New F1 Cars Sound Like..... | Page 11 | FerrariChat

New F1 Cars Sound Like.....

Discussion in 'F1' started by sindo308qv, Mar 13, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mertini86

mertini86 Formula Junior

Oct 28, 2008
    Brussels / Istanbul
    Full Name:
    Mert Candarli
    +1

I dont think I will ever get used to the new sound unlike what Toto is saying where he promised that everyone will forget and get used to the new sounds in no time.

2. CRG125

CRG125 F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2005
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Full Name:
    Vivek
    Raced my 125 CC KART this weekend and I swear it sounds better then F1

3. 456rogers

456rogers Karting

Oct 29, 2013
    Idaho Springs CO
    My leaf blower

4. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    If that's for real, I need to get one of those for my 328. Just imagine - a Ferrari V-8 that sounds like a V-12 (and gets better gas mileage!).

5. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    You should never be able to hold a conversation at a race; that's part of the experience.
    Like going to see AC/DC with their amps unplugged....sorry Toto, this is an epic fail

6. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
  7. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Toto is crazy if he thinks that. F1 was been VERY loud for decades, and fans now expect it. It's probably part of the reason many people began following it. It's part of the draw. Why does he think people go to concerts? Sure, part of it is to see the band, but 90% of it is to HEAR them in all their glory.

8. jmuriz

jmuriz Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Sounds like a MotoGP engine to me...doesn't bother me at all.

9. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    It doesn't matter to most fans if the engines are relevant to street cars. People go for the show.

Who goes to the air shows and complains the f22 is too loud? People go to hear the fighter jets and be blown off their feet, not to see common passenger aircraft.

10. qwertstnbir

qwertstnbir Formula 3

Jul 14, 2013
    +1

11. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Completely agree. It's about the heart throbbing experience, not the nuts and bolts.

You go to a museum to see nuts and bolts. You go to a race to be blown away with what you saw and felt.

12. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Yes. Basically the issue we are experiencing is having one of our senses now deprived of enjoying the sport. Our sense of hearing was satisfied and now it is not. That is a huge loss in the experience.

13. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    The techno-fanboys say they sound just fine....

14. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
  15. keelaboosa

keelaboosa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2006
    San Marcos, CA
    Full Name:
    Andy
    I'll get flamed as a Pariah, but here goes.

What we're seeing is the response to the new rules (no surprise there). The cars are still scorchingly fast, stick like velcro, are more than a handful to control, and actually produced some very exciting racing. I don't even know where the DRS zone was on that track - it looked to hardly factor in at all.

It's exciting times in F1: a shakeup to the old guarde. This is the exact opposite of the old processional races we've seen for the last few years. Something new is coming and it's fun to watch it unfold.

The overhauled rules regarding the engines (sorry, Power Units™) seems to have harnessed that raw scream energy and turned it into power. My jaw dropped hearing these engines used in anger and the total discontinuity to how quickly they accelerate. These guys can still lay black strips from track out to brake point.

To me, F1 racing is about controlling it all out on the hairy edge and doing it better than everyone else. It's nothing to do with noise or stupid looking noses.

16. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    It has to do with our eyes and ears being pained by what they're witnessing.

17. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    OK, let's get this fact straight, right off the bat. Ferrari can't be separated from F1 racing. The appeal of F1 racing is directly-related to the appeal of Ferrari road cars.

They both need to communicate a sense of occasion, something quite out of the ordinary and something beyond the full comprehension/control of the observer/driver. In simple terms, a sense of awe. Without a sense of awe, an experience becomes routine because your brain has already tuned everything out. Like it or not, that's how your brain works. It's not really about pain, but pain does wake you (your brain) up, real good. Pain does contribute to a sense of occasion, because you know you're no longer in Kansas.

If being present at a sports event no longer overwhelms your senses, it becomes pedestrian, much less of an occasion. The frustration would be like watching sports events on your TV, with the volume turned way down or driving a Ferrari that sounds like a Camry. Removing the sound removes part of the novelty that you otherwise can't get everyday; you lose part of the occasion.

People watch F1 to get a sense of an occasion, the same reason why I bought a Ferrari… so I can experience a sense of the craziness that F1 events deliver, when I go for a drive in my car.

18. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark

Bravo! Nicely done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. CRG125

CRG125 F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2005
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Full Name:
    Vivek
  20. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
  21. Hakan458

Hakan458 Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Hakan
    More expensive than before, way less appeal than before.

Bad move for the sport. Sure the eco-friendliness is good, but not here!

22. Axecent

Axecent Formula 3

Oct 15, 2008
    Central Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    The Luddite is strong here....

23. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

Contrary to what some seem to believe, they didn't do it to appease the greenies. The engine manufacturers did it because they wanted to. They're the ones spending 100s of millions and they got it rubber stamped by the FIA. Sure, they sound like crap, but as I've said, hopefully Bernie will work some magic somehow.

While 100kg is awfully tight, they're truly pushing the envelope once again. The technology is incredibly complex and advanced, and they're still the fastest things out there. They still all have to manufacture their own cars and get paid paid based on the WCC, as it should he IMO. Customer cars is what would kill it for me.

As for limiting fuel flow, we've discussed this before - it's far and away the best way to force them to be efficient and fair to all without it turning into an economy run, as happened at Le Mans a few years back.

I well remember the glorious Matra 12, the Ferrari boxer and the v10s etc, but times change and it's what the manufacturers wanted, and again, they're the ones paying the bills. Without them F1 would really be in trouble.......

The death of F1 has been predicted since I've been following it in the early 60s. Talk about a broken record! ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

24. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Not so sure about that. Ferrari wanted more cylinders if I recall.

25. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    They definitely balked at the original I4 plan, but at least went along with the V6, possibly somewhat against their will, but as we know they still have veto power......

Cheers,
    Ian