3500GT Barnfind | Page 31 | FerrariChat

3500GT Barnfind

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by mfletch, Jan 8, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Wow!
    Fantastic job!
    We finished within a month of each other. :)

2. mfletch

mfletch Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    Thanks Rob. I doubt that either one of us would have believed someone back then, if they told us that it would take 5 years to finish our cars.

3. Ursa Major

Ursa Major Karting

Feb 25, 2011
    Norway
  4. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    From your ad copy:

"My brother removed the transmission and was unable to locate 2nd gear."

This must relate to the "optional alpine gears" ?

Probably I missed that in your saga….

5. mfletch

mfletch Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    #755 mfletch, Feb 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Ursa Major, thanks.
    Tritone, 2nd gear was referring to the transmission. It took a while, but I was able to purchase a NOS second gear from Jacques at Maseratisource. The "Alpine gears" were referring to the differential and it was a term used by the previous owner. Here is a picture of lettering painted on the differential by the factory.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. mfletch

mfletch Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    #756 mfletch, Feb 24, 2014
    My Ebay auction only went up to $136,200. I have been contacted by 7 people since the auction that are interested in buying the car. I just turned down an offer of $195,000. If anybody here is interested, $200,000 will get it done. If it does not sell by tomorrow, I will relist it on Ebay with better pictures and open it up for worldwide bidding.
    I was surprised to find that my car has been featured in four different websites...Finally: ?59 Maserati 3500 GT | Mint2Me
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    Good job Mark, hold firm at 200K which is a very good price for your car and perhaps a little light for a matching number good history 3500GT. Considering your car has its original trunk material,and the transmission has been disassembled, reassembled and bench tested by ZF in Germany on their test bench the car should sell for 240K at least. That's only 174,716.00 Euros.
    FGM

8. mfletch

mfletch Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    Thanks Frank. I originally was hoping to get $230,000. If you have any marketing suggestions, please let me know. In the meantime, if it does not sell today, I am going to put some miles on it tomorrow and bring it home. I am in no hurry to sell.

9. awohlmann

awohlmann Karting

Jul 6, 2008
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Alfred Wohlmann
    Frank, don't forget in Europe we have to pay additional 10% import turnover tax for cars coming from a non EU country. In some countries (like Austria) even more.
    This means the price is minimum 192K euros (or higher).
    Alfred

10. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    I am a firm believer in listing the car in as many places and as often as possible.
    FGM

11. mfletch

mfletch Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    Just sold for $200,000. I am going to miss her.

12. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    Congratsulations. Where will the car be living?
    FGM

13. mfletch

mfletch Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    Thanks. Brian brokered the deal. I have no idea who is buying. She is going back east . I should know more tomorrow.

14. ch2056

ch2056 Karting

Jun 11, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marcel
    Congratulations Mark and thanks for your excellent thread. I have been reading this from the start and it was worth it every post.

If I buy a car from the USA and have it shipped to the Netherlands I would have to pay 21%VAT over the purchase- and shipping costs.
    So if a car is 175K euro and the shipping is 2K euro the end price would be 177 * 1,21 = 214K Euro!!

Marcel
    101-442

15. wilde

wilde Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2009
    France
    Are you sure ??? If you import a collector car (over 30 years old) in France, the VAT is reduced to 5,5%.

16. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    I have sold quite a few Maseratis to Europe and it seems the new owners have ways of importing the car for between 5% and 6% tax. The rules seem to change every year. For several years most cars were going through Rotterdam, now the UK seems to be a popular importation destination. Once in Europe and taxes are paid the car is free to move between countries. At least, that is my understanding.

Ivan

17. marcflorie

marcflorie Rookie

Jul 10, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marc Florie
    Hello Ivan,
    that's correct what you stated. When I bought one of my 3500 in 2008, importing into Holland was fine, I guess 6% or so. Now Marcel is right it is 21% in Holland, but in France it is less (I thought 8% but read in this thread it's 6%). I contacted 'Belastingdienst' (=Tax Governance) here in Holland and they confirmed to me that is is completely legal to import the car in another EU country (e.g. France) and then move it to Holland.
    I think Mark got a good price for such a nice car, probably in a few years he will say 'wish I never sold it' but that's how things go with these rare and beautiful cars.
    @Mark: Excellent result!
    Kind regards, Marc

18. wilde

wilde Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2009
    France
    France, 5,5% for many years, jump to 7 %, and back to 5,5% at the beginning of this year.

19. mfletch

mfletch Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    Marc, thank you very much. I know the car will do nothing but go up in value. The money is going toward a riverfront home. My 87 year old dad will be joining us. Fishing from my back yard with dad....priceless.
    The car is going to Fantasy Junction. It was bought by a NY investor.

20. marcflorie

marcflorie Rookie

Jul 10, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marc Florie
    Excellent choice to sell. Things can give a lot of pleasure but the love for and joy with another human being is priceless. Live life to the max...

21. mfletch

mfletch Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    #771 mfletch, Apr 1, 2014
  22. 3500 GT

3500 GT Formula 3

Nov 2, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Gentleman Racer
    Congratulations Mark! Well sold, although I suspect 101.530 may be offered again soon.

Great efforts on your part, well done Sir!

Ciao and best!

23. mfletch

mfletch Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    Thanks Trev.

24. TBigs

TBigs Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2010
    NW Ohio
    Full Name:
    Terry
  25. reggiedog