Diffuser repair | FerrariChat

Diffuser repair

Discussion in '348/355' started by kderacing, Feb 17, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kderacing

kderacing Karting

Sep 18, 2013
    Chicago Suburbs
    I just thought I'd share my experience repairing the 355 diffusers. I had a small crack in each diffuser keep in mind these were minor enough that on one of them you couldn't even see light through it. So I wasn't sure if I wanted to use a fiberglass patch kit since that would've involved cutting the cracks then filling them with fiberglass cloth. I would up instead using 3M glass filler. I did 1 coat overfilled it then sanded it down. Then a second coat to fill any small imperfections and sand again. Then simply primered and painted both. They turned out great. So if anyone is looking to do this repair I highly recommend the 3M glass filler route. This stuff basically has the shredded cloth already in it you simply add the hardner then spread it on.

2. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    This is a great product for small repairs in fiberglass. If the crack is too long, you need to add cloth for strength. Otherwise this stuff is fine as a reinforced filler. Good job.

3. This sounds like a great weekend project when it finally decides to warm up. Do you have any pics of the fix?

4. kderacing

kderacing Karting

Sep 18, 2013
    Chicago Suburbs
    I didn't take any while I was doing it I was too busy sanding. I just put them back on the car tonight so I'll get some of the finished product.

5. kderacing

kderacing Karting

Sep 18, 2013
    Chicago Suburbs
    #5 kderacing, Feb 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here are the pictures with the finished ones back on the car. Before the repair from the side of the car you could see the crack between the wheel and the wheel well. So I'm pleased with the outcome even though not many people would've ever noticed but it bothered me. Sometime in the future I'll pull all the panels and do the same. There are scratches on some of the other underbody pieces.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. That looks really good. I have a nickel size chunk that broke off the sides, I'll try this route. Thanks for the pics.

7. Brigadelok

Brigadelok Karting

Jul 31, 2009
    San Anselmo, CA
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    Looks great. I need to do mine. What kind of paint did you use to get a good match?

8. kderacing

kderacing Karting

Sep 18, 2013
    Chicago Suburbs
    I used a matte black spray paint. It doesn't match perfectly but I'll probably wind up doing all the other undertrays too eventually so they will all be perfect and match each other. Since you can't see the others without the car on the lift I wasn't too worried about that aspect of it. I didn't want gloss because I think that would look stupid. They are accent pieces in my opinion that you see from the rear. I do like the CF ones that are available but not sure I like them enough to drop $1100 on them.

9. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #9 308 GTB, Feb 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The diffusers work in conjunction with the undertray to produce down-force...

10. kderacing

kderacing Karting

Sep 18, 2013
    Chicago Suburbs
    Yes but I don't think having the paint match affects downforce :)