How do we view the mc12 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

How do we view the mc12

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by ross, Feb 9, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Rookie

Feb 9, 2014
    Pacific Coast
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I've always loved the MC12. The fact that it looks like a Le Mans racer as Ross stated, as well as its intrinsic beauty as noted by kverges, amount to a truly mesmerizing object comprised of equal parts art and machine.

Here're a couple photos (not mine) of a pristine MC12.
    All sizes | MC12 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    All sizes | LaMaserati | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

One of the great mysteries, for me at least, around the MC12 has always been its lack of headlight covers. However, the car in the first photo above appears to have them. Does anyone have any info pertaining to headlight covers on MC12s?

2. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    if the price it right then it's a no-brainer,

I bidded on one at auction a few years ago

3. simsko

simsko F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2012
    I don't it will ever get mainstream supercar status. I think it will be kind of like the 90s Bugatti eb. There will always be people interested in them as they are unique and quite beautiful to certain people.

4. Mr. Francesco

Mr. Francesco F1 Rookie

Oct 10, 2010
    Full Name:
    Mr. Francesco
    I'd love to have one as a part of my collection someday :)

5. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #30 texasmr2, Feb 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I will be adding one to mine eventually...a Hot Wheels Elite! :D
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. BrianZuk

BrianZuk F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2007
    NorCal (Bay Area)
    Full Name:
    BrianZuk
    Absolutely love the MC12. After seeing traditional white/blue examples and this factory black model, I have to say I prefer the all black car.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76x974nhgNk]Black Maserati MC12 - YouTube[/ame]

-Brian

7. Elsi

Elsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2010
    Zürich (Switzerland)
    Full Name:
    Markus
    Ross – Maybe you should contact Walter Bäumer (wbaeumer here on F-Chat). He is a Maserati guru, deals with (vintage) Maseratis and has driven an MC12. As far as I can remember he mentioned that the MC12 is faster than an Enzo and he would prefer an MC12 over an Enzo. Best would be to ask him directly.

Markus

8. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    and that car has certainly gained in value lately !

9. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #34 texasmr2, Feb 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Ross can you offer any more information regarding the MC12 you are looking into, just curious. I have always loved the MC12 and that love was cemented a few years back when I stopped by Ferrari/Maserati of Houston and #35 was on their show room floor. In person the car is mesmerizing and I applaud the designer for thinking "outside of the box".

In addition ie a little more icing...
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlmSU-WJpIQ[/ame]

10. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Way sweeter than the enzo imo, same performance, more rare. What's not to like?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

11. Andrewo

Andrewo Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2011
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    There is one for sale at Symbolic Motors in California that they can't seem to get rid of. It's been there for about a year now. The MC12 is a stunning car and I would choose one over an Enzo without a doubt. Even though an Enzo may be a little more user friendly, the MC12 looks so much better (IMO) and is so much rarer.

12. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Such a shame that such a great car is considered "the ugly sister".

13. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i am not really 'looking into' anything. i just happened to be at the dealer, and there is one on consignment there, and i was reminded how much i liked it. if you are interested, it is at modena cars in geneva.

i think these cars dont move much, literally and figuratively. they seem like a real handful to drive, and thus are even less user friendly than an enzo. so then it becomes a question of whether somebody wants it for speculative purposes, and that is a less viable impulse to buy a car at $1 million.

personally, if i had the DI for this right now, i would be hard pressed between this, and enzo, another f40, an f50, or a zonda. and i would likely get the zonda because for all of the issues around that car, it is the most user friendly of the bunch and hence i would use it more.

14. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Understood.

15. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I just received my copy of the April C&D and there is a good interview with Frank Stephenson the designer of the MC12. He and I talk via PM and email (I just emailed him my congrats) and he has even invited me to McLaren for a private tour when I am able, how cool is that!

16. Mr. Francesco

Mr. Francesco F1 Rookie

Oct 10, 2010
    Full Name:
    Mr. Francesco
    That's awesome.

McLaren will be a sight to see.

17. Johnny_Bravo

Johnny_Bravo Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2012
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. IMO the F50 and the Enzo are the best looking cars in history.
    Others find them hideous.

18. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Not a "beauty contest" just an appreciation for the MC12, nothing more and nothing less.

19. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    its wild and amazing it even exists but style is too out there imo. sometimes the Italian designers can go a little crazy. like a Versace suit. fine to see a celebrity wearing one in a magazine, but not for me

20. RaptorAKL

RaptorAKL Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2003
    McLean, VA
    Saw one in Miami a few years ago. Stunningly beautiful car. It is HUGE on the outside, even bigger than an Enzo, but no less beautiful for it. Would probably be amazing to drive with the top off on a nice warm day....the Enzo barchetta that Ferrari never built!

I also saw two of the racing versions at Goodwood this past year. The uncorked V12 was easily one of the most memorable sounds of those four days...

21. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I really enjoy reading all the informative posts. Thank you all. I've seen these in person. It is striking and very cool and definitely I agree it should be an excellent car investment. I love to learn more about all cars and this is definitely an important car to learn about.

22. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    +1!
    Opinions vary and get clouded but no one can dispute that the MC12 is a odd duck and a vehicle we thought we would never see produced much less sold for road use. That way of thinking is a lost art and will forever be cherished by this fool.

23. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    I've always wondered why only a few had headlamp covers. Factory option? Not road legal in some countries?

24. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    The MC12 is 100% beauty and will be a car to own one day

25. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    +12