CarFix TV Show with a 355 Spider | FerrariChat

CarFix TV Show with a 355 Spider

Discussion in '348/355' started by Need4Spd, Mar 15, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Did anyone catch this episode? It ran this morning. They did a belt change service and replaced the headers with Fabspeed units.

2. Gregory_N_Roberts

Jan 23, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Full Name:
    Gregory Roberts
    missed it today, going to watch it tomorrow and DVR it as well

3. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    No link for this episode so we can watch online?

4. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    You didn't miss anything.

5. LmnsBlu355

LmnsBlu355 Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Jordan S.
    Simple belt swap. Locked the cam gears. Didn't check timing. Nothing to learn here.....

6. PaulW_968

PaulW_968 Karting

Jan 12, 2014
    Chicago Area
    That was a total joke. I would not recommend changing the belt the way they did it....was more like "it worked before, so it should still keep working if we don't check anything but leave it as-is."

7. pnicholasen

pnicholasen Formula 3

Jan 14, 2011
    South of Philly
    Full Name:
    Paul Nicholasen
    Reminded me of a cooking show where the ingredients are already prepped and measured and the chef just chucks it together in a bowl and makes it look easy. It's certainly easier to drop a Ferrari engine when everything is pre-unbolted and all you do is reach in and pull parts out. Nice lookin' Fabspeed exhaust though!

8. MVDESQ

MVDESQ Formula 3

Nov 25, 2010
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew & Kristen V.
    Made it look way too easy compared to nice shops that have lots of photos of real jobs like that. Then again when you have a 1/2 hour show with 10 minutes of commercials and 1-2 minutes of on screen ads, what could they really show. Even the driving scenes were terrible as the 355 is a great sounding car and it did not even sound so great. I dvr'd it and was not so impressed.

9. CRUSING

CRUSING Karting

Oct 31, 2002
    Jupiter, FL
    That made doing a service look easy! If I didn't know any better I'd feel like an idiot paying a shop to do a service.

10. Gregory_N_Roberts

Jan 23, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Full Name:
    Gregory Roberts
    totally unimpressed - it starts out with the older guy saying 'I don't know nuttin about these cars' - yeah, that really instills some confidence in the rest of everything else he has to say

11. since-15

since-15 Formula 3

Nov 26, 2008
    Clearly you didn't stick around to hear him say he called Wayne Carini and that they were instructed by local Ferrari dealer. The power of editing made it look easy.

12. ferrarisun

ferrarisun Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2011
    And we all thought it took a LOT longer than just 30 minutes to do the belt change! Next weeks episode.... how to over haul your in engine in only 30 minutes!

13. mike_747

mike_747 Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2008
    Seattle
    then there was the major service kit they bought - probably from Ricambi. All they used was the belts and tensioner bearings. Of course the owner can keep all the other stuff for next time when he has a "real" major service done. Plus at the beginning they said the 355 was built from 1994 -99 Wrong, 1995-99 as we all know.
    Wonder how many bolts they had left when they were done:)

14. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    Actually, that is correct. The cars were built from 1994 to 1999. Not sure if there is a 94 but some 95s were built in 94

15. mike_747

mike_747 Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2008
    Seattle
    Actually I meant model years not actually "built" years. Picking nits here but you are right most likely.
    the final insult came when I saw he was going to put a stray dog in the car. God knows what was on it's paws. At least there was a cover on the seat.

16. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    Lol, I really want to see it now...

17. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Actually, the logic was perfectly sound. If the engine has no oil leaks and is used regularly, there's zero reason to replace the seals. They replaced the belts and tensioner bearings and left well enough alone on the seals, which is exactly what I would have done, especially if the seals were done at the previous service. I would have probably replaced the water pump while in there, though.

18. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Agree 100%. Owners get duped into pulling the cams and new seals and.....just 'cause. I've seen my share of cases where old but good seals are replaced with new ones only to have the new one start leaking in a few 100 miles. And there is nothing wrong with replacing the belts as they did. If the timing was on it will stay on. That's pretty much the way we do it on a 308. Also would like to point out that the seals on my 85 QV were replaced for the first time in 2010. That's 25 years. And they were replaced then only because there was a little oil in the rear bank distributor cap.

And why replace the cam seals and not the main seals? How about the seals on the cam drive bearing? Water pump? I don't know. I have 30k miles on the original water pump in my 308. Granted, there is no engine drop for a 308 QV water pump but it is still a pain. I've always been in the if it ain't broke don't fix it.

But like I said, if you didn't see it you didn't miss anything.

19. blue90

blue90 Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2013
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Watching the show recorded on dvr. All that work and no rear fender covers? You might think when leaning over the rear engine compartment all types of scratches can occur. It looks so easy you can just wear a tuxedo and no sweat.

20. Gregory_N_Roberts

Jan 23, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Full Name:
    Gregory Roberts

no - I watched the whole thing twice before I deleted it. I learned even less the second time around but was more interested in the physical arrangement of everything.

I would have been more impressed if they took the time to talk about everything that is normally replaced on an engine out service and the reasons why or why not, rather than just gloss over most of the stuff

what I learned was that $7000 for an engine out service is $6000 more than its worth

it as a nice try, but like the new series Cosmos, it was a swing and a miss

21. mike_747

mike_747 Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2008
    Seattle
    To do this topic justice, they should have stretched this service over 2-3 shows. Being limited to just one half hour show is like have open heart surgery condensed to 10 minutes.

22. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    That would be fine if the only people who watch the show were F355 owners. But I'd bet most watchers are muscle car or truck owners with little or no interest in Ferrari.

23. BenjaminB

BenjaminB Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2010
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Full Name:
    Benjamin
    Finally had a chance to import the show and upload it to YouTube in Full HD for your viewing pleasure...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tpw_YCqnLYU]Car Fix on Velocity Channel - Ferrari F355 F1 Spider - YouTube[/ame]

-Benjamin

24. Falcon Wing

Falcon Wing Formula 3

Aug 4, 2010
    Colorado Springs
    Thanks for taking the time to do that....I enjoyed it.

25. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Thanks Benjamin.