to an investment opportunity but throughly enjoyed it while it was mine. I logged over 13,ooo miles in five months and the dealer told me to stop driving it if I ever wanted to get decent money when I decided to sell.
    The car is reported to be in Mississippi with it's fourth owner at the present time. The last time I inquired, it had over 3o,ooo miles.
    Every model change Ferrari makes, they seem to get better. The cost of the cars go up and the service is still outrageous, but not many cars can equal a Ferrari.
    In 1996 I was in Scottsdale, AZ and saw a 1995 355 spider with over 25,ooo miles. Folks do DRIVE Ferraris on occasion. It was a ragged looking piece of work. I hope yours is nicer ... please post some photos soon.

FAMILY MAN

21. ewright

ewright Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    thanks very much for your advice! I guess there is hope for an f355 for me sometime soon...

ernie:)

22. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    This is reassuring. :)

23. 308tr6

308tr6 Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    SDakota
    Full Name:
    Rico
    I hope the guy buys himself a Ducati Panigale next.

24. apex97

apex97 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2006
    Stockbridge, GA
    Full Name:
    Edward Zabinski
    I love this thread...102,000 miles still running great! Drive em, drive m, drive em! It's interesting that Rob thought it would bring so much, I wonder if high miles cars can go UP in value after a certain point? What a strange world the 355 lives in.