Alaska Autumn Run | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Alaska Autumn Run

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by Mule, Sep 11, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Quasimotor

Quasimotor Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Full Name:
    George Avgerakis
    My bad. AK of course, AL being Alabama. Go Big Al.

Shameless how people pimp AK tags. Down here, it's a scam for throwing parking tickets away, there being no reciprocity between NY and any other states but CT and NJ. I've seen a few, I must say. I guess that might skew my article results. Any of you guys have a way of checking the actual in-state garaging of the following?

Anchorage 25

Eagle River 2

Fairbanks 11

Girdwood 5

Juneau 14

Kenai 1

Ketchikan 1

North Pole 1

Palmer 3

Skwentna 1

Thorne Bay 1

Wasilla 1

San Antonio, TX 1

Sneeds Ferry, NC 2

Total 69

Note, this is only 69 of the total 173 I was originally given.

Whoo. That's a lotta plate-pimpin.

Quas

2. 4rebob

4rebob Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Full Name:
    Robert Taylor
    Mule - I'm glad to hear you're still around.

The 2 in Eagle River is correct - one is mine.

I doubt there's one in Skwentna, they have no roads.

I would guess the in state count to be closer to 30.

3. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I wonder how many of those Juneau and maybe Fairbanks cars are registered to a lawyer's office or trust company?

4. Quasimotor

Jan 4, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Full Name:
    George Avgerakis
    This is great detail - the bit about Swentna not having roads - very cool. Thanks! I am also beginning to think that a few of these were registered in some places just to make a statement - for instance - a Ferrari from the North Pole. And who doesn't wonder which Palin owns the one in Wasilla (it's probably a poser from LA).

I'm thinking of perhaps just calling the local breakfast joint in such towns as these and asking if there's some guy in a Ferrari in their town, but I'm afraid such a call from an L48 "reporter" will get dusted. Any tips, please? I have a thick skin, so don't reserve yourselves.

Also, we're moving closer to getting a bite from the editor, so now I'm thinking - is it possible to photograph Northern Lights off the fender of one of your detailed steeds? Hell, can you get a good detailing up there or is solo love with the glove?

Finally, I'm snowed in (live in NY) for the 6th time in four weeks and thinking I'd be getting more driving time in Alaska.

Quasimotor

5. 4rebob

4rebob Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Full Name:
    Robert Taylor
    We used these guys for skip tracing: Motznik Information Services

They had Alaska DMV records loaded in data base that was searchable by make, maybe they still do.

6. Quasimotor

Jan 4, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Full Name:
    George Avgerakis
    Okay guys - I heard from my editor at Forza and I am now locked in on topics. There are two:

FIRST STORY: I'm looking for two Ferrari owners who like to drive their Ferraris in the snow. I'll look at several people usually, with the idea of choosing two that represent different philosophies or styles, but who are both dedicated to getting the most out of their cars IN THE WINTER! Do we have anybody up there that wants to be featured with their cars? We will need lots of owner-taken photos - (we all love the ones you posted with the mountains) and about a half hour telephone interview.

Please send me a private message with your name, model, year etc. and a way to reach you back.

SECOND STORY: Is there any group up in Alaska that is doing ice car racing with Ferraris???? Is there a Ferrari Alaskan Race Team anywhere up there?

That's it for now. Many thanks to all. Stay warm and safe.

Quas

7. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Well I'm the one in North Pole but I can pretty much guarantee you that there are not 11 Ferraris in Fairbanks. I've lived here since the late 80s and have never seem another Ferrari here.

As far as driving in the snow. Well "they" don't use salt on the roads they use crushed gravel, little rocks with sharp edges on all sides. Also the roads can be quite slippery, especially at intersections. My wife was stopped at a stop sign and and someone hit her a totaled the car. And then there are the temps, probably way colder than Enzo ever intended for his cars to be exposed to. :)

For me the risks of winter time use is just too great.

8. Quasimotor

Jan 4, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Full Name:
    George Avgerakis
    AK Jim:

Your reply makes me feel like I owe all you guys an apology. From your reply, one might conclude that you'd be an idiot to drive a Ferrari in winter in AK. I did not mean to suggest that I was looking for idiots. Salt, the winter road staple of the L48, is similarly as harmful as stones, but there are people down here who, risk it - many in the belief that if they are going to drive a car in winter, a Ferrari is the safest choice. Perhaps it is that these few people, unlike most of us, can afford the latest model and/or have the funds to restore the damages they incur. Again, I don't mean to imply that you'd have to be a rich idiot. Let's just say that for starters, owning a Ferrari is - at any level - a passion. Some have more passion than others. And I think we all agree that passion of any sort involves some degree of risk, insanity and perhaps a touch of stupidity. I wouldn't take my 308 out in the salt no matter what - well, not unless my daughter asked me on the day she returned from Afghanistan. See? Everyone has their pivot point. Some pivot more easily than others.

If it helps, read the article "Two Takes on the FF" in the Nov. (#129) issue of Forza. I'm looking for two owners in AK like these two owners. Not necessarily wealthy - just insanely passionate.

Failing that, if I broaden the criteria to include "fairer weather drivers," what is the earliest times you start bringing out the cars (and latest you put them away) and what determines that for each of you?

In closing, thanks again for all the great details and comments (I didn't know you didn't use salt up there - any reason why?), and please AK Ferrari owners, step up and be immortalized!

Best wishes to all

Quasimotor (George Avgerakis)

9. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Quasimotor, no harm here. Just pointed out for me the risks are too great. In the summer I pretty much use my Ferrari as a DD. Believe me it's sometimes frustrating dealing with such a short driving season. There are instances where I do think I could drive my car in the winter but I'm usually working on it! :)

10. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
  11. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I've been thinking about maybe taking my 612 up on the ferry some summer, and then driving around a bit between Anchorage and Fairbanks.

12. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    George,
    If I had an FF, I probably would drive it a lot in the winter. However, I live on a dirt road, and usually, the depth of snow and conditions make it difficult to even leave the neighborhood in any AWD car. We usually drive the Yukon with lift, studded tires, and other mods in the winter.

Not that I wouldn't drive in the snow or even do a little conservative ice playing, but realistically, I can't.

13. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    The ferry is a good trip but, the cars are really packed in tight and people are allowed to go below to the cars when the ship stops at ports. Just be prepared to have people brushing up against or leaning on your car. I put a cover over mine and only have aluminum on the trunk and hood and had no problems. The on and off ramps are pretty steep but I had no problems, I guess you could plan your trip to arrive in Haines at high tide.

A great trip would be to take the ferry one way and drive the other. I've taken the ALCAN many times from Montana and that road is really in pretty good shape. Not sure about the route from WA.

14. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I've thought about taking the ferry one way and driving back, but I don't know if I'd do the drive in the 612. I've heard that there is a lot of construction along the way-- with a fair amount of dirt and gravel on those sections.

My brother shipped his motorcycle up, and then rode back, and had a great time.

I suppose I could also just ship the 612 up there.

15. Quasimotor

Jan 4, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Full Name:
    George Avgerakis
    Okay - that ferry trip sounds great. How about one of you guys stepping up and agreeing to an interview, eh? I really need to get this article closer to my typewriter. Please!

G

16. Quasimotor

Jan 4, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Full Name:
    George Avgerakis
    Mule:

Forza Magazine has expressed a renewed interest in Alaskan Ferrari owners. I love this post and would like to use the photos for the article. Do you own them? Can we use them?

Would you be able to update your experiences of driving/owning a Ferrari in Alaska that I could include in the article?

Send me a personal note and I'll give you my direct email address or we can deal publicly - either way good for me.

Quasimotor

17. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    I sent you a PM, but your message box is full.

18. Quasimotor

Jan 4, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Full Name:
    George Avgerakis
    Sorry, Mule. I've got a serious job there to read a heck of a lot of messages! I took off two, however to give you room. Thanks.

Q

19. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Is there still a Ferrari in Ketchikan? I'm flying there tomorrow for a three-day stay and I'd like to meet the owner, if there still is one.

20. Quasimotor

Jan 4, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Full Name:
    George Avgerakis
    I do not know about Kechikan, but there are three really swell Ferrari owners (308, 328, Mondial) in the Anchorage area and one super guy up in the Fairbanks area (265 GTB). They will all soon be featured in a Forza article about owning a Ferrari in Alaska. If you find one in Kechican, let me know. Too late for the article, but my first visit to Alaska was so good it won't be my last, nor should it be yours!

21. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Considering the lack of "sports car roads" in and near Ketchikan, I doubt it would be a good place to own any exotic.

The Tongass Highway goes about 18 miles north from downtown and 13 miles south, and that's about it! If you can't drive the car anywhere, what's the point?

22. Roth

Roth Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2016
    Pepsi Generation
    There is a red Testarosa in Anchorage. Met the owner when I was up there a month ago. Also a black and an orange Lambo in the Eagle River area.

It's not so much the lack of road in anchorage, loose gravel and wet weather make these cars an endangered species.

23. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    #48 Gatorrari, Sep 4, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  24. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    That's a sweet ride ;)
    Are you still smiling ........lol
    Details on the car ?

25. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    That kind of sums up driving in Alaska - nice cars and hot rods, but dirt roads.