348 to 512TR | FerrariChat

348 to 512TR

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by kenyon, Feb 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    Ray,

Is the cost of running a 1992/3 512tr about the same for a 348 1994 ?

I have seen a 512TR 1992 at Kent High Performance for sale. What do you think ? I was thinking of changing my 348 to 512TR.

I rather have 360 over 355 if I sold my 348 spider. But I really like the 512TR which could be bought and used this year....

2. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    #2 kenyon, Feb 29, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    KHPC Car Detail
    FERRARI 512 TR, 5.0 FLAT 12 , 1992J.
    Finished in red with magnolia leather interior, red carpets, 38,300 miles, air conditioning. Known to us for many years.

£39,995
    Stock Number 1312
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. RAY430RED

RAY430RED Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Marlborough Wilts
    Full Name:
    Ray F
    #3 RAY430RED, Feb 29, 2004
    HI I think the only downside to the TR is maybe the belt change will be slightly more expensive (depending where you go ) The engine comes out of the top not underneath Mine is due this year . The power and torque in that engine is fantastic You can be toodling along in fourth or even fith floor the throttle it sits its a-- down and its off like a scudd missile You must get a tubi fitted if you buy it but leave the cats on its just too loud if you change them to also emissions are a chore at MOT time KHPC are a good bunch to deal with i have knwn Rodger and Claire for years Claire is very very good at leather trimming
    RAY360M
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    Ray,

I understand yours is one of the last 512TR. Was there any changes made between the 1992 and 1996 512TR models. I know about the 512M. Do not like it as much with regard to the wheels and rear end.

Many say the 512TR is not a drivers car on country roads and what are they like on track ? They only good in straight like. I know the 348 can be thrown around ......

5. noony

noony F1 Veteran

Nov 25, 2003
    Seoul
    Full Name:
    Johnathan
    Verdi seems to have pretty reasonable service pricing.

6. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J

Kenyon ,

Car looks mint, I prefer it in Yellow has an excellant presence...Good luck with whatever you decide...

Ray

Have you got or had a 512TR before the 360, how do you compare the power output...same/better????

Ive heard the 512tr is a monster of a drive.

Joe

7. RAY430RED

RAY430RED Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Marlborough Wilts
    Full Name:
    Ray F
    HI guys anorack time I have both cars and they are both differt animals butfantastic fun to drive and own I drove the 512 TR to the factory and back last year and i can tell you its a proper GT car I spent the day at Castle Combe last week and did 100plus miles on the circuit its predictable great brakes and safe uses a bit of fuel but who cares The 360m is more nimble just as quick and has all the gismos and at my level of driving i would say faultless a cracking car to drive .

512TR early and later car difference 105 R/h drive made
    Later car Different carpets
    Handbrake different
    Badging on side different Pinnafirina same as 348
    Stainless plate next to accelerator pedal
    Clutch housing and bearing different
    Later model has ABS braking
    Air boxes are black on later car silver on early
    There is a yellow 512M about at a cheap price i have been watching for a long while if tempted talk to me FIRST

8. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J

Are you running on Stock exhaust ray, ive got Tubi so this restricts my car to a few tracks :-( ...What a bummer, looking forward to FOC trackday at Silverstone tho...Hope theres not anoise restriction..

Respect for owning both cars...Ive just ordered new CS, got to go out in Wazza,s today sounds and excellerates a bit faster than the stock 360...
    Joe

9. RAY430RED

RAY430RED Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Marlborough Wilts
    Full Name:
    Ray F
    Hi Joe I have a tubi on the 512TR but have not changed the cats it sounds fantastic but not obtrusive inside the car I have also had two Supertraps madeto fit tailpipes for noise reduction at places like C/Combe Thuxton Goodwood ect they dont seem to effect the cars performance . They must cause a bit of back pressure. I must say i am tempted to get Manu to fit one on the 360m but it will cause even more grief at trackdays at the above tracks If your interested i could post a pic of them they are not pretty but work I asked Manu if they could get something simerlar made ,if he could it would up his Tubi sales (are you reading Manu) . The Stradale sounds even better its just a shame these and other circuits are so tetchy on noise these days

RAY360m

10. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J
    Pics and costs would be great, thanks Ray.... love to hear the 512tr someday... I bet that sounds sweet!!!

Joe

11. RAY430RED

RAY430RED Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Marlborough Wilts
    Full Name:
    Ray F
    #11 RAY430RED, Mar 1, 2004
  12. noony

noony F1 Veteran

Nov 25, 2003
    Seoul
    Full Name:
    Johnathan
    What is early and what is later? (which years)

13. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J
    Hi Ray

So how does this work it siply restricts the airflow and reduces the noise?? Right ...good idea im sure it could be tweeked abit further to increase flow and just stay under the 100DB limit?? Its a good idea imo..

How much of the power is reduced Ray>???

14. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    Hi Ray seen these in demon tweeks,these things must get the engine,exhaust,
    runing warmer than normal what are your views on any long term damage to these components,

Dale.

15. RAY430RED

RAY430RED Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Marlborough Wilts
    Full Name:
    Ray F
    I am certainly not an expert on engines and exausts heating ect I have been going to trackdays since the late eighties and as circuits have got more noise tetchy you have to find ways over it or you cant go simple as that On race days it was not quite so important but is getting more so now. I have used my system over the years on a 348 355challenge and my TR with no problems at all, you might say i have been lucky who knows . Seeing as d/tweeks and others sell these and over the years i have seen dozens on all sorts of Ferraris at circuits i have not known anybody have problems So i suppose you pays your money a take a chance or dont bother with trackdays if you have a lovely exaust note It does not seem to make any difference to power i think if it did i would think maybe gases were not getting out quickley enough and maybe would cause a problem

RAY 360M