DIY Sticky Interior Repair using Degreaser and Elbow Grease | Page 3 | FerrariChat

DIY Sticky Interior Repair using Degreaser and Elbow Grease

Discussion in '360/430' started by Trent, Dec 7, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    1. I have a 430, I have never tried this on a 360. Might be a difference in the rubbery material. I don't know.

2. I tried several degreasers, I use so much of the stuff I keep several brands around. Maybe a different one will work netter with your coating.

3. What was the issue?Was it still sticky or tacky, or was the finish damaged. Some pics might help here.

4. Some have recommended using oven cleaner or the like on the hard areas. I have NOT tried this, but something to consider.

5. I used time; i.e. let my parts soak and not rushed it. Degreasing can be tricky for a thick layer. Dip. soak, wait, scrub a bot, soak, wait, scrub some more. But 2 hrs for one piece seems excessive.

6. You can polish plastic. i.e. lets say you fully degrease and remove all sticky, but the finish is not great. Scratched, wrong color, etc. You can polish like car paint or re-paint as mentioned in thread. Plastic X is a type of polish, but I think it also "melts" or removes a layer of plastic chemically, where a true polis uses the orbital or rotational motion and fine abrasives. This can be seen in the second page of my DIY where I do the steering surround and button panel.

2. teethguru

teethguru Rookie

Jan 17, 2011
    Perth
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Really got me going after reading this. I am gonna unsticky my 360. Trent, or anyone here, is there any photos or write up on removing the air con vents? I did do a search and i was brought back to this post. Thanks

3. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    #53 Trent, Jan 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This thread has some basic text instructions.

"-b. The air vents can be removed by carefully inserting a flat head screwdriver under them in the center and pulling them evenly straight back. Some tabs will break, just use a bit of hot glue to reattach them. Some don't break off, but still have lost their foundation, I hot glued them as well. See pics."

I will add that the outer two vents near the windows can be pushed out if you remove the little vent to the top which will likely need to be de-stickeyed anyway and reach down and push it out. Have not tried this.

I pulled her out for good lighting and snapped some pics for you. I don't remove my vents for just anyone, makes me sound like a whore.

1. Use small flat head screwdriver inserted at bottom center of vent. Push in in an upward motion.

2. Then pull toward rear of vehicle. I used my opposing thumbs to support the top of the vent as it started to move to strain relief the other clips a little.

3. Success.

4. To reinstall, just gently press in with even pressure around the outside edge.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. teethguru

teethguru Rookie

Jan 17, 2011
    Perth
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Many Thanks, Trent !! My weekend project.

5. FN117

FN117 Rookie

Mar 6, 2013
    Hong Kong
    #55 FN117, Feb 1, 2014
    The vent covers with soft touch paint under the wind shield turn sticky much earlier than other parts due to the direct sun shine. Cannot take out the vent covers for cleaning without detaching the entire dash board. It becomes a long term headache as dirt and insects stuck on it.

When I clean the leather dash board today, accidentally wiped over the sticky vent covers with a cloth soaked with Meguiar's Gold Class Rich Leather Cleaner and Conditioner. The sticky paint stained the cloth. Tried to wipe a few more times, the paint is completely wiped off and exposed the base black plastic.

It takes only 10 minutes to clean each side. Fast and effective on the parts that cannot be taken out. The leather cleaner does not harm the leather.

In my 2005 F430, the plastic cover around the ignition key hole is severely scratched. But the paint is not sticky. Tried the same method but cannot clean the paint.

So when the soft touch paint becomes sticky, it can be wiped clean easily with leather cleaner. If it is still hard and not sticky, leave it alone.

6. TALON30

TALON30 Karting

Jan 8, 2010
    Purple Power works great. can get at lowes or home depot. I put a little on a paper towel and the sticky comes right off in about 2 sec.

7. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #57 MaranelloDave, Feb 1, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
    I'm trying to understand why Ferrari and other exotic manufacturers use this rubber material when it is known to get sticky. There must be some reason they choose to use it, although given that it breaks down I can't see what that reason may be.

8. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Thanks for the note on how you got those dash vents. Mine are pretty ugly. I really need to try something. Didn't think to try leather cleaner.

9. yronZFF

yronZFF Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2009
    FIVE-O
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I have black with red stitching on my 430 like you also. Since the red stitching is very close to the vents, did you have to protect the red stitching from getting stained from the black sticky paint when wiping off?

Thanks in advance for the great tip!

10. Dave430

Dave430 Karting

Jan 14, 2014
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I used Super Clean which is a degreaser in a purple bottle available from Auto Zone. I've found this works fantastically with the door handles, AC panel and mirror switches on the F430.

11. FN117

FN117 Rookie

Mar 6, 2013
    Hong Kong
    No. As long as I use an clean area on the rag for each wipe. Also wipe the surrounding leather and the red stitching to remove any black paint smash on them.

12. FN117

FN117 Rookie

Mar 6, 2013
    Hong Kong
    #62 FN117, Feb 3, 2014

The photo shows the good result.

But not sure if it would affect other lighter color of leather.

13. andy308

andy308 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Andy
    #63 andy308, Feb 3, 2014
    Ok, I did some more work on the sticky parts on my 360 this weekend. I also found something interesting. The black tar/goo is on the door handles/locks, glove box latch, vents, ASR/sport/defroster switch plate as we all know. But I found other items with a coating also but not the black crap, it was more of a clear coating that was just as sticky. The items with this clear coating was the window switch surround (before and after pics attached), the AC controls, the parking lights and hazard switch as well as that surround as well. Even though it was not the black crud it still also responded well to cleaning. I used a small amount of oven cleaner sprayed on the rag and then wiped onto the part being cleaned.

On the drivers side door there is a hidden screw under the facing plate in front of the latch that you use to open the door. To remove this I used a paint can opener (since it has a little hook on it), this piece is only held down with sticky tape so you can slide the paint opener under the edge of this piece and gently pry it up (pic attached).

14. shoerat

shoerat Rookie

Nov 5, 2004
    Texas
    Used super clean from AutoZone on the map light surround on my Scuderia today. Worked perfectly in 10 mins with a few paper towels. Used paint sealer on the cleaned plastic and bolted it back.

15. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Used denatured alcohol with a terry rag to clean my glovebox button. Rub move to clean cloth area..repeat. Looks great!

16. johnlaviola

johnlaviola Rookie

Sep 30, 2013
    Orange, CT
    Does anyone know a source of "< LOCK" decals for door handle lock levers?

Thanks,
    John

17. Robert Flood

Robert Flood Rookie

Jan 25, 2014
    Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. ferraristyle1

ferraristyle1 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2013
    Baltimore, MD
    Has anyone tried Goo Be Gone?

19. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    #69 docf, May 13, 2014
    Last edited: May 13, 2014
    Interesting writeup. I desticked some of my 360 last few months and sent some parts to SNM. The top air vents did not need to be removed as they cleaned nicely with terry cloth wash towels and Leatherique cleaner. Liked the leatherique as it was not harmful to the leather afterword with soiled leather. The 5 airconditioning vents were extremely easy to remove using nylon upholstery pry bar (can buy amazon prime}. No broken tabs or abraded leather upholstery with this tool.
    If you want to be doubly careful tape the leather around the vents with blue 3M painters tape first. Insert the pry bar gently at the 3 and the 9 o'clock positions , ( tabs are located at the 3,9 and 12 o'clock positions),pry one at a time and pull straight back. Take note of the gears a the 6 o'clock positions so as to restore function when putting them back in. Do one at a time lest you forget the positioning When replacing place small amt. of lithium light grease on the gears. The outer covering can be removed that has all the sticky stuff on it by inserting the tool into the seam and twisting the inserted tool. Once cleaned easy to snap back in place. I like the terry cloth as neither scott towels nor any cotton tips have enough abrasion when used to clean and you work all the harder.
    As to the steering wheel column I did something personal after cleaning it by having it upholstered in Black alcantara. Sometimes the goo is not ripe enough so what I did was place a heavy coat of Leatherique cleaner on the plastic piece and begin work in the morning. All the vents are a nice black satin color and require no painting to finish. Unfortunately you will loose the painted white arrow on ea. of the air conditioning vents. Need to find a silk screener to reproduce. Tried glue be gone but was afraid it would melt the plastic and change the color of the plastic. The smell was intoxicating.
    Docf

20. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    John I sent mine to Sticky no More for that reason. You can probably get the decals by taking a picture then having it silk screened for you. Did this on some aircraft interior parts in the past when screener lived close to work. Was thinking of having the arrows made up for the air conditioner vents.

21. Monteman

Monteman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 9, 2006
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Monte
    Robbie did my last car and is the only way to go IMO. He has the decals and the parts look like the came right from the factory EXCEPT they never get sticky again. It can be done yourself and with good results as this thread clearly demonstrates but I found the easiest method for me was to stick them in a box, ship them to Robbie and a few days later they come back done. Far less stressful ;)

It's interesting that Ferrari has never tackled this problem. It seems like the headers and sticky interior would come up as things they need to fix in their next model but they haven't seemed to do it. Will be interesting to see if this continues in some of the newer models in a few years.

22. Njja

Njja Karting

Oct 16, 2011
    kennesaw
    Full Name:
    JOHN ADIVARI
    Excellent thread for a nasty problem. I believe direct sunlight certainly contributes to this problem. I always put my top up when my car is parked outside while traveling, otherwise it
    is always garaged. My problem areas were my door handles, and the passenger door pull. As
    everyone has said I had a sticky tar like substance that would come off on your fingers.
    Goo Gone, and alcohol had little affect on this sticky problem. Finally I tried Krud Kutter, which
    is available at Home Depot. It is stronger then Goo Gone yet very similar in appearance.
    You must apply it to a good solid rag I used white terry cloth and it works best with rubbing. I guess the heat generated while rubbing really removes the sticky finish. The Krud Kutter by itself doesn't dissolve anything, but when you rub the finish it just melts away.
    It left a nice clean mat finish that I put some Meguiars leather cleaner on when I was satisfied. Only issue was the white lettering on my Lock buttons was also removed.
    A small price to pay for a nice clean interior!
    It is an easy project that took me less then an hour to fix!

23. johnlaviola

johnlaviola Rookie

Sep 30, 2013
    Orange, CT
    Thanks for the advice on the door handles. I think I will send them (and maybe a few other parts that have a high degree of refinish difficulty!) to SNM. Where's the best step-by-step process to remove 360 door handles on the web? :)

24. shawdut

shawdut Formula Junior

May 30, 2014
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Shawn D
    Just wanted to post a thank you to everyone that has provided input and feedback on this. While only some of the parts on my 360 need this (at this stage), I started last weekend with the power window buttons and they look like new now!

25. shawdut

shawdut Formula Junior

May 30, 2014
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Shawn D
    Posting another update: Last weekend I did my ashtray cover and driver's side door handle/lock. The ashtray cover cleaned up perfectly - looks like new. The door handle not so much - the goo came off without issue but I seemed to have rubbed too much on one edge to the point where the black paint came off a bit, exposing the metal underneath. Looks like I'll need to refinish it.

Next is the right hand door and the center piece that contains the side mirror controls and the hazard switch. Speaking of, can that piece be removed or does it need to be done in situ?