F40 bodied F355 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

F40 bodied F355

Discussion in 'Special Projects & Concept Cars' started by PAUL500, Dec 3, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dom9

Dom9 Rookie

Jun 6, 2010
    Oxshott, UK
    Full Name:
    Dom
    I never got to see much of the Enzo Design car but that is interesting/ good information! I did speak to them though and I think (this is many years ago now) they said they had built 3 cars and two were owned by owners of F40s. It was certainly 'the best' replica I had seen but I'd never seen it in person and only had Fieros and alike to compare!

They seemed to disappear quite quickly when people started asking about how they were road registered as Ferraris! I can imagine a letter from an Italian lawyer would have killed their whole business pretty quickly as their bread and butter seemed to be F355 reps!

I think the route you are going is the best way and this is probably about to become my favourite thread on the internet! If it is not already!

I am an engineer at heart (well, by training and profession too) so all build threads, especially ones as complex as this, are like crack to me. The fact that the F40 is my favourite car of all time just adds icing to the cake!

Will be following this with real interest!

In terms of value, are you willing to divulge what you expect the total project to cost, or perhaps what you might insure it for? Seems like a very difficult thing to value! Might also be nice to get a thread in Readers Cars on PH?!

Also, in terms of registration, with such big changes, including body and possibly engine, would this not require an IVA? I'm not calling you out or anything - I am just intrigued as this is some serious inspiration to me!

I thought two major components needed to remain unmodified, to keep the same registration (basically), so any two of: Original chassis, original engine, original body.

I am in total agreement with this and think you are going the right route! I'd actually be happier sitting in an original Ferrari chassis than in a tube frame put together with my dodgy welding skills! Just wondered whether some of those links might give you some inspiration for the rear frame or bodywork :).

If your car is all Ferrari (ok, some body parts may be 3rd party but most cars in the world will have the odd pattern panel at some point in their life) then it's a Ferrari to me! Look at the guys who were converting road cars to race cars and vice versa and developing them 50 years ago! They are still Ferraris and still worth a fortune today! Even the Replica 250s with original Ferrari parts are not cheap!

I have always harboured dirty thoughts of an F40 body on top of something modern, like the F458 but now you have me looking at that wrecked F360CS on US eBay and wondering... Sadly, it wouldn't be as d'imensionally helpful' as the 308 through 355! That modern Stratos didn't help my thought process!

Either way, a F360CS or F458 will be in my stable in the next year or so but I'll always be secretly a little jealous of you!

2. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    #52 PAUL500, Jan 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
    I did initially look to purchase a 308/328 and stretch the chassis from the doors back to get the wheelbase correct, pretty much what Ferrari did with the 288/F40 anyway

Problem with that route is its 70s technology, luckily the 348/355s have the wheels in exactly the same place so it seemed the better option.

My 355 is not UK registered so no IVA required. Once its done I may then get it UK legal after the event. Technically its just an outer skin rebody, the main stuctural chassis is all still in place, if you look at the F355 tech drawing on the first page and compare so IVA is not applicable.

All I can do it talk about it for at least another 6 months still my divorce is sorted.

So long as fchat are happy to host this thread here, then I dont plan on posting elsewhere on the net about the project. I think it sits in this section fine, I really like pistonheads but there are way to many self appointed internet "experts" on there and any thread would just descend.

3. Dom9

Dom9 Rookie

Jun 6, 2010
    Oxshott, UK
    Full Name:
    Dom
    I think you have done the right thing with the F355 chassis as stretching a 308/328 would probably change the suspension kinematics somewhat. Not an insurmountable problem but I'd prefer the more modern equipment as well.

Interesting that your car isn't UK registered, ok, so let's park that topic for now and let you get on and finish the thing! I think registration/ modification/ IVA changed (again) quite recently though, giving the 2 out of 3 criteria, so maybe just bear that in mind when you look for an engine i.e. staying F355 may be for the best! However, if you just put the old plate back on and take it for an MOT - who cares?!

On a side note - I am very sorry to hear about your divorce and I hope that is settled with the minimum fuss/ pain etc. Hopefully this project is the very least you have to look forward to once it is all sorted.

You are on my main toolbar, so I can find this easy enough - PH is just my forum of choice and I know you are on there as I recognised the chassis picture, so just wondered if you would cross-post but that's just me being lazy/ selfish! Totally understand what you mean about the 'experts' but I thought you may also have some backlash on here ;)

I am very much in the camp of 'you are saving a Ferrari', regardless of whether it looks like a different model at the end! If you were to ever sell it (I am guessing this would be a keeper) I doubt you would struggle to find a buyer. As per my understanding of what the Enzo Design cars were to be used for, this would be a nice car to rack the miles up on, if you had a low mileage F40 at home. Although I am in the Glickenhaus school of thought with not using your cars, I understand why they have become investment pieces for some!

4. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    Thanks for the interest Dom. If this thread was in the main section on here I would also expect some backlash, but down in the bowels of fchat where we are located it seems only the die hards venture this way, and those guys appear to be far more open minded about things in general :)

5. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    Yes, the 308/328 chassis may be more technically accurate as a starting point for a F40 build, but then there is far more work involved and parts needed to convert it to longitudinal driveline, correct wheelbase, etc.
    The Carpenter cars were 308/328 based, many still OEM wheelbase though, yet with 288 bodywork conversions, some with engine upgrades, but still transverse drivetrain, and also none that I have ever seen were completed with a proper level of interior trim work, but rather sparse race rough ready condition.
    A V12 is interesting, but if you're on any kind of budget, even a generous one, then it's very likely to suck all that money up just to acquire & get running properly.
    Instead IMO the 348/355 engine + manual trans is the way to go, as there have been other twin turbo conversions of that drivetrain already done, so you are not re-inventing the wheel.
    The real key to success with these sorts of projects, is to not let any particular aspect go far-a-field, and carry off your time and money in developing or R&D.
    That's why 90% of these projects get abandoned, because they get bogged down in overwhelmingly involved construction aspect(s), or overboard in parts purchases (or custom work, i.e. billet, carbon-fiber, etc.) that sucks up the entire build budget.
    Looking forward to seeing more updates, and the bodywork arrive & mock-up!

6. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    Agree that the straightforward route would be to stay with a 355 engine, initially stock then develop afterwards.

We have an empty 355 gearbox for mock up and would use one regardless of chosen engine, problem is good 355 engines though are not far off the cost of the virtually new v12 ferrari engines cropping up on ebay from late cars. Ditching the complicated management systems and replacing them with aftermarket ecu products would ease the problems of using such engines and there are plenty of suitable companies in the Uk who can do this for us.

It will all fall down to what is available out in the market when the engine fund gets freed up probably.

7. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    #57 JeremyJon, Jan 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2014

Fair to say, no "Ferrari" engine/drivetrain is going to be cheap LOL

Being the Tipo V8 series of engines, from 308 to 360, perhaps finding a QV3.0 or QV3.2 engine is more possible, and better budget, also should bolt up to the 355 manual transmission directly?
    With a little work, the QV heads can flow quite well, even though it is not as much of a concern when talking boosted application, so you might not see a big advantage with using the 355 engine, for a twin turbo set-up
    Instead perhaps better to focus engine build more on being robust, micro-polished crank, stronger rods & forged pistons (lower CR if needed) good head sealing (cometic MLS + O-rings?), and only mild head work to clean up ports, new guides/seats, SS valves, etc.

Apparently the FAST ECU system works well for the F-car engines, as it works with the OEM sensors used, and has provisions for Boost mapping, though they are a bit more $ than other systems, could be well worth it in the ease of integration & set-up to get running?

8. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    You may be able to get a v12 for not much more than an 8, but it will cost you in time and money double to get it to fit when an 8 will drop right in (and be more correct for an f40). However, don't let that stop you :). There are a couple of flat 12 355 conversions, so at least that wouldn't be reinventing the wheel if you got ahold of a nice 512m engine/transaxle.

9. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    #59 PAUL500, Jan 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
    What I have in mind is quite a modern end product that looks like a classic, so I don't want to go retro on any of the main components. The oldest engineering will be the actual chassis/suspension and gearbox (as I want a manual so will stay with the 355 transmission as it allows the drivetrain to all then line up correctly regardless of powerplant).

The crownwheel and pinion are very robust on the 355 box and I like the transverse layout as its very compact.

I want a car I can jump in and use everyday, not be afraid to drive it in traffic, or take on a track day without fear of devaluing the car etc. If it gets accident damaged then simply fix it again. It needs to be lightweight and devoid of non essential heavy components, but still retain driver aids such as PAS, ABS, A/C.

I can see me heading in one of two routes.

a...V8 stock with scope for future upgrade via turbocharging, the 355 engine is somewhat fragile, I like the idea of 5 valve heads so a 360 engine is more plentiful, cheaper and more robust. Then further up the cost scale you have the option of 430 or 458. This is in keeping with the ethos of the f40, especially if turbocharged, but that adds significant complications itself, and as the car is not an F40 in reality the scope increase somewhat as a result.

b...v12 is what some say is a proper ferrari, using one from a 599 etc involves more engineering, but only with regards removing/re fabricating the subframe between the engine and fuel tanks to allow the extra cylinders to protrude forward. The cabin bulkhead would be unaffected as the long fuel tank can easily be split so it sits as a two tank system either side of the engine which will then provide the required space, there is plenty of room there.

This route puts the car between and F40 and an F50 engineering wise which I quite like the idea of. It may though cause problems with the 355 gearbox with torque coming in much lower down the rev range than a turbo v8.

Simpson motorsport ran a v12 F40 in the UK for a few years as a race car, using the engine from a 575 but have since reverted back to the original powerplant I hear.

All just daydreaming though at the moment and as many have said projects like this either go on for years or never get finished. So far all mine, bar one have been completed though so the odds are good.

10. Champboat/Champcar

Champboat/Champcar Formula Junior

Jan 29, 2007
    Freeport NY
    Full Name:
    Eric T
    Great project ! i have a question for you , do you know of anybody fabricating the F40 rear window, the louvered plexi or Lexan? i am working on a R8 project and i want one to adapt to my engine hatch. Thanks and great ideas !!

11. Dom9

Dom9 Rookie

Jun 6, 2010
    Oxshott, UK
    Full Name:
    Dom
    Nothing much to add other than to say I love the idea of the F599 V12 and it is something I had in mind, once upon a time, having seen the Simpson car and been having daydreams along the lines of your project.

It's still Ferrari and since teh car isn't an 'original' F40, why not update the driveline and have an F40 with an almost F50/Enzo-esque tribute behind the driver?

Loving it! Good luck with everything!

Where are you based, by the way? Would love to see this during build, if at all possible?

12. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    In time I plan to take a mould of my original one, but thats some way away sorry.

there was one on UK ebay recently that crops up every now and again.

13. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    It looks as if the 599 engine on ebay finally sold and I doubt another will become available now for a while, but you never know, still there are always other options.

I am in South Wales, once its all rehomed and ready to go you would be more than welcome to take a look.

14. Dom9

Dom9 Rookie

Jun 6, 2010
    Oxshott, UK
    Full Name:
    Dom
    Good man - Would love to come and take a look.

Should have moved back to the UK (from the US) by summer, so hopefully the timing will work.

I've just bought a fully restored Clio Williams (in storage in the UK) and that deserves a trip to Wales!

There must be a few Ferrari V12s in various high end breakers round the world, huh?

15. Carbuilder

Carbuilder Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2012
    Bolton, ON
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Ask Norm. Pretty sure he used to have them even though he doesn't advertise it.

Norm's Fiberglass

16. normv

normv F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2005
    Mishawaka In
    Full Name:
    Norm
    #66 normv, Jan 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  17. BigHead

BigHead Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Outside of Boston
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Man, what a dream project. Kudos to you, and please keep us informed! Where are you located?

18. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    Cheers, I am In South Wales in the UK

19. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    Just saw this-honestly I cringed when I read the title but you are doing this up right. Keep the pics rolling in!

20. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    Lol, I agree entirely, it sounds like a recipe for disaster based on the intro title! but thats what the car is really best described as I think

I am sure a few on here would have a more cutting description.

21. matumorales

matumorales Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2011
    Asunción, Paraguay
    Full Name:
    Daniel Morales
  22. BullsFTW

BullsFTW Karting

Feb 26, 2011
    Love it.

Sent from my Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

23. BlueBiturbo