Just sold my Ferrari to buy more TSLA | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Just sold my Ferrari to buy more TSLA

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by JERRYZ, Feb 11, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    I'm not saying electric is right for everyone, I was just explaining why the switch was right for me. That being said, are you aware the Model S has a 265 mile EPA range? Now on the track it would be FAR less but probably at least 80 - 100 miles. And the battery on the Model S can be swapped out in 90 seconds. So if you get a track with a battery swap station you now have all of the performance advantages of the electric drivetrain and none of the drawbacks except for weight. My prediction is that within 10 years electric drivetrains will replace ICE on performance cars. Even F1 is initiating their first electric-only circuit later this year.

2. FJerry

FJerry Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2004
    United States
    Exactly right.

3. kjslider

kjslider Rookie

Apr 4, 2006
    I didn't know Tesla owns patents for advanced battery technology. What is that technology exactly and what value do you ascribe to it?

Generally speaking, investing in technology development is a very speculative endeavor.

What will prevent Toyota, Ford, GM, Volkswagen etc. from doing what Tesla is doing? What will happen with Tesla when they have well capitalized competition, with real infrastructure(dealership networks), and prices for battery powered car prices drop significantly from 90-100k?

4. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2005
    Clifton, NJ
    Full Name:
    Oliver
    The tesla model S I drove was an utter ****pile. Literally all I had was good acceleration. The fit and finish was horrific, the interior looks terrible, the software was laggy, and the owner (a good friend) had all kinds of alignment issues.

nice looking car on the outside and good acceleration. Everything else is an absolute waste of my time.

davemqv likes this.
  5. Kaivball

Kaivball Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia
    Doesn't sound like the one I have or many of my friends.

Kai

6. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    Consumer Reports says it's the best car they have ever tested.

Consumer Reports owner survey gave the model S the highest customer satisfaction score of any car in existence.... And by a wide margin.

The Model S won just about every Car Of The Year award that it could have won

It appears your friends experience is an anomaly

7. DrewH

DrewH F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    A Tesla should be compared to the C63 that you had or a BMW 7 series or S Class Mercedes etc. It is not a sports car. Who cares what the 0-60 times are in comparison to your 430. If your 430 felt like yesterday that is a good thing. You are obviously not a sports car or car guy to begin with. Soon you will be able to program a Tesla and it will take you to your destination while you text away etc. and you will be in complete bliss which is fine while in rush hour traffic etc. but some that enjoy driving will keep a yesterday style sports car for when they want to be part of the driving experience.

8. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    Tesla has made many changes to the 18650 form factor lithium ion battery. The 18650 is the battery that is in every laptop battery pack. Billions of them are made every year. Up to 7000 of these 18650 batteries are in the battery pack for the Tesla Model S. Teslas patents led to a less expensive manufacturing process by using less metallic casing around each cell. They also changed the chemistry of the battery so that it is more efficient for use in any electric car battery pack. And they redesigned it so that in the event of a failure there is less risk of damaging the other cells in the battery pack. In addition to patenting their final solution, Tesla took defensive patents out on similar ideas that were improvements to the 18650 but not quite as good as their final solution.

It's really pretty simple, every other automakers electric car can only go less than 100 miles. The BMW i8 is a joke. It's a Fisker. Gorgeous on the outside but very impractical on the inside. Limited electric range, very slow performance, very little cabin space and trunk space, two sets of drivetrains, and a sticker price 50% higher than the Tesla. And yet the i8 represents the latest and greatest of the current automakers technology. They are way behind.

9. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    I have been a car guy my whole life. I never said the Model S is a track car. DHowever, drive a Model S Performance and you'll see what I mean. Get back to me after your test drive.

10. DrewH

DrewH F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    My neighbour took me for a ride in his Tesla S. It is a nice car and gets rave reviews but it will never replace a true sports car. Stuck in traffic on my way to work a Tesla S is a great car. I wouldn't want to jump in a Tesla S just to go out and have a fun drive. I have an S63 and never remembered taking it for a drive just for the sake of taking it for a drive. Without asking I know that your 430 had paddle shifters. I'd have more fun driving any old stick shifting Ferrari any day than a Tesla S and anyone that truly enjoys driving and really being part of the experience would think the same way.

11. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    Everyone assumes that Lithium batteries will get cheaper and/or have large increases in energy density from where we are today. Companies like Tesla have no doubt factored in improvements in that technology as part of their growth plan. Make the cars cheaper and go longer on a charge.

I am dubious about both positions. The energy density issue will be one of incremental improvements. Two years from now there will not be Li packs that have significantly (40%? 100%?) more capacity than they do today based on size or weight. AFAIK there is no next-gen Li batteries that are sitting in labs somewhere with double the capacity that have a hope of being ready for public consumption. Maybe extremely expensive top secret stuff for the military, but I have already said too much...

Anyway back to the cost issue, currently Li is about 3X the cost of high-quality lead-acid AGM on an amp-hr basis. Many of the Li cells are manufactured in China, it is an expensive and environmentally dirty process. For now the Chinese government either directly or indirectly subsidizes their manufacture as well as ignoring the looming environmental disaster that country is facing in the next decade. Point I am trying to make is that the manufacturing process is already cheaper than it should be and economies of scale will help but not bring down the cost to where the Model S can compete with a straight gasoline car apples to apples. Ever.

This also assumes that a larger company, I'll take Toyota or Honda, does not decide to compete directly with Tesla using their Lexus or Acura brands. From my observation Tesla has done what small companies do in mature markets: find niches ignored by the big boys and try to profitably fill them. They are the primordial little rodent scampering around the dinosaurs. But the difficulty with going from a new company to selling hundreds of thousands of cars is that if you are that successful the big players also see value in competing directly with you. For cars, their dealer network and household reputation will bury you.

Tesla may be the darling of automotive stocks at the moment. Time will tell whether they are Apple...or Pets.com

12. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Love Teslas and I'm not a sedan guy.
    One buddy has one and had it dynoed at Cars & Coffee this past Sunday. It's the only time anyone has ever heard the dyno.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=643282045731356&set=vb.413945418665021&type=2&theater

The torque numbers were inconsistent. They went from 1500 (obvious error) to 582. Horsepower was right around 400, with 408 being the top result.

As for buying stock in Tesla, good move IMO. Only the future will tell.

13. FDT

FDT Formula Junior

May 18, 2010
    La
    Full Name:
    Ric
    Sorry but even with all the advantages of electric, it simply does not move my soul and that my friends is what a Ferrari does.

whatheheck likes this.
  14. Kaivball

Kaivball Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia
    Torque is supposed to be 450.

Kai

15. Tim1137

Tim1137 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2011
    Providence - Boston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I personally think Tesla's days are limited. They make a great car, but where will they stand in 2020, 2025?

By then, larger companies such as Toyota, Honda, GM etc. will have adapted the technology appropriately onto their product lines and simply run Tesla out of business. Who is going to be buying 80-100K electric sedans when Toyota or Honda can make them for half the price or less even, advertise them everywhere, with huge dealer networks, huge warranties to back them up, and the convenience of so many service facilities.

Nissan has already started with the Leaf. Granted it needs a little work still lol, but its there...

Twosherpaz likes this.
  16. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    You do know that Toyota is a major shareholder in Tesla, and licenses Tesla's technology already?

And that is also true for Daimler?

There are some structural reasons why GM or Honda can't "run Tesla out of business." The big one is that none of them are willing to spend the billions necessary to create an all-electric platform.

If Toyota decides this is the future, they'll just buy Tesla. It's not that complicated.

17. Ferrari-F1

Ferrari-F1 Karting

Jul 12, 2013
    Southern California
    Ferrari is an experience. Its not just performance stats.

If you are looking for reliability or low expenses why did you consider Ferrari?

Ferrari and tsla are worlds apart

18. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Annapolis and Daytona Beach
    Full Name:
    Al
    Good post Tundra
    At the same time, I'm convinced to take a test drive now :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Ok lets say a tesla can do 80 miles on track, its weight will have toasted the tires and brakes long before then. Now battery swaps are a lab stunt, no swap stations exist, and would you exchange your batteries for ones from a station of dubious origin and care. The battery swap plan in Israel flopped. I mean would you swap your batteries from a new 2017 tesla from ones that may have come out of a 2013?

Lets also look at the supercharging stations. Do you really think that they can just keep building staions and giving away electricity for free. Its a great publicity stunt and investment to offer the charging stations now, and in reality they dont give away that much power because nearly every elctric car is charged at home. But the stations till cost to build and must have power. Its things like this that make me realise Musk is a great marketeer and built a great product but I wonder about the soundness of his long term buisness plan.

None of which is to denigrate tesla. I think the product is brilliant and Musk suceeded in building a real useable electric car from scratch where BMW spent 3.5 billion to make a crappy hybrid.

The busiess model though is to sell electric cars to rich people who can and choose to pay for the tech. BTW its the same model toyota uses for the prius. Those shopping on a budget can do the math and figure out you never recover the cost of the tech. As others here have said, its also hugely dirty between the cost of making and scrapping the batteries as well as all the high cost energy intesive lighweight materials.

Look at audi, the costs in energy to produce aluminum can never be recovered over the lifetime of the car in fuel savings. in fact the most enviromentaly freindly car over its lifetime is a grand cherokee, normal iron is no so energy intesive to produce or scrap.

Now its true Electrics dont emit smog, and its also true that legislation in terms of emissions make hybrids and electrics attractive to manufacture. Tesla profit such as it is comes from selling ZEV credits and pricing is directly related to gov incentives. So yes regulation may skew the numbers towards electrics. But we are also going liquid enerygy independant in the usa and nuclear which produces a lot of electricity is hugely unpopular.

Now its also true that Teslas new tech is getting a leg up with gov help, but that is fair just like aerospace did.

Where is it all heading, because unless we have mandated emission free zones, even at half the price an electric is going to be more expensive than a gas alternative. So yeah for the wealthy who like eco concious, or people like me who enjoy some new tech and like the idea of vibration maintance free sedans tesla is great. If its by the numbers though, there is a question mark.

Lets also be objective. the interior is sparse for aluxury sedan, the dash top feel cheap and flimsy and rear passenger legrom is compromised by the flat floor for the battery. Yes its a magic machine so Musk may pull off even better ones in the future, but short of China mandating electrics, which is a real possibility Tesla will struggle to sell 400k cars per year.

As to the Op, where do electrics fit in for ferrrari. Its true many of us fud nothig compares to a sticj ferrari, but you may have noticed that they dont build stick ferraris no more. Now look at european emission legislation, it seems quite likely we wills ee hybrid ferraris, hel they just launched aturbi cali today. Its not hard to see a Euro all electric ferrari in the future cruising though Geneva or London. But for the rest of Us ferrari and the Euro manufacturers may learn at their peril that we want powerul gas motors. Hell we even hate stop start which all euro cars have.

There is a reason why BMW still offers a stick on its M cars here and its 30% of sales. In the fodge challenger its 505 of sales, 30% of vette sales are still stick too. There is also a reason why many of us dont buy new ferraris.

So yeah the electric tech is great, yeah Musk hit the ball out the park with the tesla and in reality its a 200 mile range(still great) but as a rip roring sportcar I dont see it. A ferrari is a swiss watch not a quartz watch, they will forget that at their peril. I know I woudl much rather have or even drive just once a 288/f40/f50 than a laferrari. Ever wonder why a F50 is more than an Enzo, yeah its more fun.

davemqv likes this.
  20. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    No offense but you are misinformed in many areas of this post.

- Elon Musk has stated many times that they make, on average, 8% increases annually in better density/lower costs for their lion technology. Their experience is they release new step -upgrade battery packs every 4-5 years that are up to 40% better. He has hinted their next upgrade for the S will be in 3 years and will have a 500 mile range vs. current 300 mile range (driving 55mph).

- Tesla has repeatedly claimed their $/kWhr is 1/3 the rest of the auto industry. The rest of the automakers are about $600/kWhr to produce a battery. Tesla is just over $200/kWhr.

- Most of Panasonic's Lion battery production is in Japan. I think Sony's is as well. I believe Samsung is in S. Korea. They are 3 of the largest 18650 manufacturers. I'm sure much is also produced in China but its not all dirty/cheap production facilities.

- As I stated previously, Toyota buys Tesla's battery pack AND electric motor for their BEV Rav 4. They don't have the technology currently to match what Tesla can do. Mercedes does the same for their all electric Smart cars and the new B-class cars coming to the U.S. this year.

21. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    Good points. However, Tesla is not for sale until the Gen III car (dubbed the Model E - $35,000 competitor to BMW 3 series) is on the road in 2017/2018. Elon and other insiders own 35% of shares and his life mission is to see a mass production BEV on the roads. By then Tesla's market cap will be too big for Toyota or anyone else to buy.

22. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    1) The battery you swap for is a loaner. The swap station charges your battery and then you get it back when you are done with the loaner. And these stations are under construction. Tesla is building them as we speak along the I-5 corridor. Go to their website for a demonstration. It's under the Supercharger tab.

2) Only costs them $150k to build a Supercharger or $300k if it has solar panels. Yes, they will be free for Tesla owners for life. There is a $2k option when you buy the car to have access to the Superchargers. So they have tons of revenue with very little cost to maintain the stations and supply electricity. No one else currently has this technology so if anyone else plans to sell an electric with long range they either need to pay Tesla for access or develop their own technology and network.

3) Business model is for the mass market Model E to be built in 2017. It's a $35k sedan that will compete with the 3 series and c class. Due to maintenance and fuel savings TCO will be the same as a $25k Camry. The prototype for Model E will be released at Detroit auto show in January. This car is going to take over the world.

4) Tesla has 25% margins per car with no ZEV credits. The current regulation helps but Tesla's bus. model is independent of it.

5) No doubt many sentimentalists prefer stick, loud exhaust, etc. I'm not claiming that Tesla satisfies those desires. I'm only stating the electric drivetrain is FAR superior and when Tesla builds a sports car it will run circles around any ICE.

23. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    And for those claiming the existing dealer networks are an advantage for the big automakers I beg to differ. Tesla has almost 100 galleries in almost every major city in the world. They are in shopping malls and there are no commissioned sales people. They are like Apple stores. You buy the car on-line bypassing the dealer system all together. They have service centers in every major city in the world as well to take care of their customers. Guess what this all means??? They don't have to sell their cars at wholesale prices to a dealer like all of their competitors do. They get to sell their cars at full retail price. So each car they sell is twice as profitable as any other automakers. Brilliant for a shareholder. And btw, customers mostly dislike dealers. Much better buying experience.

24. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    I drove one this weekend; it's truly as addictive as a Ferrari. I would LOVE to drive one every day, and plan on it in the future. However the Ferrari will always be a different experience, not a good daily driver. My car is 31 years old - a dinosaur - and who doesn't want to ride a dinosaur every now and then?
    Kevin

25. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    A couple of additional comments:

1) My brother took his Model S on the track, and had a great time with it. I know there are several threads on the Tesla boards about going on the track. It's not a great track car because after a few hard laps, it does start limiting the power.

However, it was never intended to be a great track car. Would you take your Mercedes S-Class on the track?

2) Superchargers. The supercharger business model is actually really interesting. Tesla pays nothing for the land, but does pay for the electricity and the hardware. However, in many of the sunnier locales, they are going to put up solar canopies, which will at least somewhat (and maybe signficantly) offset the electricity cost, on an aggregate basis.

The point of superchargers is for them to be located between major cities, so there is less temptation for the locals to just always charge off of them-- although if there are Tesla owner local to them, there is nothing forbidding that.

As someone on the Tesla messageboard said, "The good news is I live near a Supercharger. The bad news is that otherwise, I live in the middle of nowhere."

3) Battery swap. IMO, this was a stunt which earned Tesla some money courtesy of the State of California, and that's it. I've heard nothing about battery swap actually being implemented.