Brake Life on California | FerrariChat

Brake Life on California

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Exotic_Car_Guy, Feb 10, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Exotic_Car_Guy

Exotic_Car_Guy Karting

Apr 2, 2003
    California, Carmel
    Full Name:
    Gil Lucero
    Searching through the forum, I see mention that under normal use (limited to no track time), the carbon ceramic brake rotors should last the life of the car. Other opinions?

What is the material used on the brake pads and what is the life span you have experienced specifically on the California model?

Thanks,
    Gil

2. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    Depends , I am sure how how you drive it. i.e tracking will eat breaks and rubber etc.

3. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Front pads on my first Cali were half eaten after 2.5 hours of track time at Mid Ohio. Ended up replacing them at about 25,000 miles. My FF needed rear pads only at almost 30,000 miles but that is from the traction control working to keep the rear wheels from breaking loose :). I would bet a Cali, never tracked nor autocrossed would have brake life of 50,000 miles or more if driven reasonably. 40,000 miles if you have fun, 30K if you autocross it a bit. All from my actual driving experience. Rotors show zero wear.

Rick

whatheheck likes this.
  4. Exotic_Car_Guy

Exotic_Car_Guy Karting

Apr 2, 2003
    California, Carmel
    Full Name:
    Gil Lucero
    Rick,

Very helpful, thanks. What is the typical cost for the pad service (parts/labor)?

Gil

5. deppi0

deppi0 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Edmondo
    I agree with Rick's comments although I am surprised about the "usage" you had on track. I have tracked mine 5 times at Silverstone over 2 years and the pads still had more than enough life in them. Maybe it makes a big difference if you use the car in "normal" or "sport" mode (or CTS off)?

As for cost, I never had to replace them after 2.5 years and 8,000 miles. Parts might be expensive but labour is included in the 7 years service contract.

6. Super50

Super50 Rookie

Aug 31, 2014
    So brake parts are not covered in the 7 year service plan? Only labor?