1981 QP III 5 Speed and 1986 QP III Auto | Page 16 | FerrariChat

1981 QP III 5 Speed and 1986 QP III Auto

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by William Abraham, Nov 27, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    while I thought a QP 3 would round out the Maserati collection the cost is not worth the effort. there r other cars.

2. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    QP 3 was represented as needing a carb. overhaul. bad motor and a fuel system and burnt starter. no way this car was usable. seller was Maserati Compound, Joedro, I was shocked!

3. Maserati Blue

Maserati Blue Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2010
    Europe
    Maybe the cars are fine, but your mechanic is ripping you off? ;)

Just wondering, since you happen to have too many problematic cars... maybe one seller was bad... but two sellers? three sellers?... it can't be just bad luck.

4. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    poor judgement. doing the same thing will get the same results, right?

5. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    I'm never shocked at being underwhelmed when dealing with that individual, unfortunately.

He once described a part to me as "best used quality!!" in all seriousness, whatever that means....

That said, he did give sound advice on tackling a restoration (taking on major subsystems as complete units, instead of a more piecemeal approach).

Classic cars are like real estate, but instead of "location", the mantra is "PPI" (or "documented history", if you prefer). Even with a trusted, expert seller with nothing to hide and a stellar reputation to protect, a PPI gives *both* parties piece of mind as to what exactly is being sold, and in what condition. No unpleasant surprises on either end of the deal.

Sorry to hear you've had some bad experiences. Despite that, it sounds like you've managed to build up an enviable collection of fantastic cars. Hope you enjoy them :)

6. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    got the QP 3 bug. promised myself that was the last QP 3. guess what. bought a one owner out of Calif. holding my breath. will b two weeks before I know. wish me luck.

7. William Abraham

William Abraham Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    William Abraham
    Congrats! It is a bug. YOu should have bought mine in CA. Just finished spending $10 -15k on it getting it right!

8. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    arrived perfect body, not one rust spot. RUNS! compression 120-140 is that ok? leak down normal. needs exhaust and steering boots. shop will get into the car next week. interior worn. I have other cars with perfect interiors. will keep posting results. a good car, I hope.

9. MrMark

MrMark Karting

Apr 3, 2013
    Louisiana, USA
    Glad to hear the good news! Is the one you bought the red one with vintage blue Calif. plates that was for sale in the LA area?

10. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    holding my breath

11. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    Congrats Mitchell,

hope you finally found the one!

Let us know how things progress.

12. William Abraham

Nov 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    William Abraham
    1986 - it is back with ALSA to have the bumpers redone on warranty (great people) and to have the underside of the bonnet(hood) painted back to factory colour (black) and to have the panels re glued as they came away.

In a rant on the QP III catch all thread I mentioned the hot starting issue which was hidden by the lack of fuel. Fuel was jury rigged by wiring the fuel pump into the emergency fuel pump wiring. This was still in my car even though it was delivered with no emergency fuel pump. What is causing the hot starting issue. New battery is in - will check it is not faulty. Still very annoying. If anyone knows of a good auto electrician in the UK that is not afraid of doing some real work on the car please let me know. Perhaps the new cavis is faulty, or some other part that fails when hot? They did rebuild the carbs. Ideas welcome

Waiting on heads for the 81 (the shop stole them to use on the 86). Need to get the motor out of the shop and ready for work in the New Year. Paused the work at ALSA as I don't want a painted car sitting too long waiting for the motor. I need to decide on where to get the work done but have some ideas.

Best

13. William Abraham

Nov 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    William Abraham
    Lovely 1986 Maserati Quattroporte III - EXTENSIVELY RESTORED AND BEAUTIFUL | eBay

OK I have taken the plunge. See what you think about the ad and what I could do or say to improve it. I put the reserve at 12k but it is way too low. Would be more value in new parts to break it!

I am hoping one of the German buyers will take a fancy to it as they are the ones that seem to have the appreciation.

Anyway. More later.

14. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    I cannot believe u r selling this car.

15. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    William, good luck with the sale.

Ad looks good, ample information, I'd say it is an attractive offering. Must be the best QPIII on the market today.

Best,

Jack.

16. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    +1 on that. I assume that reserve is 12K lbs, at least I hope so.

17. William Abraham

Nov 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    William Abraham
    Yes I put the reserve at 12,000 which is really only charging for the new window! All the rest of the work is included!!!!

Still 20,000 is about right given what the European cars are up for. The issue is this is a buy and hold as the rubbish cars are being broken and are still on the market in unrestorable condition. There are cars from 10 to 15,000 and one of them needs a motor job and a quick look shows all the work I have done not yet done.

Any car after 30 years will need rad core, tyres, suspension etc etc unless it is regularly used and maintained or owned by an enthusiast. The best is to get a really good example like the 86 and do it up. I believe then that the rarity will start to tell and prices will begin to curve upward.

On the other hand it is a 4 door luxury car so the dynamics will never go crazy. We then have to wonder about the impact of the new style Quattropoerte V. I see them now 16 to 20,000 pounds. A lot more made, driven by corporate types etc but does that put a ceiling on the value of the older models?? 20,000 for a Classic 86 or 18,000 for a nice QP V???

I think that is why I put the floor as basically what an ordinary car is selling for needing all the work. Of course, it may not sell as, frankly, I think these cars are too difficult to own and should/can only be owned by enthusiasts.

That is the other point, If the car is going to an enthusiast it takes the sting out of losing money as you know it will go to another custodian.

18. William Abraham

Nov 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    William Abraham
    PS PUT SOME BIDS IN!!!!

19. William Abraham

Nov 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    William Abraham
    Can you believe I have had almost 500 views of this car and 25 people watching this!!

Amazing and it does show that there is interest in these cars still regardless of the outcome

20. Taurean Bull

Taurean Bull Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2010
    On my way
    Full Name:
    Chad
    William, I am showing this to my wife.........

Since I bought that old Jeep it will take a bit of convincing though.

Frankly, I think your reserve should be higher, and that's coming from someone on the buying end!!

21. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    It's not in dollars as I understand.

22. William Abraham

Nov 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    William Abraham
    The pounds price is converted to dollars. You would pay in dollars……

BUT send me a PM re my car in the US….

23. William Abraham

Nov 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    William Abraham
    676 views and 34 watchers so far.

24. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I meant that the reserve is not $12K. Correct?

In the USA these still don't go for all that much so that would be a lot for one here.

25. paul robert

paul robert Karting

Dec 29, 2010
    in the USA? so?