Ferrari LaFerrari vs Mclaren P1 vs Porsche 918 | Page 275 | FerrariChat

Ferrari LaFerrari vs Mclaren P1 vs Porsche 918

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by mpowered, Nov 3, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DLC

DLC Karting

Feb 22, 2008
    Upstate New York
    Full Name:
    David
    The "real deal"? I understand that he's inovative put what's his deal? He is producing a 1300 HP car for what? Straight line speed runs? If thats it, John Hennessey will give him a run at half the cost.

I will be very surprised if this is a capable road car able to compete with the big three on track. So really, what's the deal? :)

2. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    BTW, Ferrari hated that technology as it didn't work right at high RPM.

3. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Drive one.

4. DLC

DLC Karting

Feb 22, 2008
    Upstate New York
    Full Name:
    David
    Very funny. :) Find me one.

5. Argosy

Argosy Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2013
    This seems to be geared more towards track and corners, than straightline speed, which is merely a byproduct of a lot of power it has.

6. DLC

DLC Karting

Feb 22, 2008
    Upstate New York
    Full Name:
    David
    Hopefully they do some track work before they deliver their cars to the customers to show us enthusiast what this car is all about.

7. Kudryavchik

Kudryavchik Karting

Dec 15, 2012
    Great new koenigsegg... But for what? Man can buy 911 gt3 cup and demolish this 1360hp on any track)

8. robinou30

robinou30 Karting

Jun 23, 2008
  9. Luque

Luque Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2009
    Italy
    In the 2009 the 1368 cc to version came first. Named as multiair, the Mito / Giulietta version was named 'Best New Engine of the year' in the 2010

Luque

10. perrinnation

perrinnation Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2012
    The Detroit area
    Full Name:
    David
  11. piratepress

piratepress Formula Junior

May 18, 2009
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Chip A.
    "The undoubted highlight of Top Gear Season 21 Episode 5 is the Porsche 918 Spyder review. Whilst the team did hint that the Stig would set competitive lap times for the Porsche 918 Spyder and the McLaren P1 during this episode, we are now hearing that this did not happen. The Porsche 918 Spyder is sure to impress the team, featuring a technology packed hybrid powerplant."

Top Gear Season 21 Episode 5

12. boyko23

boyko23 Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2014
    It was damp last week, now what?
    Or we have to "wait till next Tuesday again"?
    :)

13. darko

darko Rookie

Jan 25, 2014
    That One should manage a darn scary lap around the Nordschleife.
    If they do it, I predict something under 6:40

14. rossocorsa13

rossocorsa13 F1 Rookie

Jun 10, 2006
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    M
    You talking about a Weissach package 918 compared to a regular 918?

17 seconds around the Nurburgring is an eternity. Doubt that Porsche left that much potential in their standard car.

15. modena

modena F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2006
    Full Name:
    John
    So there will be no P1 v 918 comparison and no P1 lap time.

McLaren made excuses about the Nurburgring and now the Top Gear track. Something's not right at Woking.

And to think the McLaren groupies are saying the LF is a disaster because it spun on track lol.

Let's hear the excuses fan boys :)

16. lcworld

lcworld Formula Junior

Dec 25, 2013
    I agree. But with race tyres... the 6:57 was set with standard tyres, all the more amazing. if they do 6:47 with race tyres it'll be impressive enough. Awesome machine.

17. rossocorsa13

rossocorsa13 F1 Rookie

Jun 10, 2006
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    M
    To be fair, the 918 probably has superior traction and a more favorable throttle response (n/a vs. turbo) for wet conditions.

Also, I'd bet that water would cause the P1 a lot more problems because of its extreme transformation in track mode. The P1 has very little "give" in this setting (damping increases by 300%), and a wet road surface would probably be pretty disastrous, especially when up against the AWD and softer suspension settings of the 918.

The question for TG should probably be whether or not the track mode of the P1 can be used to set a time for a "road car." No production car can transform anywhere near to a P1 in track mode. You could probably argue that the P1 becomes a completely different car.

Or look at it this way: Set up the P1 and 918 for rain (given their available factory adjustments) and put them both on wet track rubber. Who do you think wins?

18. rossocorsa13

rossocorsa13 F1 Rookie

Jun 10, 2006
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    M
    Agree, but not relevant to N'ring production car lap times.

The standard 918 pushed its tires beyond the limit for the length of its N'ring lap. I don't think the Weissach pack offers that much more performance in terms of an outright lap time, because the tires are already the limiting factor for the car (indeed, of all the cars in this genre).

I could be totally wrong. And I'm with you--I'd still love to know what it could do on slicks.

19. MD326

MD326 Karting

May 6, 2007
    MD & FL
    Full Name:
    WJP
    Looks like he's referring to the Koenigsegg One.

20. giacomodiroma

giacomodiroma Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 11, 2013
    With much pleasure I am here to calm you modena from your concerns.

No excuse ever made from Mclaren, they made record lap time on Nurburgring and Top Gear circuits and have no need to release the timing yet, better to let Porsche and Ferrari sweat for now. I know you are sweating also because you repeat often that Mclaren must say what time they make. You can not sleep well?

Yes, LF really appear to have disaster on their hand with suspension handeling. If one of best driver in the world can not make this car going in a straight line, who you suggest is able? Alonso? Montezemolo? If you watch the sequence, tell me, do you think the entry and exit speed of Kimi is extraordinarily fast to be the reason for this spinning?

So you see modena, no excuses from fan boys, only obvious facts that you refuse to accept, but it is nice to admire how strong you try to remain, even when your defences are weak. Stay strong!

21. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    You are really childish, and this holds true throughout your whole "ferrarichat career". A car going of road means nothing, absolutely zero! I have seen normal cars, sportscars, LMP1 prototypes and F1 cars careering to the nearest bush/wall easily and unexpectedly. Your anti-Ferrari sentiments are borderline boring, if not suspicious...

22. rossocorsa13

rossocorsa13 F1 Rookie

Jun 10, 2006
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    M
    Ah. One, capitalized.

23. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    Clearly going wide, too much throttle while partly on the kerbstones, then over correcting. Classic driver mistake. Nothing wrong with the car. Kimi was just out there having fun.

24. Scuderia980

Scuderia980 F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2006
    Mountains--Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave S. V
    I enjoy Giacomo's ludicrous rants. You never know what you'll get day in day out. Comic relief,.

25. Scuderia980

Scuderia980 F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2006
    Mountains--Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave S. V
    Weissach car said to be 2-3 seconds lap faster than standard car. Also, there was word that during the same test, the car did a sub 6:50 lap with 'cup' tires. Since that test, Porsche has continued to improve and refine the machine. With the improved e motor performance/calibrations and battery tweaks, the 'final' spec Weissach 918 is believed to be capable of under 6:50 on 'as delivered' spec tires. We'll see in due time.