What is my 308 worth? | FerrariChat

What is my 308 worth?

Discussion in '308/328' started by CarreraScott, Feb 23, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CarreraScott

CarreraScott Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2004
    Charlottesville, VA
    #1 CarreraScott, Feb 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have my 1980 gtsi on eBay and bidding has actually gone up quickly (close to $29k now with 7 days left) -- and it has a LOT of interest -- like over 200 people have the auction on their watch list. It does have some cool documentation with it (original window sticker), had a full service in 2009, original manual and case, runs great -- but as my description says it is by no means a show car. A few people have asked for a Buy It Now price, and I'm not quite sure what to say. Wouldn't mind hearing some input.

Here's the listing: Ferrari 308 Gtsi | eBay

Thanks!
    Scott
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. JasonMiller

JasonMiller F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 16, 2004
    Co Springs/ Texas
    Full Name:
    Jason Miller
    Well I have sold a bunch of cars on ebay as of late, and so far EVERY buyer that has won the auction has flaked. You cant leave negative feedback and cant get a refund unless the buyer agrees to "cancel the transaction" Fortunately for me I had so many emails about the cars they sold anyway.

You have a beautiful car, and I hope it goes for good money and you get paid..

3. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I noticed it on Ebay - unique paint scheme - really good looking car. Why offer a buy it now if you don't need to would be my take...if someone wants it really badly, they will stay in and spend more than they want to...

What's it worth? Who knows - 29k currently. ; ) If you had asked me a day ago, I would have said "around 30k".

I paid mid 30's for my carb car a couple years ago which was probably of somewhat similar condition - maybe worse; not as "original". But the entire collector car market is up ~20-30% and I think 308s are trending even better. So regarding buy it now...at 29k currently, I would not make it less than 40k, and with so much interest, why not make it 45k?

Good luck!

4. CarreraScott

Jan 30, 2004
    Charlottesville, VA
    Thanks. I agree in letting it go, someone offered me $30k but that's just to close to where it is. One buyer bid $32k but then retracted. I do know a lot of buyers flake, but with over 200 watchers, apparently there is interest. FML shows GTSi's asking at over $31k. So I'll probably wait it out. In no hurry to sell.

I would have agreed with your "about $30k" as well but it seems the market has gone up, like you said -- and this one has a lot of unique and positive things that should make it desirable.

thanks!

5. DDD

DDD Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2011
    Full Name:
    Domenic
    28-32K that is the realistic range been tracking for 3 years

6. RJR89

RJR89 Formula Junior

May 14, 2006
    200 watchers?! Or 200 views?

7. CarreraScott

Jan 30, 2004
    Charlottesville, VA
    200 watchers. Close to 4000 views now.

Sent from Tapatalk

8. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    There are frequently a rush of bids…then it stagnates for a while and then some final bid(s) in the last few seconds by "new" bidders using automatic programs like ESnipe.

So basically there is no telling how high (or not) it will go. I wouldn't bother with a BIN, I have never seen any benefit from it as a seller though I do tend to like it as a buyer sometimes.

As noted, be very careful - I have been buying/selling on ebay since it started and it has changed considerably whereby as a seller, you have virtually no rights while the buyer can get away with the most absurd claims - to the point of getting your item for free with YOU refunding HIM for the full price because he claimed he never received the item. Yes, that's happened to me to the tune of $600 USD. Though with a car that would be almost impossible since registering it would prove he actually has it.

9. RJR89

RJR89 Formula Junior

May 14, 2006
    Wow! Didnt realize there were that many people looking for these cars.

Put it for sale in the classifieds section here. You will have a better idea who you are dealing with and it will prob sell.

10. CarreraScott

Jan 30, 2004
    Charlottesville, VA
    Already have it in ferrariads and no interest so far. I'm a heavy eBay user with my business so I do know Ebays downfalls. That said I've sold many things including cars and have never had an auction with 200 watchers. Guess in 6 days I'll know what it's worth!

Sent from Tapatalk

11. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    What's that noise you can hear clearly before you turn her over & you continue to hear until you leave the cabin? I'm thinking heater fans. If so, I'd advise switching them off & putting up another video for your listing.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVq32iT-af0]1980 Ferrari 308 gtsi Starts Right Up -- For Sale -- VIN ZFFAA02A7A0034205 - YouTube[/ame]

Interesting that your car is a month or two later than mine but has the stacked centre dials.

12. CarreraScott

Jan 30, 2004
    Charlottesville, VA
    It's the key buzzer. Makes that sound when you have the key in and door open.

Sent from Tapatalk

13. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Thanks - If I ever had it, this "safety feature" must have been disconnected a long time ago. I can't imagine being able to do much on the car with that ringing in your ears :)

14. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    I put the sweet spot for an average car with 50-60K miles and in good condition to run around $30K. Some will get more and some will get less. Anything in the $40K+ range would have to be a good as new restoration. For a 2V I maybe $25-$30K and a QV maybe $30-$35. If you are willing to wait you'll get your price but if you want to move on $30K sell it pretty quickly.

15. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

qv's for 30-35k? wrong!!

I guess by average you mean a clean driver that has been serviced w/ major?

16. CarreraScott

Jan 30, 2004
    Charlottesville, VA
    Thanks for all the input (and continued input). I'll let the auction run it's course and hopefully the high bidder will pay, but otherwise will relist -- not in any rush to get it out the door.

17. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    You can always close the door ;)

18. red3555gtb

red3555gtb Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 15, 2006
    Woodbridge/Ontario
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    Thank you, for your expert advice.
    I will now go look for that 308 with the "good as new restoration" in the $40k+ range.

19. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nice looking car!

20. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Look for two since your at it, I want one as well.

21. greg 19425

greg 19425 Formula 3

Jan 6, 2011
    Wake Forest, NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Gee, look for three. Do they pay a little extra for rust in NY? :)

22. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I tend to agree with Steve.

Are you seeing QV's moving for the low 40's with regularity?

23. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    "The gauges are often inaccurate (like oil pressure, oil levels etc). You could say it's all the charm of owning a 3-decade old Italian car!"

This comment would give me pause if I were a buyer.

How do you know it is bad gauges showing low oil psi. etc. ?

That is either a cheap thing to fix with a call to Rutlands for a good used set, or a car that is shot and has been trying to tell you... through the gauges.

24. CarreraScott

Jan 30, 2004
    Charlottesville, VA
    Just being honest, the engine runs great, holds oil, starts up, doesn't overheat, so I think it's the gauges. They aren't crazy but I wouldn't trust them -- which is why i check oil manually and keep the gas full. ;) I just don't have time to order from Rutlands, which is really why I'm selling.

But appreciate the input!

25. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    low oil psi reading isn't something to casually ignore, though