Am I being realistic in what I plan to pay for a 360? | FerrariChat

Am I being realistic in what I plan to pay for a 360?

Discussion in '360/430' started by ferraristyle1, Jan 8, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferraristyle1

ferraristyle1 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2013
    Baltimore, MD
    I've been following the 360 market for about 6 months now and am looking into purchasing sometime this year, prob between June and August.

I'm looking for a red 360, haven't decided on a coupe or a spyder yet. Must be a 6 speed manual. Around 20K for mileage. Recent major complete with service history. A bonus would be challenge wheels, grill, and exhaust but I will add those eventually if it doesn't come with the car.

What I've seen is a big gap between "asking" and "getting" price.

I'm expecting to pay around 70K-75K for a coupe and 80k-85K for a spyder. Does this seem unreasonable?

2. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Not unreasonable, but I say that because every transaction is different, and sellers' motivations vary. You might get what you want for that price, but you also might need to pay more for a prime example. On the other hand, many 6 spd manual cars were not very well optioned (no shields, standard instead of Daytona seats, for example), so getting your price is not beyond reason. So, don't be afraid to make offers in your price range. Good luck!

3. THE RED MENACE

THE RED MENACE Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 24, 2005
    I wouldn't make this a major sticking point, if the right car comes along, color, 6 speed, wheels ext. and it doesn't have a recent major, just factor that in to your offer and get the major done by your service tech, so you know it's done to your satisfaction. Service records are very important though, make sure it comes with those. Best of luck, on the search!

4. cm2

cm2 Formula 3

Sep 26, 2012
    SF Bay
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Seems low for the good example and optioned manual cars...

5. derekmines

derekmines Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2013
    Melksham, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek
    Different country I know, so the value of this post is probably small, but I just bought a 6500 mile, 2001 spider, rosso/nero, 6sp manual car in Dubai for the eqiuvalent of 43.5k USD.
    I had to factor a major, belts, 4 tyres and a few other jobs that were needed, so on the road my total was $54.7k

I was quite happy with that.

6. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    You get what you pay for but if you're flexible and hunt around, it doesn't seem unreasonable.

Good luck with the hunt!

My advice is

1). it's better to buy a good one than a cheap one. Sometimes you do get lucky though.

2). Never let a good car get away from you for a few grand.

3). Never burn a bridge if you say "no". You may end up saying "yes" after shopping around a bit.

7. Treviso

Treviso Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2012
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Good advice from The Mayor! You buy cheap, you buy problems...Never burn a bridge...

8. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Not unreasonabe IMHO. May take some searching to find the "right" car. May take a couple grand more to make it happen.

If it doesn't have major done recently to your specs 3/5 years price it in. That way YOU know when its done and its not just some receipt that they hand you.

9. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I would say that you are close, maybe a little light but close. The real question is are you looking for a perfect cream puff or are you looking for a nice car. That won't get you a perfect car but it will get you a nice car.

10. PFSEX

PFSEX Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2006
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    John Ratto
    Asking prices seem to have taken a serious dip recently. Winter?

The iron is hot - even if the weather is not.

11. Aorta

Aorta Karting

Nov 17, 2013
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Jared
    I just recently (1wk ago) purchased a car that would fit your description, except no challenge wheels (wish it did though). 2000 Red/Tan Coupe, 6sp MT, Challenge grill, 20kmi, power seats, red piping on seats, 6 disc cd changer, capristo exhaust, all key fobs, cover tools etc...recent major as well. Paid $79k.

If you don't want a 6sp MT, you can probably find the same car for $10k less. I know because I passed on a 2 of them. The manuals in RED/TAN are MUCH harder to find. My local Scottsdale Ferrari dealer has a Red/Tan F-1 with 17k on it: asking $79k. I've seen similar cars go for a lot less...My point is, I think you are "in the ball park." (for a COUPE) BUT, finding a RED/TAN 6MT is tough...The ones I've seen are expensive...but if you keep looking the right car/right deal will find you. Good luck ;-)

Note, I've seen "other" color 6sp MT go for less...

12. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    The place I purchased mine from has a 2001 Spider 6 speed in Titanium and blue leather with silver contrast stitching, red calipers, challenge grille, electric Daytona seats, 18k for $87,500. Knowing how they sell on consignment the selling price would be more like $82,000 or thereabouts.
    Alan

Sport Auto =>2001_Ferrari 360 Spider Titanium N047K

13. bigsquat

bigsquat Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2013
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Troy

I just purchased a 2003 F1 coupe with 13k miles outfitted essentially the same way as the one in Scottsdale for $78k. I looked at a lot of cars in the last few months and prices are definitely soft right now. I was offered coupes with around 20k miles for $85-$90 and they are still sitting. BTW I was also being offered 2005 and 2006 F430 coupes with 20k miles for $100k-$105k, though none were red.

Prices may firm up in the spring but they are not going up, not with the price compression from the F430.

14. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    You are realistic. There are plenty of 360s in those price range. Finding right one is another story.

For 75k for coupe easy. 60k for good example harder ...

15. MVDESQ

MVDESQ Formula 3

Nov 25, 2010
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew & Kristen V.
    I once (Nov 2010 to April 2012) tried to find a very nice red/tan 6-speed 360 spider and they are not that easy to come by. The ones I did find were always priced high and had lots of activity on them from other purchasers. In fact they were so expensive (compared to 6 speed non-red/tan cars and red/tan f1 cars) for nice ones, I decided to buy (May 2012) a red/tan F1 430 spider instead as I could not justify the high prices. Good luck with your search.

16. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Your budget is fine....good luck to you.

17. mksu19

mksu19 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2008
    LAX / YVR / MNL
    Full Name:
    Capt. K. Banzon
    I've seen some early 360's go for as low as $59k! Granted some hold a salvage title but if you look around, you might see some in that price range that have clear title. I wouldn't trust Carfax too much as some cars were restored without the help of insurance companies. In the Bay Area, I have seen the Spyders as low as $65k with some servicing needed.

18. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I am in the same situation as you are. Most likely buying a 360 Spider sometime this year.

Based on my price research from eBay sales, private sellers and dealers - average selling price currently for a low mileage 2002 - 2004 Spider is between $80K to $100K.

So I think your figures are spot on.

Dan

19. spieler

spieler Formula Junior

Oct 13, 2012
    miami florida
    i just bought mine 1 week ago .
    2003 red/black spider MT
    electrical daytona seats, shields, capristo exhaust, hifi option with 6 cd, serviced with belts done, 4 brand new tires , red calipers,3m everywhere, original tool kits ( even get the maglight)
    8000 miles. 2 owners , looks like new inside/outside for slightly below 100k

i could find one for less but prefered to pay the right price in my opinion for a low
    mileage nice optioned vehicule.
    So your estimate for 20k miles is the right budget and you will find your baby

20. spikes360

spikes360 Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2013
    Niles, IL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Bought mine 08/13 2005 red/tan spider F1
    electric daytona seats, shields, tubi exhaust, 6 cd changer, needs service, starfish wheels, old tires, red calipers, original tool kit. Runs very good. Everything original - no mods except tubi. 28400 miles. Good PPI. Needed to be cleaned. 80k and 1.5k for sales tax - private party. Bought modular wheels seperately with good tires 2.4k.

21. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks for the great info.

Sales Tax / Used Car Tax here in Seattle / Washington State is 10%........

22. BSU

BSU Formula 3

Mar 30, 2008
    TX
    The high end of your range may work. Move fast though, prices heat up in the Spring.