car design thread | Page 31 | FerrariChat

car design thread

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by jm2, Oct 19, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    And that panel that gets stowed . . . it's a piece of fabric over a titanium frame . . . how can it not make more sense to remove it manually?

2. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    they do it...........because they can :)
    no one said it had to make any sense

3. Qvb

Qvb F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca.
    Full Name:
    John Dixon
    The original Japan market Honda Del Sol had a somewhat similar mechanism. The trunk lid would rise straight up to above the height or the roof, the rear of the roof panel would rise up and then two screw drives would come out of the front of the trunk lid, screw into the back of the roof panel and then, using the screw drive, suck the roof panel into the trunk lid. Amazing to watch but somewhat ridiculous.

4. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    The Targa put a smile on my face. A nicely renewed, immediately recognizable and strongly iconic image. I give that team a very well done job on that one. :)

5. V-TWELVE

V-TWELVE Formula 3

Jan 1, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    Would be cool if the rear window was removable on the Targa, that or if it lowered.

6. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Nice!

-F

7. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    Ruf's allows the owner to remove the rear glass as well.

8. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  9. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  10. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #760 Napolis, Jan 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    BANNED Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Instead of short vs. long it should be thought of as "Ramp Angle". It is the angle from the tire to ground point to the lowest and/or furthest protrusion of the body that creates the smallest angle degree.

Doesn't the La Ferrari have a suspension lifter?

12. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Anyone's lips wagging yet on the J. Mays deal?

13. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    surprisingly quiet :)

14. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    #764 JeremyJon, Jan 21, 2014
  15. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    It does but it doesn't work at speeds above 15 mph so bumpy roads can still be an issue. In the Enzo I drove on the same roads I drive Ferrari P 4/5 by Pininfarina the bottom of the tip of the nose hit way too often for me.

16. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    still used by the VP Design GM,and it still looks like that
    indeed,I've been in there many times......sometimes good....sometimes,not so much :(

17. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    did they charge you admission? LOL ;)

18. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    yes,a career was the admission

19. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    I meant in the article he mentions they charge admission to people to visit

20. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    I never heard that, but nothing surprises me much anymore :)

21. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Who's Where: Christopher Svensson appointed Ford’s new director of design, the Americas
    by Rufus Thompson 23 Jan 2014

Sunderland-born Svensso's Ford career began in 1992. Click for larger images

The 1997 Mercury MC2 concept car, credited to Svensson, previewed the design of the 1999 Mercury Cougar

Thunderbird FAB1
    Christopher Svensson is Ford's new director of design, The Americas, following the promotion of Moray Callum to vice president design to whom he will report.

In his new role he carries responsibility for the exterior and interior design of all new Ford products in North and South America.

The man he replaces, Moray Callum, has succeeded J Mays

His CV boasts the 2003 Ford Visos concept's design
    Speaking exclusively to Car Design News, Svensson explains, "We have great momentum currently... What I'll be doing is building on that momentum rather than wholesale changes."

Svensson moved to Dearborn in January 2013, when he was appointed exterior design director, The Americas.

Prior to this he was appointed design director, Ford Asia Pacific and Africa (APA), where he managed the Asia Pacific Design Center in Melbourne, Australia, and it is this wealth of global experience he believes will serve him well.

"I've worked in all regions and on myriad of products, from B-cars to sports cars to commercial vehicles such as the Transit, and so I think I can instill a broader global perspective on how we move forwards. Customers in different markets have different expectations and desires, and I hope I have that level of experience I can impart to team."

He believes a team is critical to ensuring great products and is sure the core of the team will give Ford the advantage.

"In every region I've worked, I've looked at and evaluated teams and put key people in key positions. One of my main strengths is getting the best out of people," he explains.

Svensson's Ford career began in 1992 at Ford's German design studio and has gone on to hold senior roles in the United Kingdom, Europe, North America and Australia.

He's credited with the designs for concept vehicles such as the Ford Visos, Mercury MC2 and the Ford P2000 Holographic project, while he also has worked on the Ford Ka, Puma, Cougar, Fiesta, Focus, C-Max, Mondeo, Falcon, Taurus and Mustang.

In the 2004 film Thunderbirds he was chief designer responsible for the development of the Pink FAB1.

Svensson graduated from Coventry University's Vehicle Design course in 1990 and followed it up two years later with an MA from the Royal College of Art in London.

Related Articles:
    Who's Where: Christopher Svensson and Joel Piaskowski swap roles at Ford
    Who's Where: Ford's J Mays retires, Moray Callum succeeds

© 2014 Car Design News Ltd

22. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    There must be a whole bunch of talented people inside Dearborn that feel they got passed over for a continuation of the J. Mays credo that American design is to be disdained.

Even the pictured cars in the article, excepting the Cougar, seemed to be saying that the notable accomplishments are thin.

23. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  24. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    #774 jm2, Feb 2, 2014
    picked this up recently
    very cool book on the showcars of the '70's.Probably before many of you were born :)
    great photos of the significant cars from a seminal era of automotive design
    strange that the Countach is missing,but otherwise very cool stuff particularly if you are a student of car design from the Italian coachmakers/design houses of that era
    the review from Car Design News sums it up:
    It can be argued that there were two 'Golden Ages' of concept cars. In America, the 1950s were the dream cars' heyday, as manufacturers spared no expense to project their products into the future, vying to best capture the zeitgeist of the emerging space age. GM's Motorama shows of the '50s and early '60s epitomized the era, with needle-*nosed, tail-*finned rocket ship wannabes proudly displayed on rotating gantries that promised imminent lift-*off to the starstruck crowds.

In Europe, the Golden Age centers around 1970 – more specifically the decade from 1967-*1977, when Italian carrozeria burst into the international motoring and popular consciousness with a series of daring concept cars that proved as radical, if not more so, than their American counterparts a decade earlier.

It was an emerging school of design that had left the swoopy curve of early Ferraris and Jaguars behind and sought a new expression in angular shapes, bold straight lines and experimental packaging concepts. And in this way, the Italians completed what the Americans had striven for a decade earlier.

But while the American cars were mostly styling enhancements grafted onto traditional Detroit iron, the Italians enfolded all the space-*age, jet-set zeitgeist into one integrated wedge*‐shaped package, eschewing all the tailfin and chrome nonsense, along with the pseudo‐aviation instrumentation and graphics.

It's this school of design that's celebrated in the book 70s Concept Cars. The book is a large format (11x13.5 inches) reproduction of a series of photoshoots by eminent photographer Rainer Schlegelmilch, whose work documenting the era's Formula1 racing is without equal.

The book is more of a fashion shoot (complete with beautiful models) than a documentary of these vehicles or the era. But in Schlegelmilch's capable hands, each design's style and power is enhanced and celebrated. All the big stars of Italian manufacturing and coachbuilding are featured, from Pininfarina, Bertone and Italdesign to Ferrari, Fiat, Lamborghini and Lancia, complete with radical classics from such luminaries as Giorgetto Giugiaro and Marcello Gandini.

Although the book doesn't pretend to be exhaustive in scope – the Lamborghini Countach, which defined the era for many, is notably absent, as is the Lamborghini Miura – it does portray an elegant summary of the spirit and passion of that age. Radical concepts such as the Lamborghini Marzal with its vast greenhouse and glass doors, the shocking wedge of the Lancia Stratos, the equally wedgy Lancia Sibilo, and the magnificent Ferrari Modulo – perhaps the most radical car ever built in terms of packaging and styling – inspire us even today, a generation removed from those adventurous times.

The book is full of beautiful, large format photographs – scanned and enhanced from the original slides – of the cars and the models, worth the price of the book alone. Each car is introduced with an instructive paragraph, and there are a couple of introductions by colleagues of Mr. Schegelmilch – including one of the
    models – all of which make for interesting reading. 70s Concept Cars reminds us of just how radical and successful this design movement was.

The designs pictured on the pages still influence us today – or at least they should. If you are looking to complete your automotive design or history library with a beautiful book that will inspire for years to come, this is it. Perhaps we should send a copy to all the automotive CEOs so they'll be inspired to bring us a new Golden Era of concept cars.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. Qvb

Qvb F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca.
    Full Name:
    John Dixon
    Yeah, I'm gonna need this book.
    Thanks.