car design thread | Page 33 | FerrariChat

car design thread

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by jm2, Oct 19, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    No we changed that. Too much front overhang on the road is a huge pain.

2. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
    Apart from that cars just plain look better with short overhangs. There's something quite clumsy about long overhangs.

3. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  4. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
  5. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    I find the nose and hood area surfacing very nice. The center of the car seems to be generic and only a conduit to get to the other end. I do not understand the vents behind the rear wheels. Maseratis were pretty cars while Ferraris were a bit more purposeful. Seems like Maserati can't quite determine which aesthetic language they most want.

John: Any of your connections in Geneva and giving first hand reports?

6. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    yes,Kuni Ito is there with the new provost Shochan Choi. Kuni if you recall worked at Opel for many years and now is a Professor at CCS.

7. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Remember Kuni well. He was a couple semesters in front of me.

Don't know Shochan Choi. What is his background.

Anything they are reporting from Geneva on good, bad and especially what is good in the flesh but not being recognized in the photos?

Jeff

8. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    #808 jm2, Mar 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    That is nice. Just noticed that the caliper and the spokes are the same color; even better.

10. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    #810 jm2, Mar 4, 2014
  11. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    sorry spelled his name wrong :(

Sooshin Choi Named Provost of CCS

Soochin ChoiThe College for Creative Studies has appointed Sooshin Choi Provost & Vice President for Academic Affairs and Professor of Design. An internationally renowned educator and design professional, Choi joins CCS from the University of Cincinnati where he has been Director of the School of Design since 2010 and Professor of Industrial Design since 2003.

As Provost of CCS, Choi will be the chief academic officer of the College, responsible for providing vision and leadership for all matters related to academic operations, including oversight of faculty and curricula. The Provost plays a key role in the College’s strategic planning, budgeting, enrollment management, technology planning and resource development. He also serves as a spokesperson for the College and advocate for the value of art and design to society.

“CCS has grown from a very strong foundation of arts and crafts and design, with really strong connections to industry and community,” said Choi. “So, if CCS is a tree, it is a big tree with very strong roots. I would like to help grow the school’s national and international reputation and help bring all of the programs to the next level so that CCS can be seen as the best art and design school in the world. That’s my dream.”

Choi’s design experience spans multiple industries and nearly three decades. For 18 years, he worked as an automotive designer for Korean manufacturers GM: Daewoo Motors and Kia Motors where he designed passenger cars, vans, trucks, buses and minivans. Many of his later car designs, developed for Korean, European and US markets, can still be seen on the road: the sub-compact Kia Sephia; the first and second generations of the Kia Sedona; and the Kia Sportage, one of the world’s first sport utility vehicles.

At Fursys and Iloom, Choi led teams of designers and engineers to develop furniture for offices and public spaces. As the first director of industrial design at DEKA Research and Development, he oversaw the next generation of such innovative products as the iBOT Mobility System, a powered wheelchair with integrated features not found in other motorized chairs.

Choi’s designs have received numerous accolades, including iF Hannover Product Design and Ecology Design Awards, Japanese G-Mark and the Grand Prize of Korean Industrial Design Award. He holds 47 design patents and three utility patents for his automotive and furniture designs.

As a designer, administrator and teacher, Choi embraces innovation and inclusion, and publishes widely on these topics. “I love teaching. My philosophy is that I'm not just teaching art and design. I'm designing future designers and artists — the best creative professionals that our society needs,” Choi explained.

He designed future creative professionals for a decade at the University of Cincinnati’s highly regarded School of Design, teaching industrial design studios, theory of industrial design and a universal design seminar. He established Designnovation Studio, which allows students from diverse disciplines and various levels to work on innovative projects with industry partners. Choi also conducted design research in collaboration with major corporations, such as P&G, LG Electronics, Samsung Electronics, Hyundai Motors, Boeing, GE Appliances, Crown Equipment and Mead Westvaco.

“I’m delighted that Sooshin Choi will be joining the College for Creative Studies. I can’t imagine a person better suited for the role of Provost than Sooshin,” said Richard L. Rogers, president of CCS. “He has all the attributes for which we were searching: a distinguished record and global reputation as an educator, academic leader and creative professional; broad international contacts in higher education and industry; success in forming educational partnerships; the ability to inspire and motivate; and, above all, a passion to serve students, support faculty and encourage innovation.

“He will be a caring steward of the College’s academic programs, a strong advocate for the College, and a great partner as we sustain and enhance CCS’s mission of excellence in creative education, community engagement and economic development.”

Sooshin Choi holds a BS in Industrial Design from Seoul National University of Science and Technology and an MFA in Industrial Design from Hong-Ik University. He also holds a Diploma in Vehicle Design from the Royal College of Art in London and studied at The Ohio State University. He and his wife Hyunsim have a son, Michael, who is in high school.

Choi serves the design community in various capacities; he is a member of the Korea Industrial Designers Association (KIDA), US director of Korea Society of Design Sciences (KSDS), and founder and moderator of Korean Designers in America.

In 2011, Choi was elected Vice President for Education of the Industrial Designers Society of America (IDSA). In this role, he leads the education council in their efforts to develop and support the highest levels of undergraduate and graduate education. Choi oversees the content review, development and management of IDSA publications and events for the industrial design education community. He also promotes IDSA membership among industrial design educators and students.

Serving IDSA as the Education Vice President allows Choi to see the entire horizon of design education in the US and its future opportunities. As an educator with experiences from Asia and Europe, his biggest goal as the Education VP has been to help US design education gain its competitive edge.

As Provost, Choi succeeds the late Imre Molnar, who died last December. His appointment begins January 1, 2014.

The search for Provost was conducted by Paul Hsun-Ling Chou, Co-Managing Director, Global Education Practice, Korn/Ferry International. He worked with input from a search committee chaired by Rogers and composed primarily of faculty from CCS’s academic departments.

12. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    #812 jm2, Mar 4, 2014
  13. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave

Subaru frustrates me to no end. Their concept cars look incredible but very little of that ends up in their production cars.

14. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    The Masi looks nice, though it looks like they built it directly on a donor Aston, and front end inspired by the Pininfarina 2euettottanta!

I at first thought that Subi was a Volvo concept?

15. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    I thought the same about the Subaru......but resembling a Volvo these days ain't all bad IMHO

16. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  17. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
  18. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Who MADE those choices? Not one of them cuts it for me.
    Particularly disappointed in the Audi electronics interface design.

Must have been an 'off' year @ Geneva.

19. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    #819 NeuroBeaker, Mar 6, 2014
    Will the Mercedes S-class Coupe be competing against the likes of the BMW Pininfarina Gran Lusso Coupe? The Mercedes looks oddly smoothed off at the rear and grotesque at the front - not a fan at all. The BMW looks far more cohesive.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncTdCl3hlSA]BMW Pininfarina Gran Lusso Coupé - YouTube[/ame]

Or will BMW not put that car into production? I hope it signifies a new design direction for BMW as I really don't like all the flame surface-type stuff they do these days. :eek:

Not very enthusiastic about the 4-series Gran Coupe. How is that any different from a 3-series saloon? :confused: BMW are bringing out so many different model lines that I just don't care any more, and I used to really like BMW. :(

All the best,
    Andrew.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    actually,i like both the Bimmer & the Benz Coupe.
    both cars are moving their respective design/form vocabularies forward without clinging to their "retro/past" too much...which is a difficult trick to pull off effectively
    they both do a good job of looking like their brand,look new,shake things up a bit without coming off the rails
    i give high marks to both

21. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    #821 jm2, Mar 6, 2014
    had to laugh when i read your comment,in that i thought i was the only one that felt that way
    it has such an odd proportion,then they paint all the lower black which looks like the whole vehicle is wearing "high waters"

22. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Car & Driver made the list
    some were odd choices,other significant cars didn't make their list....

23. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    #823 jm2, Mar 7, 2014
    had a workshop today for High School students interested in the "car design" profession
    a Junior was giving a sketch demo for the students

24. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner
    I don't really understand what they're were going for with those Maser wheels, -
    did someone bring his knitting to work and forget to take the blue ball home...
    what's the technical merit?
    do they make a really cool exhaust-y sound at speed??

when I saw the front, the first thing I thought of was one of the malevolent sharks from Nemo...

25. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    you are absolutely correct....however,remember showcars/concepts exist to entertain,provoke,explore new design trends,showcase new technology,etc.
    the wheel is indeed wacky....who needs motorcycle spokes in a cast aluminum wheel :D
    but it's entertaining,to say the least
    look at the base wheels on the new Cal T then look at these
    which is more entertaining? function is less important when you're trying to grab people's attention
    i can imagine the engineer's reactions when they saw what the design team cooked up with these....
    the designers probably told them to lighten up a bit guys...it's only a concept wheel,no worries