Protective bra coating | FerrariChat

Protective bra coating

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by Eli355, Feb 5, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Eli355

Eli355 Formula Junior

Oct 12, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Eli
    What is the latest and greatest film coating for car protection. My dealer wants to use 3m and venture shield clear bra. Thoughts?

2. Eli355

Eli355 Formula Junior

Oct 12, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Eli
    While you are at it does anyone have an installer recommendation near Upper Saddle River NJ

3. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Sent you PM

4. Finlander

Finlander Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2012
    Sunshine State
    I've done Xpel Ultimate on a couple cars and have been pretty happy with it.

5. f in oh

f in oh Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 8, 2014
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Did a lot of research and had various films on cars for the past 10 yrs. Currently XPEL Ultimate is the most durable, best looking film on the market and that's what I'm having installed this spring on my 430. My installer swears by it.
    Alberto

6. FMNJ

FMNJ Rookie

Sep 10, 2013
    Southern New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Frank
    XPEL is a fantastic product - it is also much easier & faster to remove when it comes time for a refresh.

7. Matt@DD

Matt@DD Karting

Jul 18, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Matt Zakarian
    We've tested and installed the X-Pel Ultimate for almost two years after installing other films for over 11 years. It's on my personal car and I have put it through the ringer. It is the real deal. As always, the installer is the key. Just to give you an idea, so far we've wrapped 12 Aventadors in full with the X-Pel film with no issues.

Matt

8. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Let me know if you are ever coming out to Hawaii. I think I could round up at least 2 430's and my 360 that would like the eXpel treatment.

9. New Image

New Image Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 18, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Full Name:
    Kody Keuter
    Another vote here for XPEL, the self-healing film is no gimmick.

-Kody-

10. 1Link

1Link Rookie

Mar 2, 2014
    Any thoughts on whether to cover the full hood or just halfway up - the car in mind is a 458?

11. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    if you don't want to see a line across your hood,then the full hood treatment would be your choice
    those edges have always bothered me,so I sprung for the full hood on my 458
    your choice...

12. Envious Eric

Envious Eric Karting

Sep 21, 2009
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    full front or nothing!!!! the nose on the 458 will get rock chips all the way up if its driven! If its not driven, dont film it!

No matter what anyone tells you, the half front or "standard kits" are ALWAYS visible!

Full front or nothing is my vote. I have detailed cars for a long time now and every car that i do that has a standard front kit job looks decent, but not as good as the other half of the hood/fenders!

XPEL ultimate is the only way to go IMO!!!

plan on replacing every 3 years as well if its on a driver. The longer its on the car, the harder it will be to remove. I removed a clear bra standard kit on a CTSV from just 6 years in the sun and it took us (two people) 6 hours to remove since it became very brittle (3m kit - cheaper film back then). Also removed a corvette film job that had a standard kit and it took us 25 total hours because it broke off into 1/4" pieces the whole way through (15 years old on the car in vegas heat outside every day for the first 10 years). Removed a Ferrari California film job in 15 min from film that was on the car for just 2 years and cared for...super easy as it should be.

13. 1Link

1Link Rookie

Mar 2, 2014
    Thanks for the advice - I was not aware that it was a good idea to replace every 3 years - makes sense. Do you recommend any special products to apply periodically to the clear bra?

14. Ltfor3

Ltfor3 Karting

Oct 14, 2013
    FL
    Full Name:
    L.T.
    Todd at Esoteric put 22ple over the XPEL Ultimate on my front end -along with the rest of the car. I think it makes the whole car shine the same and you can't tell where the bra is and isn't.
    +1 on applicator being the most important part of the process. Very happy with both products.

15. f in oh

f in oh Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 8, 2014
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    I'm not sure about replacing every three years. Unless you put a lot of miles on your car and the clear bra gets pounded constantly, there's no need to replace it. On a seasonal car, I would leave it on for at least 5 years, if not longer. That's speaking from experience. I had my first clear bra installed about 11 years ago on a Corvette and had the hood piece replaced about a year ago. The film came off without any major issues. The car doesn't get driven much, about 3k miles/year on average so the clear bra is still in great shape. Btw, anyone looking for a quality installer in the Ohio/pa region, I've been using Block A Chip. for the past 11 years or so and I'm looking forward to having them protect my f430 this Spring.

16. ncjetskier

ncjetskier Formula 3

Jul 7, 2012
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Can somebody post the average cost of wrapping the front of the car? Thanks.

17. rardoin

rardoin Karting

Feb 11, 2014
    Lafayette Louisiana
    Full Name:
    R Ardoin
    I was quoted close to $3,000 for front fender/bumper/grill/hood (edge-wrapped) with X-pel Ultimate from a certified installer ($6,200 full car) for a new Bentley GT convertible. I paid a local installer $1,600 to do the 1/2 front/windshield surround/mirrors with X-pel Ult. using the kit (not edge-wrapped). I am not satisfied with the kit as there is too much exposed paint margin around the edges of the fender/hood for my taste but I got what I paid for. I was told by the X-pel factory rep that my quotes from the certified installer were a bit on the high side but I did not want to drive the car to Houston or San Antonio and leave it for several days to get the job done. Later this year I will likely drop it off in Houston to a certified installer to have the whole car done. I agree with the above posts that the 1/2 wrap will show the edge of the material more than many advertisers claim. Also make sure the paint is near flawless for the best result, have it installed only in warm conditions and if the installer says "the bubbles will flatten out once the car is exposed to direct sunshine for a while" don't believe them. My experience...YMMV

18. ncjetskier

ncjetskier Formula 3

Jul 7, 2012
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Holy moly, that is expensive. I can have my local body shop repaint the car for $3k. Thanks for posting.

19. Envious Eric

Envious Eric Karting

Sep 21, 2009
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    3k is insanely cheap for a paint job, nothing close to high quality.

ballpark 2K for a full front and 800 Pm me, I have recommendations

20. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    my "pre-owned" 458 spider came with half the hood done. I have decided to go with the full cowl for my new Audi 4S.

Do the whole hood. No question.

Best

21. oss117

oss117 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2006
    Plantation, Florida
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    Who makes X-Pel Ultimate?

22. millemiglia01

millemiglia01 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2004
    the north shore li
    Full Name:
    amante
    These guys are the best. They have wrapped all of my cars including the daily drivers and I could not be happier.

23. Matt@DD

Matt@DD Karting

Jul 18, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Matt Zakarian
    X-Pel does. That is the company's name. They're based in San Antonio, TX.

24. dalundin

dalundin Rookie
    BANNED

Aug 23, 2007
    USA
    Xpel ultimate Is the only way to go. I've tried most of them and it's the clearest and toughest. Litterally just got home from taking delivery on my 2014 italia to the shop to do the car. 3 days and 3600 to do the front hood,bumper, fenders, mirrors and rocker panels with the entire back bumper. These guys take it to the local exotic body shop and drop the bumper and even remove the shields so they don't have to cut the film around and guarantee no seams at all with full wrap around. (Truly important as seams collect dust and grime) did the rear bumper which added 650 to the cost because ferrari adds only a 1/2 inch strip of film behind the back tire and to add more film would add a seam and I hate seams.

I did the same with my Panamera GTS which in 14 months has gotten 14,000 miles and still looks perfect. I had the 3m film on my gallardo as xpel was not readily available and it starts to yellow a bit (car was white so it was noticeable)

Last thing I'll add is there is a new film for the front window called ClearPlex Windshield Protection Film. It was unreal and totally clear. Owner showed me a demo and literary protects the glass from a hand held BB gun, while the uncovered glass had the glassic rock ding.

25. Jean-Claude

Jean-Claude Karting

Sep 23, 2009
    Atlanta
    I've installed plenty of Xpel, Suntek(their self healing film) as well as 3m/Venture through the years.

Suntek's self-healing film looks just as good as Xpel, functions the same and I like the adhesive much more.

Xpel was the first to offer/promote the self-healing films. But don't think their film is necessarily the best at that function because of that. Suntek as well as Xpel's films work exactly as advertised.

I would say my preference is more based on how the film installs. But for the owner, that is important. A film that has better stretching and lifting abilities means a better installation.

As long as the installation looks good, both Suntek and Xpel films are excellent. With Xpel costing about 30% more.

One other thing. The warranties offered by the manufacturer are against manufacturer defects, not wear and tear from use.