Cromodora wheels marked Fiat | FerrariChat

Cromodora wheels marked Fiat

Discussion in '206/246' started by pk246gt, Sep 14, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pk246gt

pk246gt Karting

Apr 4, 2006
    Adelaide, Australia
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #1 pk246gt, Sep 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I noticed recently that there seems to be 3 different scripts on the Cromodora wheels.
    One type marked Dino; one a Fiat - large script, and one a Fiat - small script per images. can anyone can shed light on these, where they sit in the timeline etc?

(The 'Dino Compendium' notes that the 'Dino' style was on later E Series cars, question is where did the different Fiats scripts fit in...?)

Thanks, Paul.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. f328nvl

f328nvl Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2004
    Herts
    Full Name:
    John
    my understanding is that the top one lives on a "Ferrari" Dino, the bottom two on a FIAT Dino. is that about right?

3. per904

per904 Karting

Feb 28, 2009
    switzerland
    #3 per904, Sep 14, 2013
  4. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    From personal experience of my own cars and others I've observed at shows/for sale the large Fiat and Cromodora script looks to have featured on M series cars and some initial E series cars before the design was changed to the smaller script. According to the Compendium the introduction of the Dino script came when production of the Fiat Dino models ended.

5. rosemeyer

rosemeyer Karting

Aug 13, 2010
    My experience has been as follows having looked at about 30 cars over the last three years. Large script Fiat/Cromodora for the earlier cars, small script Fiat/Cromodora for the later cars and after both of these, the wheels labelled 'Dino'.

There are however exceptions which I have seen first hand. As an example, small script Fiat/Cromodora date stamped 1969, however these have been the exceptions. The chronology above seems to hold most of the time. For sure, however, the 'Dino' wheels come last. I don't believe it is possible BTW to pin down these changes to specific car serial numbers.

One other thing not mentioned is the drilling of the valve hole. I have seen three variations here as well. Small hole/no counterbore, small hole w/counterbore and large hole w/counterbore. This last variant is required on the earlier M series cars which use the Bridgeport 416 valve stem. I have seen these drilling options randomly on both the 'Fiat' styles. The only rims on which I have noted absolute consistency of text and drilling are the 'Dino' wheels.

Overall a mind-scambling number of possible variations.

Kind Regards,
    Paul

6. pk246gt

pk246gt Karting

Apr 4, 2006
    Adelaide, Australia
    Full Name:
    Paul
    excellent thanks guys

7. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
  8. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    #8 HMB-Dino, Jan 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
    Concur with Iain...
    M-Series: Large Fiat and Cromodora script, large diameter valve stem hole...wheel dated 1970.

Also, I believe std valve stem hole is .453" whereas the larger is .625". I have a couple sets of .453" metal valve stems, which is how I learned to ask diameter before buying.

9. rosemeyer

rosemeyer Karting

Aug 13, 2010
    Ron,

The original valves all have the same diameter stems. Differences in the diameter of the valve hole are compensated for by using thicker wall/thinner wall rubber sealing rings between the stem and the rim.

Kind Regards,
    Paul

10. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

According to this Wikipedia entry - Fiat Dino - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - FIAT Dino production ended in 1973.

So, the Dino script is correct only on 1973 through 1974 Ferrari Dinos?

And, the FIAT script wheels are correct on the Ferrari Dinos through the end of 1972?

I've now got two sets of Dino wheels:

1. the first set that were on my 246gt (3656 - production date April 1972) are all marked with FIAT script with the February 1972 date; and

2. the second all with the same 1973 date code - I think January 1973.

I assume that my FIAT script wheels are correct for my 246gt.

So, what to do with my Dino script wheel set?

11. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #11 synchro, Jul 29, 2014
  12. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I remain unconvinced that there truly is a definitive answer, Compendium or otherwise.

13. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    I just checked the two I have easy access to, both with original wheels.

03930 has the smaller Fiat marking

07714 has the Dino marking

Shawn

14. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    08468 also has the Dino script

15. synchro