Ferrari FF v12 GDI engine what ecu options? | FerrariChat

Ferrari FF v12 GDI engine what ecu options?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by GF04RCE, Jan 24, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GF04RCE

GF04RCE Rookie

Dec 2, 2013
    Northamptonshire, UK
    Full Name:
    David Martin
    I have a Ferrari v12 FF GDI engine which i am deciding what to do with. I am interested in advice on the best/cost effective route for getting it running on a dyno. I have a loom but no ECU, so will look for a programmable ecu unit and a base map, if that is feasable.

The only complication is likely to be the two variable valve timing setups on each head, as i am not sure if a programmable unit would be able to operate these.

Any advice very welcome... thanks...

David Martin

2. Fear.Engineer

Fear.Engineer Rookie

Oct 27, 2013
    Poland
    #2 Fear.Engineer, Jan 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
    Hello David.

Can You give me some more details about injectors which are used in Your engine.

Driving 4 variable camshafts is not a problem. Pectel SQ6 will do it with no problem (you can also run DBW throtthle, and coil on plug ignition), Motec M880 will also do the job. But direct injection is a little bit problematic.
    If You will give me more details about injectors used in FF engine, I will b e able to help.

Little Update :)

http://www.motec.com/m1/m1hardwarespecifications/

Motec released M1 ECU. Motec M142 or M182 will do the job with direct injection and 4 variable cams. So running Your engine with standalone ecu is no problem any more. :) Have fun with tuning. It will be a lot of fun to tune such a kind of engine :)

Best regards

Koko

3. EfiOz

EfiOz Formula Junior

Jul 26, 2005
    Lago di Legana
    Full Name:
    Lucivius Maximus
    Marelli Marvel12

or

EFI Technology Euro12

Both excellent tried and true 12 cylinder ECU's.

4. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    MoTeC M182 is your best bet.

5. zackspeed

zackspeed Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Zack
    Direct injectors require 60 amps to be triggered. Ecu needs to be specific for direct injection. Ferrari uses 2 ecus to run the FF engine. We had motec installed on a turbo charged Enzo and needed 2 ecus.

6. Fear.Engineer

Fear.Engineer Rookie

Oct 27, 2013
    Poland
    #6 Fear.Engineer, Jan 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
    Hello.

I'm sure that Euro EFI does not support direct injection.

Using Marvell (which as far is I know also does not supports direct injection) is a real hard thing. I used them in few WRC cars, Super1600 cars and Megane Endurance Throphy. Vision, WinTax,Sysma or Axon software for Marvel is not a easy job. It's for totally Pro in tuning. If You want use some Hi-End ECU go for Bosch Motorsport products. But prices are "take a look and die" level :)

Looking at Motec M182 it seems to be perfect to run FF engine with only one Motec unit. I know that FF uses two ECUs to run this engine. But there's a simple answer "WHY"? There's no stock (Bosch, Siemens, Marelli) which can driver V12 in stock, streetlegal (daily driving car) with fully sequential ignition and injection.
    The case with Enzo is similar. Enzo uses two ME7 Bosch ecu's. ME7 can control max 6 cyl engines.
    It's less expensive to use two ecus designed to control 6 or 4 cylinders, than design completly new ecu to drive V12 or V8. (same situation was in F40 which used two Marelli P48 ecus which were used in Delta Integrale or Ford Cosworth)

Go for Motec, tune properly, be smart, drive safe, stay legal :)

7. Chipwizard

Chipwizard Rookie

Feb 4, 2014
    I've used pretty much all the main aftermarket ECU manufacturer's products and for an engine like this a Life F90 or F90T knocks everything else flat on it's back.

No ridiculously priced 'upgrades' for all the functions you expect are going to be included, like you have with MoTeC....

....their software is really straightforward and helpful, not like Efi Technologies' software..... banging your head on a wall unpacking umpteen folders and files and when you do finally get working it's about as helpful as having a migraine while you're trying to work...

And I'm still, after several months and three or four emails and phone calls, waiting for Marelli to get back to be about their SYSMA software and relevant product training for the SRT ECU and DDU310 dash/logger I bought to use on my own race car (which I've now given up on and bought a Life F88 instead...)

If you're in the UK, Pectel/Cosworth Electronics tech support has been appalling ever since most of their good staff went to McClaren/TAG to do the regulation F1 ECU....

Life Racing. I can't fault the product, the software or the support.

8. Fear.Engineer

Fear.Engineer Rookie

Oct 27, 2013
    Poland
    Hello.

You can take a look at Pectel SQ7Di. But it'd 6 cyl max. So two units are needed.
    Looking at all Motec is still on the lead.

Best regards
    Kuba

Wysłane z mojego GT-I8260 przy użyciu Tapatalka

9. RICE RACING

RICE RACING Rookie

Apr 20, 2010
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter Giljevic
    #9 RICE RACING, Feb 22, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
    I have used and owned every ECU out there pretty much including the Pectel MQ12.

The only ECU worth your time and that is used most widely on Di engines is the LIFE RACING F88 & F90.

I do lots of these and at the moment am setting up two for Di + Port injection applications, the Life Racing has the best feature set, industry leading analysis (free of charge!) and from an end user stand point and function it just works! its set up by engineers who work in the field and this shows in every aspect of operation of them from software to hardware.

Their ECU offerings and company operation is the only one that is heavily involved as a bespoke engine manufacture and electronics supplier (AER + Life Racing) this separates them from the wannabes with glossy advertising hype and or others where support is non existent after purchase or is a total nightmare to operate.

Learn from our experience and use Life Racing, you will be glad you did :) I am ! :)

10. RICE RACING

RICE RACING Rookie

Apr 20, 2010
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter Giljevic
    ^ What he said!

Cosworth in my experience was a total nightmare to deal with, over rated over priced, under serviced.