What is my 308 worth? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What is my 308 worth?

Discussion in '308/328' started by CarreraScott, Feb 23, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CarreraScott

CarreraScott Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2004
    Charlottesville, VA
    It was like this before and after the major was done. FoWashington showed no concern with the engine oil pressures, and I declined them digging into the gauge problem at the prices they were quoting.

2. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Clean your grounds real well. An hour of shining those up may be the difference between selling your car or taking what you can get for it.

3. CarreraScott

Jan 30, 2004
    Charlottesville, VA
    Thanks, I'll see if I can get some time to do that this week. Appreciate the advice!

4. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    +1
    and even better, get a bottle of stabilant 22 and hit every connector and terminal you can. Hands down that stuff is the shiznit! I've gotten flood cars to start talking to the ECU after drying out and going over the connectors with it! pricey stuff unfortunately, but worth every penny.

22 is concentrate and 22a is dilute with isopropyl.

5. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
  6. 308inSD

308inSD F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 17, 2010
    SD, CA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Is there a thread or other online info that shows where the oil pressure gauge ground is and what it looks like? Sorry, no luck tracking that down via search.

FWIW, I have a similar lazy oil pressure gauge. I had Bobileff check the pressure at the sender and also install a new sender, but same lazy gauge. He also expressed no concern about it when I asked but for my own piece of mind I decided to ask him to test it anyway.

7. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    If you guys think you have a gauge problem the put in a mechanical gauge at the oil filter and verify if it is gauge or engine problem.

8. Doug R

Doug R Karting

Oct 11, 2005
    Yellow Springs Ohio
    If a winning bidder flakes out YOU CAN get your listing fees back if you never get paid. I always insist on a paypal deposit ($300) within 2 days. If your terms are stated in the listing and you don't get paid ebay will reverse your listing fees. At least they have for me. Generally I've had pretty good luck using ebay. If a car doesn't sell directly on it many times it sells shortly afterward to one of the "followers".
    FWIW

9. CarreraScott

Jan 30, 2004
    Charlottesville, VA
    Yup, I have been using eBay for many years and have close to 4000 feedback rating. I'm not worried about it and know just because something sells it doesn't mean the buyer is going to pay. That said, I have someone coming to look at the car this weekend, and with over 200 watchers I can't imagine a few more won't bid. ;) But, we'll see!

10. Euro Quattro

Euro Quattro Formula Junior

Apr 20, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Kent
    Then what do you think QV's are going for? How about a euro QV? just curious

11. ExigentM

ExigentM Rookie

Jul 18, 2010
    Hamilton, Oh
    Full Name:
    Mark Kile
    Make it 3, I'd buy another one at that price.

12. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I wouldn't sell mine anywhere near that.

Depends on the car, but it does seem like there's been an uptick recently.

It's a beautiful car in an unusual color scheme, good luck! I'm very interested to see where it lands too.

13. CarreraScott

Jan 30, 2004
    Charlottesville, VA
    Me too! ;)

14. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    This is pretty inaccurate man based on the data I have seen for the past 3 years.

There are almost never any as-new restorations for sale. If they really are as-new, the owner will easily be looking for 60k or more. Likely more.

15. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    If mine starts and reads low, I tap on it, and it swings to the real reading..

There IS no "oil level gauge"?
    It's a dip stick....

16. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    We will have to use Newmans project, as the high water mark for a wet sump, steel bodied car.

It was not a NON CAT car to start with, being a 1978, but was built to those specs.

17. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I agree there are few "as new" early 308GTBs, at this point, I much prefer the "services current, up to date" as a description, and you can easily see the paint and trim condition for yourself.

18. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Man, you are absolutely dreaming.

Three years ago yes, not anymore.

For this car? 40 - 45K all day.

19. CarreraScott

Jan 30, 2004
    Charlottesville, VA
    You're saying the car I have on eBay is worth 40-45k? Or are you referring to another car?

20. myronx19

myronx19 Formula Junior

May 27, 2012
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Full Name:
    Myron Samila
    #45 myronx19, Feb 25, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
    Nice car, Scott. I like the colour (interestingly, I'm looking at one in Rosso Rubino as well - but not boxer scheme - it's growing on me!).

There's a 2Vi located on the east coast of Canada for sale - it's listed at $29K (it's been for sale for over a year), but it most likely doesn't have a rebuilt engine and other work as yours does. Obviously that work puts your car at a higher value than others.

As to it being worth 40-45? I think that's a little on the high end for 2Vi's, but if you're not in a hurry - you might get that.

As for "almost as new condition" - last year I checked out a '78 GTS #23693 with 10K miles on it - repainted in yellow on tobacco (originally gold). Car was outstanding @ $56K Canadian this time last year (out of my budget). It sat unsold for four years (I'm assuming). I don't know if it ever sold, but I think it was good value for how good it was.

here it is in 2009 @ $49 (did not sell) $56K in 03/2013

1978 Ferrari 308 GTS Targa | Classic Car Auction of Toronto - Spring 2009 | RM AUCTIONS

21. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    Usually cars that hit the R&S auction would be considered top of the line condition. This one appears to be up there but didn't get the $'s that were invested in bringing it to this condition. It would be interesting to see what it sells for . As much as I would like to see the 308 series appreciate history has kept them stalled. I still say the average cars with 60K miles are not commanding much over $30K.

22. jimgolf1

jimgolf1 Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2013
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Jim Small
    From my recent personal experience, Steve is spot on. That's not saying that the price ceiling isn't always being tested or that the 308's should be worth more. I can believe my old '72 911 is worth twice as much with 5 times more miles on it.

If you are patient at selling or buying you will get a reasonable price. Last fall I bought a very original '85 308 GTS Euro QV red/tan from the 2nd owner with 59k km. It has all the documentation, complete tools and jack with the car. I put on new tires, only because they were old but looked new, fuel pump, charge AC, belt service and the correct euro front bumper and I am still in the bottom of the range Steve suggested including taxes. At the time I was looking at 3 other '85's on the west coast in the $28-$35k asking range. All in good driving condition. I'm sure different times of year are better for buying or selling.

It all depends how much you want a 308 or how much hassle you want to deal with selling. My next one I hope will be a blue '75 GT4. Wish me luck, inventory seems low but I am patient. Even if prices go up there is always someone who needs to sell or buy and hopefully negotiate a little.

23. myronx19

myronx19 Formula Junior

May 27, 2012
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Full Name:
    Myron Samila
    Hi Steve,

The 2009 RM auction was our little local event, nothing super high end. This was probably the nicest car there. RM no longer does/puts their name on particular auction (it has a new name).

When I was planning to come see your car in October, I was also going to see an '83 GTS red on black with red piping - 70K miles, 16" replicas + OE TRX, 4 year old belt service, decent shape for $30K - ish.. I think the new owner of your car got a great deal - early GTB's I think are next in line to appreciate - not so much the 2Vi (although they're still nice)

So "average" 30K cars are still out there.. And eventually people will start restoring these average cars, which of course will drive up the prices of those examples.

Eventually, $30K cars will be mere basket cases!

24. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    OK thanks , got it. I know this tends to be a sensitive topic because no one wants to hear or believe that their car looses value or stays the same. I also think many on this site tend to take care of their cars so naturally they believe they are worth more then they bring. I wonder how many 308's are owned on this site and how many are out there in the world and in what condition. I read somewhere that because the 308 was the low entry Ferrari the owners tended to just drive them and let the maintenance slide. We all know what that brings and that would keep the value down. Also the early cars without rust prevention seemed to be neglected. Hopefully someday the values will go up as more of the beat cars bite the dust. I had mine for 14 years and it was fun and now the new owner will have just as much fun.

25. Fairview

Fairview Formula 3

Mar 16, 2009
    Waynesboro, Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jeff Ward
    Steve,

Entry level to the Ferrari world is still quite a lofty place. These were expensive cars when new in comparison to most anything else on the market.

And entry level isn't always a bad thing. The Porsche Speedster was certainly entry level... who the heck would want one of those? :)

Jeff