430 engine bay temps and burnt wiring | FerrariChat

430 engine bay temps and burnt wiring

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Ferrari 360 CS, Jan 18, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Friend of mine has a 430 coupe and he keeps having an issue with extremely high engine bay temperatures, in one case the wiring was even burnt such was the heat generated in the engine bay. Cruising around slowly at around 65mph on the freeway there is no issue but when you start to drive the car hard the manifolds glow bright red/orange and the bay temperature becomes extreme. The car does not overheat.

The exhaust manifolds were replaced with new OEM items as it was believed that there may have been a crack in one which was causing the high engine bay temps. This has had no effect and the problem persists.

Is there any definitive solution to this, different manifolds perhaps because the 430 he had before this never suffered this problem and his driving pattern remains the same.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

2. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Pisses in your Cheerios

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    Coat the manifolds etc.

3. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

I don't know the 430 model at all, so take this with a grain of salt.

If his ECU's are not throwing codes, then the engine is evidently running OK and the mixtures are right, so perhaps it's something downstream?

Perhaps there's a restriction in both exhausts after the manifolds? Such as plugged cats, or vacuum operated valves on the mufflers that aren't opening at WOT, etc.?

4. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    It sounds as though the engine is dumping excessive un-burnt fuel to the cats. Generally this would lead to a misfire code and/or slow down light but of course the management system could be malfunctioning.

Perhaps some testing with equipment external to the vehicles own emissions system is called for.

5. GTS Bruce

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    Yes of course make sure everything is working correctly first. Then coat the manifolds. Jet hot or other ceramic can reduce reflective heat by up to 40% and can tolerate 2000 deg F temps. I have used it on other cars on aftermarket headers and it makes a great deal of difference.

6. Ferrari 360 CS

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    ECU's aren't throwing codes and the car runs perfectly when driven like Miss Daisy but start driving it like a Ferrari and the manifolds glow bright red. Your suggestion about cats and the vacuum operated valves is a good one, will have those checked.

Thanks!

7. Ferrari 360 CS

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Good suggestions, my first thought was the engine was over fuelling but ECU isn't throwing any codes but as you say the system itself may not be functioning correctly.

Will keep the forum updated on this when a solution is found.

8. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Not normal at all. Codes or not, the issue should be addressed by a knowledgable shop not by internet holiday inn express diagnosis

9. Ferrari 360 CS

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Point taken, just interested to see if anyone else has had issues like this.

10. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

The car should not be modified.

It should be fixed.

11. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    +1. Take this advice.

They should not be glowing. Something is not working properly.

12. zackspeed

zackspeed Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Zack
    Switch battery off for 1 minute then back on. Turn ignition key to on for 2 minutes engine off. Start engine, and let it idle for 10 minutes, all accessories off. Do not touch the throttle. If problem persists then take to dealer for diagnosis.

13. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    And erase all the data that is useful for a diagnosis?

Bad idea.

Let someone with a clue diagnose and fix it before it self destructs any further.

14. Joegnsx

Joegnsx Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 1, 2012
    Valrico, FL & Franklin, NC
    Full Name:
    Joe Gliksman
    Maybe there is no problem. There are several posts (google it), suggesting this is normal for a 430 driven hard.

15. Ferrari 360 CS

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    I probably should have added that the car has been to the dealer and no apparent faults were found.

16. zackspeed

zackspeed Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Zack
    My experience has been that as quickly as these cars drain batteries that the vast majority of them are running around with adaptive values that have not been learned by the ecus. Whenever the battery goes low enough or gets switched off or replaced or whatever, it is essential that the 10 minute idle learn is performed. This allows the ecu to determine altitude, fuel quality, and throttle settings, etc. they are supposed to eventually learn but I've found that they usually don't as little as these cars are driven. This is true for ALL Ferraris with electrically actuated throttles.

Glowing headers is definitely a serious problem that needs to be addressed and if the dealer hasn't found any relevant trouble codes then it may be that the self learn just needs to be done. It's something easy that the owner can try on his own. If the problem persists then take it to the dealer immediately for a closer look at the fuel pumps, possible vacuum leaks, cracked headers etc.

17. 355Aussie

355Aussie Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    George
    Glowing headers is not wrong where the sensor ports are.

My headers where the sensor goes into always glow when I go for a drive.

We changed headers under warranty and still the same glowing issue.

We checked the car completely over.

This was over 3 years ago and I have kept driving with no issues.

My friends 430 does the same thing.

SO it is not an issue but if you are getting CEL then there is a problem.

18. GTS Bruce

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    Like I said. If there is nothing wrong and if you don't like the heat transfer next time they are off get them Jethot coated. GTS Bruce

19. zackspeed

zackspeed Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Zack
    Like I said. Vast majority...

20. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    It doesn't sound to me like the same issue......

21. redlightrich

redlightrich Karting

Jul 28, 2009
    north New Jersey USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I would not ignore, or mask with ceramic, a car running so hot that engine compartment wires melt and headers glow like a blast furnace.

Find the root cause.

Sorry, I don't agree with disconnecting the battery to clear the memory and let it relearn. Too much at stake here.

Then again, it isn't my motor, or car.

Good luck

Rich