Anyone replace the center pipe coolant hose before? | FerrariChat

Anyone replace the center pipe coolant hose before?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by MvT, Mar 10, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    #1 MvT, Mar 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Herman Ronald likes this.
  2. mulo rampante

mulo rampante Formula Junior

May 31, 2011
    Terra Incognita
    Full Name:
    Charles
    The hoses are each a single piece. I think that gap shown in the middle of the hoses in the parts book drawing is to show that they are longer in real life. If they were shown to scale, the drawing would be needlessly wide.

Birdman put silicone hoses in my car when he owned it. They are still performing perfectly 7 years on, and they should be good for many more years.

Thread is here (lots of imperial measurements because the work was done in USA :) ): http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/308-328/154843-silicone-hoses-cooling-system.html

3. jh355

jh355 Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2004
    Halluci-Nation
    Full Name:
    Craven Morehead
    Car’s still in the air after having all the coolant hoses replaced, including the two in the tunnel. They are 61” long, and are one piece each. 35mm or 1-1/2” blue silicone is what I used, silicone is unnecessary because the hoses will never get hot enough to need the higher temp rating, but they are easier to install because they are more pliable, and should last longer (although can't complain about 30 years on the first set). If you’re doing the whole car, you’ll need another 24” of 1-1/2” hose. Replace the clamps using the better European style; you’ll need 20 of them. Make sure you mark where the aluminum tubes go, and their orientation. It took me nearly a day to remove all the hoses including the access panels and various bits. If you swab a little gasgacinch gasket sealer on the inside of the tubes, it makes installation easier and they will seal better. You do not want to go in their twice.

4. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Thanks Charles and Craven! Very usefull. I'm going to order a 122” (310cm) long hose of 35mm and replace them both while I am in there anyway.

5. bova

bova Rookie

May 17, 2013
    You Might detailing the steps to change the hoses ?

Mine is 22 years old and must do, it is very laborious ?

It is to make the deposit ?

Thank you.

6. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    yes bova, I can post the whole process when I am done. My intention is to start this in 2 weeks.

7. bova

bova Rookie

May 17, 2013

Thanks.

8. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Hey MvT, do a build thread please...;-)
    I'll trade you for a camshaft oil seal and valve clearance overhaul video ha ha

9. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    haha I need a camera wingman for this job ;) but I sure will capture it however not with a phone. I first need to get a good "long" hose. The regular priced ones are all to short!

10. docmirror

docmirror Formula Junior

May 6, 2004
    Ft Worth TX
    I have done this job on my 83 cab.

You will get very messy, you will get angry, frustrated, and your back, shoulders and arms will hurt for days after.

1. Don't get the car up too high. If you have a lift and can work standing that's best, if you are on jacks don't make it too high so that the pipes are way up.
    2. Drain the radiator, and then cut the hoses off at the front to drain.
    3. Get a jug of vaseline or other petroleum jelly, and coat the new hose liberally then let it sit for a while.
    4. Use two pair of vise grip pliers in back, with a 2" long stub piece of exhaust pipe that will go over the old hose and clamp the vise grips to the old hose, and the exhaust sleeve.
    5. Cut a small hole in the front section of hose then tie a long piece of rope to the front of the old hose before withdrawing it. This will pull the rope with the hose as it comes out.
    6. Pull with two people on the vise grip. Depending on how corroded it is, you may need more rope on the vise grip to have a helper pull from the rear of the car. Eventually it will come out. Leave the long rope in place in the tunnel, disconnect from old hose.
    7. Clean all the road grit out of the tunnel.
    8. Drill two holes in the front of the new hose, and tie the rope from inside the tunnel to the hose so you can draw it through. The hose should have extra length so you can cut off the section with the holes later.
    9. More vaseline on the hose. Don't be shy with it.
    10. Have helper draw hose from the front using the rope, as you push from the back and guide it straight.
    11. Once in place, cut off the end where the rope holes are, and fit to the two pipes at front and back with new clamps.

11. bartzagato

bartzagato Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bart
    Tijn

Find a dealer in Hydraulic hoses. Try big Agricultural garages; if they don't have it, they can order it.

Most likely on saturday, I'll be heading with my grocery list to the shop in my neighbourhood. (dammit: just called them: need to order - so ordered 5m)

I you can't find any - let me know. I get some extra for you and we'll advance our meeting.

12. caterus

caterus Karting

Dec 24, 2010
    Oxfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #12 caterus, Mar 13, 2014
    MvT,
    I have recently replaced all the coolant hoses on my 1986 3.2 Coupe with silicone hose. I took advantage of the fact that the car was on a lift with the engine out so access wasn't too difficult. Based on this experience you may find the following points helpful.

1. FChat'ers have reported using coolant hose of internal diameter ranging from 38mm to 41mm. This may reflect different Mondial variants but I have never seen anybody using 35mm hose as you seem to plan to use. In my case the old (original?) hose was 41mm internal diameter and this matched the external diameter of the coolant down pipes. I would advise you measure the required diameter carefully before ordering.

2. I understand that the quality of silicone hose varies considerably and there is some cheap poor quality stuff on the market. After a fair bit of research I used hose from 'HoseWorld' reference BSR-41 (see BLUE COLOUR straight silicone hose 3 metre). This hose is 41mm (1 5/8") internal diameter, 50mm external diameter and 6bar burst pressure. The hose uses three reinforcing bands within the hose and is sold in lengths up to 3mtrs. I purchased two 2mt lengths for £104 and this was just sufficient to replace all the coolant hoses. I think the price may be slightly higher now.

3. The length of each of the two central single piece hoses are 156cm. I measured this carefully on the old hose once extracted and cut the silicone hose before pushing it into the central tunnel. If the hose is cut to length in situ it would be difficult to get a clean cut without jagged edges.

4. I found the old EPDM hose in remarkably good shape. I think it was original; it is labelled SAIAG-5F TRM-150. The Ferrari price for this hose is just ridiculous.

5. I found there was some corrosion, but not much, in both the central tunnels. I cleaned this up as best I could and injected a fair quantity of waxoyl into the tunnels (silicone spray has also been recommended). After taping up the ends of the hoses there was no problem in pushing the new silicone hose through the tunnels from the rear.

6. I found the hose clips were Norma stainless steel size 32-50mm. I suspect these were original and once cleaned up were in good shape so I have reused them. Norma clips have rounded edges to avoid cutting into the hose.

7. With the central hoses out it is easy to remove the aluminium return pipe connecting to the radiator. I followed an old Fchat recommendation and had welded in a drain valve into this pipe to assist future replacement of the coolant. See attached picture.

I hope you find these comments helpful and best of luck with the replacement.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. docmirror

docmirror Formula Junior

May 6, 2004
    Ft Worth TX
    That drain cock looks quite nice. Would have saved getting fluid all over me last time.

14. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    docmirror, Tim! Good info guys!
    35mm is what I read somewhere, but I always measure the diameter of the aluminum tubes to what I need :) I really like this drain, but I think I will place a seperate socket with a drain.

I will let you guys know how it goes and at the same time make footage. I know for sure this will be a bit messy with over 20ltrs of coolant. Pitty is that I replace the collant not so long ago. Good thing is now that I can take all out :)

Cheers guys!

15. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Great info Caterus and thanks for the link, I've saved it to my contacts.
    MvT I think you might need to invest in a small phone tripod for this one matey :)

16. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    #16 MvT, Mar 17, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
    I found a Hydraulic shop 4km away that can deliver 10meter hoses :) I will pick it up tomorrow. Thanks for the offer Bart! Appreciated!

I think.. I will go for a nice film crew for this one :)

17. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    ETA of new center pipes Friday :( Supplier stopped custom lenghts.

Got new suppliers and ordered two times 1,6m. 40mm diameter.
    28 euro (40 USD) each :D

18. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I had to do this job on a customers mondial. He decided to install a stereo and a few other items in his car on a weekend.

He decided to use drywall screws with home made clamps to secure the large battery cable for the amp he placed in the back seat. He ran the cable under the center console, and screwed right into the hose. D'oh!!

19. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    I replaced mine. I ran a string through the tunnel and pulled rag soaked with silicone spray thorough it. Then I wiped down the new hose with the same rag sprayed with silicone and it slid in very nicely. I tried to install it dry first, only got it installed a short distance and it got stuck. For the record, the hoses I pulled out were in very good shape. Except at the ends they are well protected from the elements.

20. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    That's not very clever indeed. It's like taping a leak hose with electrical tape and hope that it will stay good :p

That's a genius idea! I thought of lubing the hose already with silicon spray but not the tunnels. Were the old ones easy to remove? Did you pull it out from the front or back?

21. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    #21 PV Dirk, Mar 29, 2014
    I pulled from the rear. I was nervous at first so I connected a string to the old hose so it would be in the tunnel when I was done. I found out though that it wasn't a big deal. I used a tape measure to reinstall the string. Just tied string to tape measure and extend tape through tunnel. The tunnel is broken into two compartments, one for each tube.

I cut off the end of the hose at the front of the car so there was no bulged end to squeeze through. My hoses would have been reusable if I had not cut the ends off. Oh well, I had the new ones already.

This picture is likely of little help, but I have it.

22. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Pics are always nice! Thanks PV Dirk for the pre-info!

23. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    #23 MvT, Apr 24, 2014
    ok finally I got them! It was quite horrible to get these for my supplier. 2 companies that normally deliver to them were out of business. These come from Belgium they mentioned. Might as well be around the corner where you could get them Bart! ;)

Inside diameter is 40mm, however I can see these are a bit thinner then the original.. that might benefit to get them through the tunnel.

40 USD before VAT per hose.

24. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Coolant Hose Replacements

You are all, each and everyone of you, entitled to honorifics far beyond my meager authority to construe. God Save The Queen!

25. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Hello Dirk,

Do you remember what size hose that you used?