White dust problem in 430, anyone try this product? | FerrariChat

White dust problem in 430, anyone try this product?

Discussion in '360/430' started by CChung, Feb 10, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CChung

CChung Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2003
    Southern California
    #1 CChung, Feb 10, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
    I'm getting more and more of the white dust in the engine compartment of my 430 lately. I know it's a well known problem that the dust is coming from where the exhaust tubes enter the muffler and many have suggested, including the dealer, to have the connection welded. I was wondering if anyone have used or recommend this product I found on Amazon as a quick and permanent fix to this annoying problem:
    J-B Weld 8297 High Heat Epoxy Putty - 2 oz. : Amazon.com : Automotive

For those of you more mechanically inclined do you think it would work? Thanks for any replies.

2. CAracer

CAracer Karting

Oct 26, 2012
    Pflugerville, Texas
    Full Name:
    John Blanor
    I had the same problem and had my muffler joints welded. The welds came out great and solved the problem.

I'd personally pass on using JB weld. If it doesn't work, and you decide to weld the joints, it will make the welds much more difficult to complete due to JB weld on the joints.

It's more expensive to weld them, but, it's a sure fix for your problem. And your engine will stay much cleaner too.

Good luck

3. Joegnsx

Joegnsx Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 1, 2012
    Valrico, FL & Franklin, NC
    Full Name:
    Joe Gliksman
    I used a competitive product to fix my daughter's Altima muffler. A known design issue with a pipe attached to the catalytic converter leaks/cracks. Anyway, rather than spend hundreds I tried the stuff--a gray putty you "trowel" on with a putty knife. I was amazed how well it worked, and has held for many months now.

4. DannyR

DannyR Karting

Apr 6, 2005
    Alabama
    Full Name:
    Danny Roberts
    Just take them off and have them welded. It's not much money at all and it will be done for good.
    A muffler shop will probably charge you less than $50.00.
    Remember to replace the gaskets with new.