Just sold my Ferrari to buy more TSLA | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Just sold my Ferrari to buy more TSLA

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by JERRYZ, Feb 11, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mlambert890

mlambert890 Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2002
    CA
    Most of the naysayers are really just arguing "I dont like this change, I dont want change"

The human race evolves and its technology evolves with it. Every shift results in a new group of vocal deniers, but things move forward anyhow.

Anyone who truly believes that in 50 years there wont be a huge number of autonomous electric cars on the road, and that some number of them won't be Teslas, is simply going to be wrong.

The *vast* majority (and i mean VAST majority) of people think of a car as a transportation appliance. They also tend to hate oil companies and like clean air. Not everyone hyper politicizes everything. A car that silently drives you to work everyday, that can maybe even be owned partially in a time share model, and never requires a trip to the gas station, is *hugely* appealing to *most* people.

The wishes, hopes and desires, no matter how passionate or angry, of a relatively minute number of enthusiasts can't even *dent* this macro trend.

Some enthusiasts bemoan this as some sort of huge loss, but honestly there is no more fragmented community than the enthusiast community anyway. There are millions of words wasted on "holy wars" about manual vs automatic, hydraulic steering vs electric steering vs unassisted steering, RWD vs AWD vs FWD, even pushrods vs OHC. At least the "I dont care about cars" crowd agree that a car is just basic transportation that should be easy, reliable, economical and efficient. Hence it is *no surprise* that all of these trends are designed to check those *exact* boxes.

2. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    You lost me here. If that were the case in the VAST majority of people only cared about getting to work or school as efficiently as possible, then a Smart car or Mazda 2 would be the runaway sales hits for years. Cheap & efficient way to move from home to work for sveral years on your way to your last ride in the back of a hearse...

But they aren't sales hits, in fact people drive cheap cars because they have to. For most people that have dirt cheap new or used cars it is due to their financial situation. They cannot afford anything better. People that could care less about cars also usually don't drive luxury sedans, they get a minivan or crossover for $35k and drive it into the ground.

The Tesla is not a cheap car at $75k, and the chances of them ever building an inexpensive car that I would define as less than the median price for all cars (about $30k today), the chance of them doing so is basically zero. So Tesla will always be a premium vehicle selling at premium prices. It is a four-wheeled Apple product.

The number of people able and willing to spend $65k, $60k, or $50k on a limited-range car using new technology with zero long-term reliability data will remain extremely limited.

3. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    tundra - you really should do your research before making false claims. Tesla will have a $35k sedan that will compete directly with a BMW 3-series on the road by 2017. The prototype is scheduled to be released at the Detroit auto show next January.

And here's the kicker, the TCO (total cost of ownership) will be the same as a $25k Camry due to fuel and maintenance savings. Guess how many cars Tesla will sell when they deliver a BMW 3 series quality car with all of the EV advantages and it will cost the same as a Camry for the buyer? Tons.......

4. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    False? $35k > $30k last I checked.

5. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2005
    Clifton, NJ
    Full Name:
    Oliver
  6. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    You must be a troll. TCO < $30k.

7. chenglo1

chenglo1 Formula Junior

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Cheng
    Jerry,

Can you imagine a Tesla Like powertrain in your ex-430? Ofcourse peering through the rear windshield will no longer be thrilling but Hey, IMHO, the lines and curves on the 430 blow away the Model S. Looks alone, the 430 or any Ferrari, draws serious attention. Can you imagine saving all that $$$$ on your fcar maintenance and repairs when your Fcar has the simplicity of the Model S power train? We may have to speak to Elon's peeps. Anyone willing to donate their 430 chassis? Hmm...maybe pickup a high mileage Rossa Corsa F430 for Elon's team to doctor up? Then again, i'm sure he can afford to do that himself if he wanted to.

8. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    So in the last two posts directed toward me you have implied I lied (making false statements), as well as being a troll.

You are clearly buying everything Musk says. He may intend to build a factory that will be capable of consuming the world's supply of Lithium raw material. He may intend to build a car that is less than half the cost of his current offerings (and cheaper than any viable EV before it).

At this point both are just promises, not unlike huge range entensions from the battery pack that he has promised. Picking the low-hanging fruit of Li-Ion energy density is one thing, sustaining that rate of improvement as the technology matures is something else entirely. But it sounds great to prosepctive investors who want to follow momentum.

Slick move BTW on attempting to redefine my statement as defining true cost of ownership. Not what I posted and you know it. Purchase price under $30k is what I said. So who is making false statements?

Think of all the things that could easily cause Tesla to crash and burn as a stock. Right now it is the media darling. What happens when fickle fashion moves on to the next big thing, or stocks tank in general? Tesla may survive or thrive as a company, that doesn't mean the stock will be where it is today.

I get that you sold your 430 to buy more stock and hopefully turn it into Enzo-type money. Good on you for taking the risk, I look forward to seeing pictures of your Ferrari collection when you cash in the stock someday. Your tone when anyone states obvious impediments to Tesla taking over the world four wheels at a time however is very off-putting.

BTW, most trolls don't survive to have thousands of posts.

9. Racedrvr

Racedrvr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 24, 2008
    Kentucky/Florida
    Full Name:
    Don
  10. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    I think the Tesla Model S is amazing and the people I know with one agree. But it is luxury car and relatively low production. It remains to be seen if a low cost/high volume product is possible and I personally don't believe Tesla can bring a 3-series fighter to market at $35K.

Musk's genius was understanding that an electric drivetrain is incredibly expensive and the incremental cost only makes sense in the luxury segment where an extra $10-20K for the drivetrain is not that big a deal - people pile on options that high in the S-Class, 5 Series and Audi A8. Notice that Tesla only offered prompt delivery on the top-of-the-line P85 - and you simply cannot get the entry level car at all any more (I am not sure if any were really made). Add a very sleek touchscreen and pleasant, conservative styling and you have a great alternative to those looking for their next luxury sedan. Finally, the timing was perfect to get loans, public and private.

It remains to be seen if an electric car can be practical and affordable for people of average or less means or who don't love cars. No other manufacturer has been able to bring a great car to market at under $35K with range enough to make it an only car, and I have to think most or all have been trying. The Nissan Leaf is not there, nor the Prius, Volt, or any other product. I think Tesla has a huge challenge if it wants to be a volume producer of an inexpensive all electric vehicle that can be an only car.

11. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    He has plans to bring a 30k car to market for 2015 or 2016. He's been preaching his business model for years and so far it's working. High end sports car to grab attention for what an electric car can do, mid market with the Model S, and then low end high volume for phase three.

12. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    Model S is not mid-market. It is luxury. I can believe an economy content car for $40-50K but I will have to see it to believe it at $30K.

13. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    Tesla has stated they will be revealing the prototype of the $35k Model E at the Detroit Auto show in January 2015. Your doubts are about to be crushed. Don't fool yourself into thinking the existing auto makers have technology as good as Tesla's. When it comes to batteries, Tesla is far, far ahead of everyone else. And they have the IP to protect their technology.

14. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    I find it very interesting we have a lively discussion about electric cars on a Ferrari car forum.

Ago

15. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
  16. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    I thought Tesla was using standard "18650 form-factor" batteries that are commodities in the consumer electronics market.

I understand there is more to it than stringing together a bunch of laptop batteries, but I question your comment about Tesla's leadership in batteries.

17. craterface

craterface Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2011
    Sanibel Island, FL
    I own a Ferrari. I own a Tesla. Both great cars, but for different reasons. I did not buy a Tesla for the eco benefits. I did buy it because the driving experience is like nothing else. No seven passenger vehicle can touch it (it has a third row). We traded a BMW X5 to get it. Also, none of the dollars spent to fuel our Tesla benefit dictators in Venezuela, Iran, or anywher else. It runs (indirectly), on all-American natural gas.

It has been observed above also that Tesla may not have made an entry level model after all. Not true. Our car is the 40Kwh model. They produced enough to honor the orders of people like me who made an advance deposit. They delivered these cars, and then decided to phase out the 40kwh model, due to low demand. My car in fact has a 60kwh batterry which is software limited to 40kwh range (about 120 miles in real world conditions). I can pay to have the extra battery capacity "unlocked", but I have found I don't really need it.

So far, 12k miles in 9 months with no issues at all. The thing just works. Maybe the Edmunds reviewers did get a lemon.

That said, the stock price is silly, and I might short it.

Scott

18. Braces

Braces Karting

Mar 24, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Independent car dealerships are starting to lobby against Tesla. A sort of turf war since Tesla has no conventional dealerships. States (such as Arizona) are contemplating legislation to even the playing field. Weird thing is Arizona is in the running for their factory.

19. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    Tesla is not using the standard 18650. They have made several modifications to it which they have patented. The mods they made were to make the 18650 more efficient when used in a battery pack for an EV. These changes basically make their version of the 18650 cheaper and with better energy performance. They changed the chemistry, the casing, the caps, etc.

20. Voda

Voda Formula 3

Oct 10, 2013
    Seattle
    +1
    Tundaphile definitely not a troll, so relax with the confrontational attitude. I happen to agree with him on most of what he says and if it was me, I'd sell every bit of the Tesla stock I owned, consider myself lucky, and by another Ferrari. It is an absolutely overvalued stock considering the boutique market and that is a small player who thinks it can make the rules (i.e. no franchise dealers, etc.). Time will tell.

21. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    Slick move on answering your $30k challenge? Actually, my answer is more complete than yours. Purchase price is only part of the equation of car ownership. Maintenance, fuel costs, depreciation, etc. all contribute to the total cost of ownership. The Tesla Model E will have TCO of approx. $25,000 Camry.

Glad you posted the Goldman report. They finally get it. Tesla has the opportunity to disrupt the entire automotive industry the same way Ford did with the Model T. Morgan Stanley is of the same opinion. The world is about to change.....and those who figure it out first will be able to profit because of it.

As far as the dealers are concerned, those protectionist laws are archaic and only intended for existing manufacturers who have contracts with an existing dealer network. The laws are un-American and anti-capitalistic when applied to new manufacturers who have no agreements with existing dealers. Why can't a company sell cars direct to the public the same way Apple can sell iPhone's? Every poll that has been conducted on this subject favors Tesla over the dealers by margins of over 90%. The dealers may have won some battles for now but Tesla will win the war. This is America, and we don't stand for anti-competitive, anti-progress legislation that protects car dealers.

22. Voda

Voda Formula 3

Oct 10, 2013
    Seattle
    This is America, which is exactly why Tesla will either cave and conform, or lose. It's the same reason we have to ask, "Why do we have ethanol in our fuel?" Unfortunately, that is just how it works here in the "good-'ol-US-of-A." On the otherside, there is no place else in the civilized world, I'd rather live. Anyway you cut it, Tesla is completely overvalued and the market will correct, its just a matter of when.

23. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    I did not pay attention to the Tesla until recently because I don't drive too many miles a year, and I love the sound of 12cyl. engines ( my idea of beautiful music). My 2 daily drivers get decent mileage for the amount we drive them.(4cy.) Anyway this no dealer thing: There has to be a lot of overhead in the fancy showrooms and the car salesman sitting around waiting for customers. Also the free charging stations will go to pay charge when the ele. cars get more popular. And I also believe the stock price is inflated.

Ago