Tinting my 550, NH Carbon 18% vs 35% | FerrariChat

Tinting my 550, NH Carbon 18% vs 35%

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by PRS Guitarist, Mar 9, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PRS Guitarist

PRS Guitarist Formula Junior

Oct 13, 2013
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I am tinting my 550 next week and have some questions about the tint % and material. Has anyone used the Nano Hybrid Carbon? I am looking for heat reduction (saving the dashboard) as well as U.V. protection to help things from fading. I live in the Peoples Republic of Maryland and the tint law is 35% but the shop offers 18% as well. I am considering having the back and side windows tinted 18% and the driver/passenger and windshield done in 35%. Or I can just do 18% all the way around and take my chances. I would also love to see pics of cars with 35% and 18% tint for comparison.
    What say ye gentlemen?

2. Kevin2772

Kevin2772 Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2006
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    A couple things. For 1, i dont know how stringent the police are on tint around there. In ohio, I honestly believe it depends what you drive. If the car looks suspicious or like it could house some hooligans, then they more then likely will give you hell. My last 2 Audis have been 20 (might have been 18%) on all sides and i do 35% on the rear (to aid in backing up at night). On my latest car i actually had them do 50% on my front windshield to really complete the look. The 50% on the windshield is almost unnoticable except that its hard to see me in the drivers seat when you are looking through the front. It does not make it any harder for me to see out

For a 550, i would think the police arent going to be TOO crazy over a dark tint. I personally would avoid the 35/50 on windows that are side by side like you mentioned with the car. The UV films do work great at dicipating heat and since that is your main concern I would say thats a good route to go. Also interior and exterior colors will affect how dark your tint looks.

3. Matt@DD

Matt@DD Karting

Jul 18, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Matt Zakarian
    Just have the 3M Crystalline tint installed. The heat rejection is outstanding even with a light tint gradient of up to 70% VLT. It has a SPF rating of over 1600. If you want to get technical, here is a link to an article I wrote about the film while researching it:

Window Tinting - Detailing Dynamics

Matt

4. Dr.B

Dr.B Karting

Sep 8, 2013
    Bullhead City AZ.
    Full Name:
    Philip
    #4 Dr.B, Mar 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I would recommend not going to dark on the side windows for me it makes it very hard to see out of at night. Check with your installer and go dark as possible everywhere else up to the legal limit they should know what it is in your state. There also is a clear film for the front window which keeps out uv rays and keeps out a lot of heat. I put it on my 360 and it's amazing. Keep in mind I live in Arizona where it can reach 120 degrees and my car stays cool even in that heat with it. I can trembler the name of the product but I will find it out if you send me a PM.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. PRS Guitarist

PRS Guitarist Formula Junior

Oct 13, 2013
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Bob