Tires and age | FerrariChat

Tires and age

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Aedo, Feb 20, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Aedo

Aedo F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2006
    Perth
    Full Name:
    Steve
    This is a question for those with multiple cars that do limited mileage each year.

How do you manage tires to keep them in good condition? As I understand it and from my own experience performance tires that are beyond 5 or 6 years old (from date of manufacture) loose their edge... rapidly.

Is their any way to slow this aging process down for cars that are only driven a few thousand km per year? The tires can easily age out before wearing out which does reduce driving enjoyment.

Any solutions (other than to replace tires often)?

Thanks

2. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Personally I'd use three years as my own guide as these are expensive cars and it's a false economy to let them hit the streets with tyres that are anything but in tip-top condition.

I know that keeping them out of sunlight where possible is advantageous. Also, if "winterising" the car it's better to take the wheels off and store them horizontally.

Ultimately rubber likes to be flexed regularly in order to retain it's suppleness so really there's no better way to preserve them than to actually use them.

3. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    I agree with Greg. Three.... MAYBE four years... max...

It's just not worth taking a chance, to me anyway.

Mike

4. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Drive the thing enough miles to wear out s set of tires every other year.

010 and 71Satisfaction like this.
  5. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
  6. Madaboutred

Madaboutred Karting

Aug 10, 2013
    Athens Greece
    Full Name:
    Aris Thomazos
    Remove tyres, wash them with a mild soap, bag them in proper bags and store them in a stack of four with the wider on the bottom line.
    In case of regural everyday vehicles, of the same brand, one spare set of wheels with tyres can be handy, as it can be interchangeable from one car to the other.
    This does not apply to slicks or semis, that tend to lose their moisture and dry rot.
    If stored on the car, use jack stands, or try to move the car a few inches every week so as they make a full circle during a months period.
    Top tip, tyres are like your skin.
    If you freeze or sweat in your garage, so do your tyres. So keep them in a dry, lukewarm temp and if this is not possible, remove them and bag them.

7. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Nor are we talking about high performance vehicles with eye-wateringly expensive repair costs.

Just sayin' :)

8. Aedo

Aedo F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2006
    Perth
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I'm looking at increasing the fleet and only do 5-6000km per year on my DD. Low kms... but I enjoy every one :)

Any idea if this will potentially extend tire life by?

9. Aedo

Aedo F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2006
    Perth
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks. That points out a major cause of deterioration, oxidation, which could point to a benefit of nitrogen fills... but does make me wonder - would tires last longer if stored in an inert environment (such as nitrogen)??

10. Madaboutred

Madaboutred Karting

Aug 10, 2013
    Athens Greece
    Full Name:
    Aris Thomazos
    Im not so fluent in english, I so not understand the question.
    Could the answer be "one more summer" according to your weather conditions?
    Usually stored tyres remain smooth and have grip for a max of 5 years in the "perfect" environment (mild spring and not so hot summer)
    If you put them on and park the car in the driveway under direct sunlight and heat, there is no point to store them for more than 3 years.

If this answer is not satisfactory, please rephrase.

11. twestby

twestby Rookie

Jan 20, 2007
    Pa, Fl
    Full Name:
    todd
    #11 twestby, Feb 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    i have several cars. removal/lifts too much for me. i park on wood (absorbs moisture and soft) every so often move the position. its worked for me for many yrs.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

010 likes this.
  12. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    I remember trying to wait just one more season, ended up having an accident. When in doubt, buy new tires.

13. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Then buy R-compound Tires, I only get about 3K miles on them, whereas I get 10-12K miles on ultra-high performance summer tires.

14. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Are you actually driving at more than about 100 mph (very briefly) on these tires?

Tires that are V rated?

I had this problem with my Testarossa - metric TRX Michelins, and had to accept new rear tires that were beyond their DOT date. They were VERY difficult to find. The old ones still had tread but were beginning to crack between the tread blocks.

My personal standard was DOT date plus 10 years, and no sustained 120+ MPH driving.

15. DDD

DDD Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2011
    Full Name:
    Domenic
    How old were tires and what was the driving, street, track?

16. DDD

DDD Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2011
    Full Name:
    Domenic
    Benn told 10 years if in good condition. Also inflate 4lbs over max during storage.

17. Aedo

Aedo F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2006
    Perth
    Full Name:
    Steve
    It isn't your English that is the problem... it was mine... :eek: - I meant to write "Any idea how long this will potentially extend tire life by?".

I already do :) - I get about 10k km per set (they are on an Elise).

18. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Pisses in your Cheerios

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    Michelin says 5 years and out. Even if they LOOK good they are already suffering from interior degradation and are a lot harder. Noticible difference between 5 yrs old and fresh. GTS Bruce

19. roadracer311

roadracer311 Formula 3

May 6, 2009
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I would guess that it all depends on the storage environment. When I bought my 1995 F355 in 2010, it had 124 miles on it, and perfect original (albeit flat spotted) 15 year old tires. I flogged them for 1,700 miles before accepting that the flat spots were never going away. The rubber was surprisingly good. Then again, the whole car was apparently stored under a cover in the dark for 15 years. I don't think this is typical. I'll bet if you parked a car down by the beach, in the sun, the same tires would go off within three years.

I've got a decent sense of tires being "off" too. I raced motorcycles for 5.5 seasons, and held the class record for 2 out of the 3 tracks where we raced.

20. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    I left my tyres on the 328 far too long, over 10 years.

When I changed them the guy called me over when he was removing one. The machine which squeezes the tyre to remove it from the rim had actually caused the sidewall to break in half and had punched right through it. He said he had only seen that happen a few times. The sidewalls were so brittle. Vary scary and I learned a lesson!

21. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    A couple of track days will do the trick.

22. PVEferrari

PVEferrari Formula Junior

+1, I put new tires every 5 yrs regardless of how many miles on them for safety.

Not worth taking a chance!!

23. BBL

BBL Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2006
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Never try to save money on tires or toilet paper. These are things that will save your a s s.

24. davebuchner

davebuchner Formula 3

Jun 1, 2005
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Dave Buchner
    Scary stuff - had you noticed the performance dropping off?

25. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    I had three year-old Z rated tires unraveling on the inside.