Performance at ALL costs? | FerrariChat

Performance at ALL costs?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by enjoythemusic, Mar 1, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Performance or Driving Enjoyment?

1. Performance Above All

2. More Enjoyable Driving Experience

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    For me, life is about balance.

Would you opt for a car with amazing performance, yet was a bear to drive?

Or would you sacrifice some performance for a more enjoyable driving experience?

2. formula1joe

formula1joe Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe Bennett
    Of course the driving experiance. My daily driver is faster then my 308, but the 308 is alot more fun to drive.

3. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    Something of a trick question to me....the added performance is what MAKES the driving experience more enjoyable. Other than climate control and mechanical/electrical reliability issues, there wouldn't be much to consider.

4. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    I think this is a loaded question. You don't have to compromise either. However, you do have to balance on cost and desire. The biggest performance variable is, after all, the driver. :)

5. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    I agree that its a bit loaded as worded. However, I think we know what is meant... its admitedly hard to word right.

Even if I limit myself to track days, my answer is still the same. I'm not trying to "win the race"... its not a race. I'm trying to have a blast. And here's what goes into that:

• Improving my driving skill (and thus track times).
    • Lots of G-forces (in all four directions).
    • The feel of driving the tires+car right on the edge.
    • The sound of a Ferrari engine screaming under maximum load.
    • Speed and the need for quickness, alertness, and precision.

A car that can turn faster laps isn't necessarily more fun... it'll win by a minor amount in G-forces and speed... but if it does it via 4WD that deadens the feel of the tires at the limit, then that can be an overall loss to the experience. Further, over time, the more you feel at one with the car, the more you can feel the road and the weight shift and the balance, the more you will improve. And for all us non-pro-drivers, driver skill will end up dominating laptimes far more that absolute car performance.

IOW, just because car A is faster than car F in the hands of a Schumacher, does NOT mean it will be faster in my hands. Soooo, it could be that a lower-performing Ferrari might actually win in all the categories above... when driven by me.

And all that is just when talking exclusively about track time... there's so much more to fun with a sportscar than that. And absolute performance, when talking about F-car performance or better, is essentially irrelevant driving on mountain roads or coastline-tracing highways or backwoods treks... there its all about the feel of the road, the feel of the car, the sound of the car, and so on.

Perhaps the poll should be like this: "What's more important to you?"
    • Knowing you could beat the other cars around you in stoplight race?
    • Knowing you could beat the other cars on the track, if you went?
    • Posting faster times or passing people?
    • The feel of the road when driving the car at your or the car's limit?

That also has some weaknesses... the question is about car selection.

JMHO.

6. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Steve, are we talking about cars or your avatar? I'm finding it difficult to concentrate on the question at hand. I think more pics are necessary in our latest bikini thread. Or you can e-mail them, I won't tell. LOL.

Sunny

7. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I like the experiance....I sold a far faster NSX NA2 only a few months after I bought my 328 because it boring then.

8. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    JagXJ6 and Auraraptor,

Jag: bad Jag bad bad. Dominatrix Denise KNOWS where you live! ;)

Auraraptor: Drove my friend's NSX and fully agree. Though it is a Euro 308GTS here.

Enjoy THE DRIVE,

Steven R. Rochlin

9. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    when you have enjoyable avatars such as Steven's, you always go for the " more enjoyable experience".

10. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Arent both questions the same thing?