1990 F40 @ RM Auction in AZ, Jan 2014 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

1990 F40 @ RM Auction in AZ, Jan 2014

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by schao, Dec 6, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Bro, I am now so sick from all this travel. I have been to three of the four corners of the country in the last 10 days and I'm run down and sick. I don't think I will be well enough to travel by cavallino time. We might need to reschedule.

2. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Come on. Last one! Get some vitamin b12 and orange juice and let's go!

3. ttn27

ttn27 Formula 3

Sep 30, 2010
    TX
    Full Name:
    TN
    Even Joe thought that this car will go for more than the hammered price a few weeks ago. Besides the cosmetic issues, is it just an off day for RM or is there something else more to this car?

4. SamBoler

SamBoler Karting

Jul 28, 2005
    LA
    $935,000 + 10% auction fee = 7 figures

Correct me if I am wrong

5. ttn27

ttn27 Formula 3

Sep 30, 2010
    TX
    Full Name:
    TN
    I thought the hammered price was $850k

6. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Why in the world would you think it was an off day for RM. I was there as a registered bidder and there were many big guns in the room. They were getting great numbers. $2.275m hammer on a lusso? $180k hammer on a 911 targa? $8m hammer on a LWB cal spyder?

Again, I think that was above market on the F40. I think RM overacheived on this particular car. I'm not sure why it's so hard for you to believe.

Lastly, I think that all of the Ferrari Supercars will correct downward at some point in the next 2 years. Some of these prices are crazy.

7. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Nobody knows what will happen with values: downwards, the same, or upwards, its impossible to say.

8. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Let me clarify: I think that there will be a correction downwards but it won't be for that long. And when they swing upwards again, that won't be for all that long. That's just how it goes. No one knows the whats, whens or wheres. It's only hunches.

What's not up for debate is how amazing, beautiful, and thrilling the F40 is. I can't blame anyone for paying whatever they pay for an F40. They are just such good cars with a very finite amount available.

9. SamBoler

SamBoler Karting

Jul 28, 2005
    LA
    Some say the F40 is the best Ferrari ever made

10. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    ok, I cant resist...I know why it didn't sell for 1.3....

its a 1990! duh...they were still learning how to make them...by 1992 they were bored and had to flush them out...so the 91s are worth the most...

:)

11. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Supposedly the car is far from the best example and has some serious needs.

So it sold for 935k inc buyers premium. Not too shabby for a car that needs 200k or so...

Seems to me this supports your 1.2 - 1.3 number.

As to values- who knows where they will go.

I do know this: they are not making anymore F40s.

12. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i think the next relevant factor in price will be the laf secondary market...if it flies, the other supercars will go along for the ride...

13. RSD

RSD Karting
    BANNED

Nov 6, 2013
    A Corvette went for 3 mil plus the other day. Hardtop, (non-split window). Apparently it was one of those "special edition only 4 made " etc... etc... Which actually means, it's just a trim package experiment.

That is a bubble.

The F40 is going to be un-buyable in the near future. We may see the up and down of it in this cycle, (I doubt it) but the car will be a multiple 8 figure car. Look at the velocity of it's recent increase in value. It doesn't matter which one you have, whether it was owned by a madman who used it a 4x4 over rough roads in europe without so much as changing its oil ever or the sub 5K mile original car in a climate controlled castle, they are all blue chip grade investment infact the car is by far the best blue chip investment in the world right now without being on the inside. No question.

14. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    LaF are already going for more than 2x.

15. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    That's debatable.

Perhaps I can be forgiven for suggesting that you sound very much like an F40 owner, and if so, that's understandable.

Since we are in the Supercar section, and since the "i" word (investment) is being used, I daresay I would suggest that the 288 GTO is a better proposition. Many times rarer, a genuine Enzo-era car, staggeringly beautiful, and a car that will always be The First of Ferrari's iconic Supercar Series.

IMVHO, of course.

16. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    All 1300 of them? How much will a Snickers bar be at that time?

Though maybe the 1.4M LaFerrari will deem this recent increase an inflation-adjustment?

17. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    Crazier still, they made 20!!

18. RSD

RSD Karting
    BANNED

Nov 6, 2013
    My friend, I laughed when I read that.

19. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    LaF going for 2x is in line with the enzo....if LaF goes to 3 and 4x f40s will rise.

joe, we've traded emails on this before, but the 288gto to me has less intrinsic value if you will than the f40...the f40 commands a premium when you factor in production numbers....ie what wld a 288gto be worth if they had made 1200 of those....or if there were 1200 f50s or enzos....to me the f40 is the icon and the prices paid as a function of production says alot...

20. RSD

RSD Karting
    BANNED

Nov 6, 2013
    You are certainly in the best position among us to know what and where is being traded and for how much at this time most definitely. My observations are my opinions but I would consider my opinion an educated one. I am not an owner of the F40. If one could be found in the $350K range however, I would be.

21. RSD

RSD Karting
    BANNED

Nov 6, 2013
    Good point, and one of the many Iceberg above the water observations one could make for the fully realized value of this 4 wheeled Picasso. It's the below the water factors that make this machine such a bargain at this time.

22. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Probably the same as an F40. As it is, they are worth almost twice what an F40 brings (for comparably-conditioned cars).

23. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i wld have thought there wld be a bigger multiplier...how many more f40s are there than 288gtos?

24. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    In the USA there are about 200 F40s, 30 GTOs.

25. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    so in the US there is about 60M of 288gto market cap and 200M of f40 market cap...interesting...