PlateClip v2s needed | FerrariChat

PlateClip v2s needed

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Exotic_Car_Guy, Mar 8, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Exotic_Car_Guy

Exotic_Car_Guy Karting

Apr 2, 2003
    California, Carmel
    Full Name:
    Gil Lucero
    Does anyone have a PlateClip v2s license plate holder they would like to sell? I'm looking for one for my California.

Gil

2. Randy R

Randy R Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 23, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    '14 Cal 30 TDF/Tan
    I would like one also for my California...

Thanks,
    Randy...

3. deppi0

deppi0 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Edmondo
    I will ask my dealer if he kept my old one and let you know

4. Randy R

Randy R Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 23, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    '14 Cal 30 TDF/Tan
    No need. I found a better one that mounts to the front tow hook bolt hole. Seems sturdier and less complex than the clip on holder. The owner delivered it to me in person within just a few hours of sending him an email (we live a few miles apart - who knew?).

Dynamic Technology Group

5. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011

I used this one as well and it was sturdy and inexpensive around $50 usd. It did not fit my 458 spider so i ordered a model specific one. Unfortunately, in order to not obstruct my Laser Interceptors, the plate must stick out laterally at an unsightly degree so I just go front plate free. I suppose I will make use of it one day a year when I go for my safety check. I did not have laser jammers on the Cali so I had the plate oriented more centrally in a more aesthetically pleasing manner. Wish I could procure a set of the chair pilots for my spider. Unfortunately no longer for sale.

6. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #6 4th_gear, Mar 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The one on my car is screwed into the underside of the front splitter. I Like that better because it actually sits slightly below the air dam and acts like an early warning device as I inch the car forward on a parking spot. It's quite rugged because I've already pulled it over the curb a few times and it's still in one piece.

It looks decent too. My dealer supplied it free of charge so maybe yours will know about it too. AFAIK, Canadian and US plates are pretty much the same dimensions.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011

That looks acceptable. Does one need to drill any holes into the bumper? My dealer said no one driving fcars uses front plates so why should I. My tow hook plate on the Cali was pretty much a running joke at the dealership.

8. deppi0

deppi0 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Edmondo
    I also have a few of the tow hooks ones for the California (I sold) and for a couple of others. It is pretty good but imho it doesn't look good as it is on the side of the grille. I would use it purely to go through checks or if I had to drive to a country that could impound a car with no front plate.

I think the plate clips are the best solution for someone who wants to be able to remove the front plate pretty often. You can mount the plate either high up or low down on their support based on looks, preference, etc...

I think that if you want a mounting plate that you will just use all the time just have the Ferrari made one which is plastic, is attached at the bottom of the spoiler (drilled) and that's that. It is the norm in Europe as 99% of cars have them.

The last solution, which is what I do mostly in London, is to keep it in the car and to put it under the windshield when needed...Is that acceptable in the US?

9. Randy R

Randy R Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 23, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    '14 Cal 30 TDF/Tan
    To clarify, my goal was a removable front plate mount, to be installed only in those areas where parked cars without front plates are cited. The tow hook mount seems pretty easy to screw on/off when needed, with no fear of mixing metal and plastic. And if I forget it is mounted and drive away, it seems sturdy enough to not fall off or break.

10. deppi0

deppi0 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Edmondo
    Totally agree then with your approach. Makes sense if that's when you are really going to use it.

11. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    Re placing the plate on the front dash behind the windshield: It is illegal in most (if not all) states in the US to have the license plate anywhere other than where you see the brackets and holes built into, or added onto, the exterior of the car. They're pretty tight on how low or high it can be, and that it be "affixed" to the vehicle.

The only exceptions to the normal rules are for large trucks, which can have their primary plate on the front (since trailers cover the rear of the vehicle), and there is a grey area for motorcycles, which can mount a plate vertically in some states as long as it is readable (with camera enforcement, though, this is also probably not allowed in most states).

12. Exotic_Car_Guy

Exotic_Car_Guy Karting

Apr 2, 2003
    California, Carmel
    Full Name:
    Gil Lucero
    I'm still interested in a PlateClip if anyone has one for sale.

Gil

13. deppi0

deppi0 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Edmondo
    I will let you know what I hear. I should know more at the end of the week or early next week

14. Peter P

Peter P Karting

Dec 22, 2011
    Boston area
    I keep a tow hook mount with the plate attached in the trunk and intend to state (if and when pulled over or cited for missing plate), that the mount would not stay level i.e. was rotating on me, and that I had to remove it until the dealer provides a fix...hoping for a somewhat sympathetic officer?! But just a warning -- I put the tow hook plate on for inspection recently in MA, and had to disable the bumper sensors due to incessant beaping, but then nearly hit the front spoiler on a curb expecting to hear a beap warning that I never got. If I get cited one or two times, I'll pay the modest fine (it's not supposed to be a moving violation/points), and drill the front bumper and mount in the center, similar to that which is pictured by 4th Gear. That looks fine to me if I have to have a front plate. The screw inserts can be body colored, so at worst you have two small holes in the front bumper, not much worse than the sensor covers already on the bumpers in my opinion.

15. Peter P

Peter P Karting

Dec 22, 2011
    Boston area
    Looks fine to me, if one has to have a front plate! BTW, what color is your car? It looks like a silver with a green/gray hue? Love it if so! Or is it just my monitor...

16. deppi0

deppi0 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Edmondo
    #16 deppi0, Mar 11, 2014
    This is how the dealer installed plate arrived (before I removed it)

The plastic bracket is drilled in the black plastic part of the bumper which is only visible if you lie down under the car. So if you don't mind having the front plate on all the time this imho is the best solution that won't leave any visible holes or marks in your bumper.

17. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #17 4th_gear, Mar 11, 2014
    Peter, this is what it looks like behind the license plate.

The screws fasten onto the splitter from below and you can't see them. The attachment is very strong because I've already scraped the license plate over several curbs and bent over the license plate holder which is made of steel …and everything's still in one piece, with the plate holder just slightly bent and no damage at all to the splitter.

I wasn't able to bend back the whole thing to fully vertical because steel has a bit of springiness to it and I would have to bend it past vertical to get it to sit at 90°. If you look half-way up the plate holder there is a small rubberized bumper that the dealer stuck onto the bumper to cushion an L-shaped separator that keeps the license plate holder away from the bumper.

European license plates tend to be very long compared to N. American plates so the one I have is a lot less prominent. There is no legal wriggle room for not displaying a front license in Ontario.

And yes it's just your monitor (and my photo-editing), my car is actually (very similar to deppi0's), plain-old-Bianco-Avus-over-Cuoio+black-grill but it's perfect for me and I love it. :D

18. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    Sorry, Michael, I'd submit there is no plain-old anything on the California lol. Thanks for the photo and info, though. I use a plateclip, but am always concerned someone will liberate the plate from my car when its parked. I struggle between ruining the look and complying with the law...

19. KenTO

KenTO Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2009
    Toronto
    I don't have a front plate on my car, but I do keep it in the truck, no problems so far.

20. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Well, I guess I'm just too lazy to bother. The car looks OK with the plate and I enjoy blasting around in it, so that's enough for me …but I'm more finicky about my hair. :D