Keatley's: Terrible Ted | FerrariChat

Keatley's: Terrible Ted

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by freshmeat, Jan 4, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    #1 freshmeat, Jan 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
    Well, I'm still stunned.

What seemed like an easy, straightforward removal of vinyl stickers prior to full detail turned out into a nightmare.

I dropped off the car in the morning, requested if they could remove the stickers before doing the detail, Ted Ostroff assured me it would not be a problem but that it may take up to an hour or so just to remove it all, and that his hourly rate is $100.

I agreed.

An hour or so later, I get a foreboding call from Ted. He tries to explain to me that he somehow managed to quote, "create two spots" on the car because he wasn't aware that the entire car was clear bra'd. I told him only the front half was clear-bra'd and he said the two spots were on the front fenders.

I thought, "Oh, it's probably just a bubble or wrinkle in the clear bra from the heat gun."

My oh my, was I majorly wrong.

The two spots were actual holes in the clear bra. I arrive and saw the damage and was pretty disappointed. But what really stunned me was Ted's attitude and arm flailing that followed...

He was literally yelling at me and placing 100% of the blame on me for not disclosing that I had a clear bra on the car...I mean my God, is this your first ride in the rodeo? Can you not tell from handling dozens of high-end exotics what a clear bra is??? You're in the detailing business and you're blaming me for your screw up??? Why did you continue then when you realized there was a clear bra!!??!?

I was just stunned. His workers all thought it was his own incompetence but were too afraid to say anything in his presence. They whisper to me that it was a simple job, and they're not sure how this could have happened, we are so sorry.

HIS WORKERS WHO NEVER WORKED ON THE CAR APOLOGIZED, but Ted himself? Nada, no apology, no admission of wrong doing just a simple "F**k off and don't ever come back again."

I didn't even lose my temper or curse or yell during all this, and I get this sort of attitude? To think also that he is my neighbor at the Infinity...WOW, just WOW. After this he thinks I would even consider coming back? He must think I'm addicted to pain or something...

He even starts name dropping, I know so and so, who trained such and such. He can patch that up no problem BUUUUUT, here's the kicker, "Alwin you're going to have to pay for it."

WOW...

I was going to head out to Blackhawk tomorrow, but not even in the mood now or maybe I should and let the whole bay area see Ted's handiwork...there is even still glue residue from the removed decals that weren't cleaned up after-the-fact. My God...

Last time I was at Keatley's was with my MP4 and that was some time ago, and I thought they did a good job cleaning it up back then...my friends and neighbors all go there today and everything usually comes out fine.

Maybe its just the Ted's Midas touch lol. What a day, what a day.

I am still stunned...

iPhone pics of the damaged clear bra (one on each side of the car):
    http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5495/11768170134_fb656e8f39_h.jpg

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3719/11768169004_c9779fdb7f_h.jpg

2. LewSF

LewSF Formula Junior

May 20, 2013
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Lewis Blevins
    Gosh.......that's worse than I expected upon reading your account of the damage. I think you're looking at new clear bra for those panels....not just a repair job.

3. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    It's going to have to be, and it's a custom 1-piece application that goes from left to right fender so... $$$.

lucky me!

4. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    The detailer doesn't carry insurance for this?

From my seat he should step up and make it right.

Refusal to do so will cost him more in the long run...

5. Itzkirb

Itzkirb F1 Veteran

Apr 30, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Kirby
    Wow, that sucks! Next time go see Bob Willis.

6. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    He made no offer / attempt to make things right whatsoever.

Only name dropped and would put me in touch with so and so who trained so and so at Premier. Even that he said he was reluctant to do because quote, "I'm not going to put him through this circus act. He doesn't do petty jobs like this, but he's a friend so he will do me a solid."

WOW!

7. midengine

midengine Karting

May 7, 2007
    Wow! sorry to hear what happen to you. When the trust is gone everything is gone.

8. p1turbo

p1turbo Formula Junior

May 21, 2009
    san francisco
    +1 bob willis

his film guy johnson lin is awesome

9. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    I think I'm going to put big fat decals near the damage for a week or so until the clear bra gets redone w the note "Courtesy of Keatley's Detail on Harrison" and park it in union square for all to see.

My insurance will handle making him pay for redoing the clear bra, and a good-hearted lawyer friend has even volunteered his services for free if it comes to that.

Just because I remained calm and polite does not mean I'm going to let some **** get away with it.

10. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Sorry to hear. What an attitude! That's one place that my cars aren't getting detailed at!

11. Trincap

Trincap Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2010
    NorCal
    That Ted guy is kind of a notoriously bad guy. You don't want to bring your car there. Heck you don't want to bring your bike there.

12. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    Thanks a million for posting this. I was planning to take two cars (Bentley and RR) there this week. So glad I read this. Sorry to hear about your experience--I really do hope things get sorted out for you.

13. TimF40

TimF40 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Seattle/Bay Area/NYC
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Bob did an outstanding detail job on my F40 for the Forza buyers guide shoot last year. He knows the difference between paint and clear bra... ;-)

Tim

14. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Hi guys,

Ted has come around in recent days, and he has offered to pay for the damaged clear bra. As I have told him via email & phone, this has been an awful mishap for both of us but it is now water under the bridge.

I hope nothing like this has to happen to anyone ever again and I'm pretty sure Ted will be extra careful from now on.

Hey, and now I don't have to worry about awkward elevator run-ins =) Thanks to those fchat fellas who gave Ted a few motivational nudges too, not sure what you said to him, but if not for you guys, I highly doubt either of us would have spoken to each other ever again.

15. BluNart

BluNart Karting

Jul 2, 2013
    New England, USA
    Full Name:
    Blu
    Curious, what type of stickers were being removed? Depending on the type and underlying age of the material you might be thankful it's only clear bra material you have to replace. Tricky stuff without experience.

16. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    They were temporary vinyl decals. no special or industrial grade adhesive or anything, just temporary stickers, easily removed with or without a heat gun, with the latter being much easier.

17. djantlive

djantlive Formula 3

Jun 30, 2005
    glad things worked out!

18. tedodenver

tedodenver Rookie

Jan 6, 2014
    Alwin Mulyono, I don't mean to be tacky, but I reimbursed you in full immediately after this damage occurred. This was an honest mistake, and would have been avoided if you'd only taken the time to inform me that your car was clear wrapped at the start. I clearly informed you that I was going to use a heat gun to remove the stickers, and you signed off on that, again with no mention of clear wrap. You should also know that we have introduced many of the most charitable members to Tom and that FOG club. It should go without saying that this entire thread and the insults, as well as your picks on our Yelp site that insult me and my business should be removed immediately. Thanks Ted Ostroff

19. Finitele

Finitele Formula 3

Sep 26, 2007
    DBC
    Full Name:
    DIR
    Any competent installer charging $100 per hour to perform work would at least place his hand over the surface to determine what he was working with. At that point it should be easy to sense the clear bra.

Given that mistakes do happen, Ted's screaming at the customer is very poor form and speaks volumes

20. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    My decals easily pealed off of my clear bra with no issues whatsoever...his mistake was using a heat gun maybe?

21. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    I steered clear after I read the thread initially. And now, reading his latest crap, I am glad I stayed clear. What a guy. Blaming someone else for his incompetence.

If you can't see clear bra, or you don't know how to care for it, you should not be in the detailing business.

If you don't know how to be polite, and you think it's acceptable to ask customers to remove criticism of you after incredible rudeness and outright attempts at cheating, you should not be in business.

This fellow will never see any of my cars. Or my friends' cars. Or anyone I meet at gatherings. What a jerk. Wow.

22. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Annapolis and Daytona Beach
    Full Name:
    Al
    Ted will have to work extra hard now to rebuild trust.

A valuable lesson I learned long ago, the customer comes first and is always right, so do the right thing.

I hope Ted recovers from this "teachable moment" (Jeez, I really hate that phrase, sorry)

23. Finitele

Finitele Formula 3

Sep 26, 2007
    DBC
    Full Name:
    DIR
    Bob Willis never screams at their customers and they keep coming back

24. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
  25. ferrari_jjc

ferrari_jjc Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2004
    I now take all my cars to Immaculate Reflections run by Jeff. He is as meticulous as Bob, if not better and costs less. The best of both worlds.