So I got a 95MPH in a 60MPH zone ticket the other evening. I was not paying attention | FerrariChat

So I got a 95MPH in a 60MPH zone ticket the other evening. I was not paying attention

Discussion in 'Texas' started by Rennsport, Feb 5, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rennsport

Rennsport Karting

Nov 24, 2009
    D/FW(LAKEWOOD)
    Full Name:
    RICHARD SCHALIJ
    So I got a 95MPH in a 60MPH zone ticket the other evening. I was not paying attention to my radar and just was relaxed hwy cruising in 6th, Cash - American Recordings blaring, - all of a sudden lights everywhere, lol. Advice ? Good ticket lawyer for Dallas. Ticket was from a sheriff unit if that matters, thanks. BTW, no ticket for the front license place that I've never had on my E90 since new :)
    Thanks for any good advice, do not need insurance prem increase :-(

2. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    John Gioffredi; google him as I don't want him to get spammed by posting his number

3. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Yes I realize the flack I will get for my reply but....
    1. Do you not have cruise control?
    2. Sheriff or local PD does not matter as they are all LEO's.
    3. You were driving 35mph's over the posted speed limited (not 10 or 15mph) and as a former LEO and also having been in court for a speeding ticket myself 15yr's ago for 10mph over the posted limit and found guilty....you are screwed imho and I would expect your insurance premiums to increase.
    4. Paying your fines and court cost as well as your insurance increase would still be cheaper than paying a lawyer in the long run.

4. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    Wrong. I am a lawyer and always hire a lawyer. 35 over may limit your options, but I always go for at least deferred adjudication. If you get it, the fees are usually less than the fine, and the insurance premium savings are well worth it. The attorney will change maybe $50 in fees for this process. Money well spent if you pay over $1500 or so annually in premiums.

35 over may be too Much for deferred, however.

5. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I agree with you. I got hit for doing 95 in a 65 back in 2004. My friends uncle is a traffic attorney who referred me to an attorney friend of his who happened to know the judge in the county I got pulled over in.

Judge looked at my criminal and driving record and since I had a completely clean record he reduced it to 24mph above the speed limit which at the time allowed me to take defensive driving.

Gregg's always the party popper.

6. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Exactly where am I wrong or is that just more lawyer speak? Don't forget I have a little time under my belt as a court bailiff and I have heard it all from defendants and their lawyers ranging from traffic to murder. Deferred adjudication might be an option if the defendant is not a habitual offender.

Just saying.

7. OH599

OH599 Karting

Sep 30, 2013
    I'm a lawyer with a bad driving record. For routine speeding cases I have had some success in meeting with the prosecutor and asking to plead to an equipment violation. This will typically work if one hasn't had a violation in the issuing jurisdiction for a while and the violation is less than 20 mph over, does not involve a school zone and the officer did not flag you as an idiot. The key to the strategy is being above board and not denying the violation, accusing the officer of being aggressive, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Wrong. A traffic lawyer usually isn't terribly expensive, knows the powers-that-be in the area, and can smooth over the situation. Insurance increases will easily exceed any lawyer costs. It's worth the $$ to keep the record clean.

Technically, I have a clean record, and my insurance costs reflect that "fact".

9. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    I also have *ahem* a clean driving record... I handle the myself normally by requesting deferred adjudication and never breaking more than one law at a time, but the one time I got a ticket for 100 in a 70, I used a lawyer local to the jurisdiction I was pulled over in, and I ended up paying the fine plus several hundred dollars to the attorney to receive deferred adjudication.

10. Rennsport

Rennsport Karting

Nov 24, 2009
    D/FW(LAKEWOOD)
    Full Name:
    RICHARD SCHALIJ
    Thanks all. I have not had a speeding ticket in many years, and actually that one was dismissed I believe. I will look for a good lawyer for this.

11. MurcieMurcie

MurcieMurcie F1 Rookie

Jan 31, 2004
    My driving record is clean as well and I was taken to jail for reckless driving and speed contest. I wasn't driving reckless but was deep in the triple digits on an empty freeway at 3:30 am. Speed contest was from my buddy doing 135 a few lanes over but wayyy behind me. I bonded out paid my attorney a visit then had DFDJ for 6 months. Cost around 1,200 to put behind me but no increase in premiums or anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. V8ray

V8ray Formula Junior

Jun 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I think is worth hiring an attorney, I never pay a ticket, I rather pay my lawyer and keep insurance cost low.

13. SloW8

SloW8 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2010
    I got a ticket for a simple 9 mph over and did a drivers school so I didn't get any points. I got another ticket a few months later for 9 over. This cost me a few points and my insurance premiums went up for 2 years. The difference in premiums was about $65 a month. 24x65 = 1560. I could have paid an attorney $100 and court fees and been out of the second ticket with no points for less than $250 total.

In Missouri I had a friend who would take care of my tickets in the county for a 12 pack of Bud and court costs. I miss those days.

14. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2002
    Houston
    ^^ this. I got a bad one a couple years ago--speeding and 2 non-moving violations. My attorney settled the case with the DA for very little money and without involving the officer (who seemed to have some personal issue with me despite the fact that I was extremely courteous during the stop).

15. DMaury

DMaury Formula 3

Mar 27, 2007
    Ponchatoula, LA
    Here's one for you LEO's; have you ever heard of a driver being let go with a friendly warning for 120 in a 65?

16. Sushimon355

Sushimon355 Formula Junior

May 27, 2009
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Wade
    When I was a teenager in Houston, I snuck my mom's car out at like 2am and got pulled over by a constable on Beltway 8 doing roughly 145... He was getting on the Beltway when I zipped right past him (I didn't even see him) so he didn't radar me but had a good sense for how fast I was going. I'll never forget pulling over when I saw those lights - he jumped out of his cruiser, literally ran up to my side of the car and in the funniest, most sarcastic tone said "where's the fire at, son?" What can you say in that situation? After making sure I hadn't been drinking, he asked me kindly to please slow down because he didn't want to have to see me again dead on the side of the road...no ticket, no nothing. I'll never forget that guy... kids do the stupidest stuff - I'm fortunate to even be alive given all the crazy stunts I pulled.

17. Treviso

Treviso Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2012
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Always hire an attorney, never pay the ticket. The hit to your insurance and points on your license will cost you many times the cost of doing it right the first time. I recently learned this lesson.
    P.S. I am not an attorney!

18. TRScotty

TRScotty F1 Rookie
    Owner

Oct 12, 2006
    Tyler, Texas
    Full Name:
    Scotty
    :D:D:D

19. okiedude

okiedude Formula 3

Jul 11, 2011
    Remulak
    Full Name:
    Blake
    #19 okiedude, Feb 15, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
    What exactly is "deferred adjudication"? We Okies aren't very smart:)

20. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #20 texasmr2, Feb 20, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
    I think you meant "pooper" ;). I just tell it like it is from my perspective so on that note you still owe me a steak dinner, not that I would accept though. I guess you forgot about my hospitality that day?
    Deferred adjudication is a form of plea deal available in various jurisdictions, where a defendant pleads "guilty" or "No Contest" to criminal charges in exchange for meeting certain requirements laid out by the court within an allotted period of time also ordered by the court. Upon completion of the requirements, which may include probation, treatment, community service, some form of community supervision, or some other diversion program, the defendant may avoid a formal conviction on their record or have their case dismissed.[1] In some cases, an order of non-disclosure can be obtained, and sometimes a record can be expunged.