Ferrari LaFerrari vs Mclaren P1 vs Porsche 918 | Page 277 | FerrariChat

Ferrari LaFerrari vs Mclaren P1 vs Porsche 918

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by mpowered, Nov 3, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. modena

modena F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2006
    Full Name:
    John
    LOL

I share your sentiments. Looking forward to hearing your impressions of the car.

Well said. Erik may not technically be on McLaren's payroll but he is hugely biased towards them and his tendency to vehemently defend every controversial and ridiculous decision made by McLaren thus far (and there's plenty of them) goes to show that the company can do no wrong in his eyes. This is a grown man that is clearly blinded by the love and adoration of the car manufacturer that he's dedicated such a significant part of his life to. He is a man obsessed and he will never be able to hold his hands up and admit that McLaren may be wrong because in his eyes McLaren are perfect and they can do no wrong.

Sad...

2. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Time for my special "in love" face! ;)

Top Gear track was dry, 918 was ready, promises and bets were made...

Some say they should call it Godot! Dismal.

3. modena

modena F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2006
    Full Name:
    John
    Good review of the Porsche 918 on this weeks Top Gear. Would have liked if it was a bit longer and more detailed but I guess they want to save some material for the comparison with the P1 which James and Jeremy said may happen around June or July (they used the word "hopefully" a few times) :rolleyes:

Hammond commented on the Nurburgring lap times for both the 918 and P1 and pretty much sums the whole thing up.

4. modena

modena F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2006
    Full Name:
    John
    The sun was out and the track was perfectly dry but clearly not dry enough for the P1 :rolleyes:

5. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    Thanks for replying.

6. CraigyMc

CraigyMc Rookie

Mar 2, 2014
    If Top Gear are making a special, it'd remove any suspense if they ran either car round Dunsfold for TV before that.

I'm not so sure about it being "perfectly dry" anyway. I live fairly close to Dunsfold and it's not been dry here for rather a long time (the wettest winter in living memory, possibly since records began).

7. mathematics

mathematics Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    LeatherFoot

Any video for some of us who couldn't watch it?

8. piratepress

piratepress Formula Junior

May 18, 2009
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Chip A.
    Search for Top Gear S21E05.HDTV.x264-TLA

9. Wtdoom

Wtdoom Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2012
    Agartha
    Full Name:
    WT Doom
    Current 918 will be 15 seconds faster than last attempt . The word "sandbagging" comes to mind .

I did say there was no head to head :(
    Mclaren have no desire to do a Dunsfold " head to head with any car as this is not a fair reflection of what our car will do . "
    Ill get you the exact quote tomorrow . However I dont doubt it will be very fast there , a lot of development of the car was done there .

10. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    The 918 looked pretty good in motion on TG's episode today. Love the interior and the dash.

11. mlambert890

mlambert890 Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2002
    CA
    +1000 Great point IMO and really well illustrated. Those who want to live and die by lap times, and in particular 'Ring times, at some point are going to have to do some *hard* soul searching regarding the GTR, a car that badge elitists in general, and Tifosi in particular, do tend to love to hate.

If lap times are the end all be all, there is pretty much no reason at all to own any Porsche, Ferrari, Corvette, Viper (or anything else really) below the hyper car level. Since hyper car buyers are demonstrably capable of dropping more than the combined net worth of any 10 normal people on *one car*, "bang for the buck" is clearly not an issue there.

This means that for these buyers in particular, there is a *lot* more going into the buying decision than 'Ring times. That makes me wonder... Other than for bench racing fanboys, and journalists who need a story, does it really matter at all if one $1.2M car is 18 seconds quicker than a $120K Nissan and the other is only 15 seconds quicker?

Is the fact that a Nismo GTR is *literally quicker* than *any* car that has come before it rendering the CGT immediately obsolete?

If the answer is "no" then the same should apply to the 'Ring pissing contest between these hyper cars. I dont care all that much about any of them (love all of them, will never in this lifetime be able to even see one in person much less drive one), but the general idea of "assign value by 'Ring time" I find to be a bad trend. If McLaren (or Ferrari or whoever) is doing nothing else than trying to buck this trend then that's a thumbs up in my book.

12. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    How did you know? Are you the Stig? ;)

13. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  14. 330i

330i Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2006
    Erik, do you know why McLaren is so fussy with the P1 - no NS time, no TG comparison with the 918, even in the dry - even if everyone that has driven these new hypercars says the P1 is in a league of its own?

15. Scuderia980

Scuderia980 F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2006
    Mountains--Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave S. V
    of course we need a 'time' of some sort. how else would we know where they stand relative to one another? to say that a car is 'obviously' fast so there's no need for any kind of measurement is silly. to say that hypercars (because they are inherently amazing in and of themselves) are above any sort of measurement is silly. lap times, just like other test data such as 0-60, handling numbers, etc. provide an objective way to categorize. a lap time is just one metric, and not the only one that a car should be judged by. no one said that cars should be assigned value based simply on numbers, or that numbers make a car special.

lap times and other measurements are only misleading if you let yourself be blinded by bias and ignorance. and the fact that you refer to Nismo GTR in the frame "such a cheap Japanese car..." says a lot. yes, the 12C's and 458's of the world are far more 'special' in the emotional sense, but you clearly fail to see (or don't care) just how impressive the engineering is with the GTR. instead of asking what's wrong with the 12C or 458, because they're 'slower', you should be asking what's right with the GTR, that it's able to do what it does. credit where credit is due. also, do you really need someone to explain to you why the Radical, even with far less power, is faster than 918 at the NS (for now at least, because in due time, the 918 should top both SR8 and SR8LM)? or how an 'old school' Viper ACR went so fast?

16. Scuderia980

Scuderia980 F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2006
    Mountains--Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave S. V
  17. P_RSR

P_RSR Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    New York
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Agreed. I hate all these reviewers bashing the 918 compared to the p1 when no one has even driven a final production spec 918...

18. Gmaccormack

Gmaccormack Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2010
  19. Adrenalin Junkee

Adrenalin Junkee Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2007
    CT
    Full Name:
    Zach
    i went and saw the car myself on saturday and it is a sight to be seen. that particular example however was a pure show car, it had no engine and was lowered to the race height without the wing up.

.......i guess mclaren has to hide the cars true proportions now too :D ;)

20. Scuderia980

Scuderia980 F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2006
    Mountains--Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave S. V
    918 running in the low 6:40's is just an insane thought. track special Zonda R on slicks went 6:47. btw, did you spec metallic black? just saw that clip of black 918 on the road. looks fantastic. the Pebble Beach silver example is still my fave but it does look ace in black. I'll be getting my car (1/8 scale model :) in high gloss bare carbon.

as for P1, one day the stars will align perfectly, the conditions optimal, and the track setting free of curbing/rumble strips...and then we'll finally get something that Mac will be happy with, as it would then be a 'fair' reflection of their car. Jeebers, it's getting tiresome.

21. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    If I had a deposit down for a P1 I would be surely asking a few questions to the factory by now.

22. boyko23

boyko23 Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2014
    Peloton,
    Where are you? Curious for the excuses now?
    :)

23. qwertstnbir

qwertstnbir Formula 3

Jul 14, 2013
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W43-E8zc6lQ]EXCLUSIVE: Koenigsegg One:1 Sneak Preview at Geneva 2014 - YouTube[/ame]

24. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Where is this?