F430: Rubbing noise + vibration with gentle steering at slow speed. Any ideas? | FerrariChat

F430: Rubbing noise + vibration with gentle steering at slow speed. Any ideas?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Dave430, Jan 29, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dave430

Dave430 Karting

Jan 14, 2014
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Hi guys, I've posted this up on the relevant car forum and the car is being collected on Monday to be diagnosed but I'm at a loss as to what this may be. I'd like to have some idea so I can at least point them in the right direction.

I got the car back from the dealer this weekend after they did some pretty extensive work. I noticed this as soon as I collected it but thought it might be something as simple as a stone in a tire, however it didn't go away on my drive home.

I took a video of a little jaunt around my neighborhood. The rubbing/vibration starts with a little steering lock and gets slower/less intense as the lock increases. As you can see in the video, when I back off the lock slowly, it gets faster and more noticeable.

I've tried braking and even checked to see if it was the handbrake rubbing but it doesn't get better or worse by applying it. It seems to be a rubbing or even a wheel skipping kind of feeling but it's so hard to describe unfortunately.

Now, the car wasn't doing this before it went to the dealer for the new gearbox + clutch assembly. I've checked the wheel arches as obviously I thought it might just be rubbing due to clearance issues but it's not that. All the wheels are tight and I feel no slack in the brake discs either.

Dealer replaced gearbox, clutch, headers, engine mounts and exhaust brackets.

It almost feels like a wheel is skipping/losing traction but I'm clutching at straws here.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on what it could/may be.

Thanks

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94lL_DS0Ykg]F430 - Rubbing sound when turning - YouTube[/ame]

2. zackspeed

zackspeed Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Zack
    May be the e-diff breaking in? Should be looked at though.

3. Dave430

Dave430 Karting

Jan 14, 2014
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I'm certainly leaning towards the diff here. Car gets picked up on Monday so hopefully it's an easy/simple fix.

4. ferr250

ferr250 Rookie

Dec 6, 2011
    Hi Dave,
    I am based in the uk and have a 430 in my workshop with exactly the same symptoms. Did your problem get resolved? The car i have here only produced the problem from cold, for quite a short period of time. Any help would be appreciated

5. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    #5 FerrariDublin, May 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Sounds to me like it was a hub bearing. I had one go a wee while ago and it sounded quite like that but not nearly as bad. It was a bit tough to diagnose until I disconnected the drive shafts from the differential. Once the hub was free to turn without the resistance of the differential it was very obvious where the problem was.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. F430Spain

F430Spain Rookie

May 23, 2021
    Full Name:
    F430 spain
    Hi Dave,

Do you remember what was the problem?