F1 reservoir overflowing???? | FerrariChat

F1 reservoir overflowing????

Discussion in '360/430' started by ccalo, Mar 20, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ccalo

ccalo Karting

Aug 20, 2013
    CT us
    Full Name:
    Carmine Calo
    #1 ccalo, Mar 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    While changing our my exhaust I noticed that the f1 reservoir was leaking fluid. I removed the cap and noticed that the fluid had reach the very top of the canister. Prior to storing the car for winter I had the timing belt done by an authorized ferrari dealer and they top off all of the fluids. I also checked the f1 fluid prior to storing the car and it was withing acceptable range. I also did the yellow tach upgrade and I shut off the power via the truck switch several times. I was wondering if switching the power on and off would cause a recalibration problem with the f1 cpu? Have any of you experienced this and if so do you know what caused this? If it helps the f1 pump sounded normal when I opened the door and I did not start the car yet. Thanks for your help.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. DannyR

DannyR Karting

Apr 6, 2005
    Alabama
    Full Name:
    Danny Roberts
    When you open the car door the fluid should go down as it primes the pump.
    If it was filled with the door open it will inevitably be 'over filled' once everything is primed and the fluids level off.

3. ccalo

ccalo Karting

Aug 20, 2013
    CT us
    Full Name:
    Carmine Calo
    Should I remove the fluid?

4. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Until you figured out exactly what's going on, I would if I were you. Also mop up the mess the best you can. Even though the pump is behind a side panel, you don't want any stray fluid landing on a hot cat and cause a fire.

5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    That is normal when the F1 reserboir is overfilled. As she heats up, the fluid expands and is puked over the side. Except for being messy, will not cause any problems like overfilling the engine oil will.

6. BenchBoy

BenchBoy Karting

Mar 30, 2012
    Full Name:
    Gino
    Yap Taz is right this is overfill, do not follow the owner manual on F1 fluid. I know there a thread about this on how much to check and fill the F1 fluid

7. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    As said -- do not be a dipstick and use the dipstick. :) The correct level is 5mm above the screen in the bottom of the reservoir. Not sure if that is when the fluid is cold or warm -- someone chime in.
    Alan

8. London

London Karting

Aug 29, 2009
    London
    #8 London, Mar 21, 2014
  9. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Correct -- not sure you need the fancy pump -- a turkey baster with a plastic tube on the end would do. Still doesn't say check hot or cold though.
    Alan

10. mikelong

mikelong Karting

Dec 17, 2012
    When pressure inside the F1 system drop, fluid are push back to the Reservoir. Once the F1 system run/in-use/pressurize, then the fluid should drop.
    In my opinion that's overfilled, a bit too much(better then under filled, right?)....But yeah, clean up that mess, engine bay are hot and not a good combination any fluid leak that can ignite in flame.
    Good luck...

11. ccalo

ccalo Karting

Aug 20, 2013
    CT us
    Full Name:
    Carmine Calo
    Thanks for the responses guys I really appreciate it. I should have purchased a stick car

12. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    I fill mine to the line around the center of the canister. This also corresponds with the tip of the dip stick approx. At that level, all is well. A factory tech told me to fill to the first line from the tip of the dip stick. No need to regret the F1, just fill to the level I described and you're good.

13. mikelong

mikelong Karting

Dec 17, 2012
    +1 on that. Don't regret the F1...It is an awsome!!!(little bit unreliable thoug) system design and works the way you would not able to do with a "stick", if you have it on the track. Ferrari are race cars design and that's what the F1 system is for. Driving around town and with alot of up/down grade/hill, it will be a nightmare. Ferrari cars does not like stop and go traffic, it likes constant moving fast speed. Bring it out to the track or open road, do triple digits, with setting on "sport". Shift that sucker and you will appreciate the F1 system...You have to experience it to know what I am talking about. The feel and the way it function, you can't do it with a "stick", unless you are a professional racer that eat, sleep, and **** out at the track most of the day in the year. LOL.
    I didn't like the F1 system much when I first got it, but after getting to know the system and how it function, it's kinda cool...People still make fun of me when they check out my car, "why would you drive an automatic Ferrari" they say, I smile and walk away. I looked around and notice I was the only one driving a Ferrari with a crowd checking out the car...So how many of these people really know about Ferrari??? Too bad, I was the only one who gets to own one, drive one, and know one in that crowd...Hahahaha. :)

14. mikelong

mikelong Karting

Dec 17, 2012
    Oh, by the way...Does isn't Ferrari stop making stick after 04 or 05?
    I thought all 430 and whatever after that are F1?

15. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Mike- Nope, there were F430s, 612s, 599s, and even a few Californias with three pedals. Quite a few F430s, in fact, although I do not have any hard numbers.

There is a ledge in the F1 tank and that is the fill line the technical bulletin is designed to reach. On many F1 cars, Ferrari techs have broken off the old dipsticks because they are misleading. And no, overfilling slightly is not a good idea, as ccalo discovered. No harm caused, but ATF fluid, which is basically what F1 fluid is, makes a pretty good mess.

16. Teachdocs

Teachdocs Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2012
    Kansas City area
    Full Name:
    Chad

When checking the fluid level:
    Hot vs. cold?
    If cold, then system pressurized or depressurized?
    If cold and depressurized, then how long for the system to depressurize after opening a door (overnight)?

17. mikelong

mikelong Karting

Dec 17, 2012
    The Temp has very little to do with "pressurize and or depressurize"...How well the system hold pressure, how long the system can hold pressure, and how long does the pump runs when the pressure is depleted....its all depend on how well the system hold/maintain the pressure. This is when the Accumulator unit and the Pump unit comes in play.
    I didn't answere to clearly on the fluid level part in effect with temp...But hopefully that would answere "how long system pressurize/depressurize" vs temp.

18. ccalo

ccalo Karting

Aug 20, 2013
    CT us
    Full Name:
    Carmine Calo
    Is there a source or link that provides all of service bulletins from ferrari 360's? It appears that there are more bulletins out there than pages in the service manual. Did the engineers at ferrari do their research prior to production or what??

19. London

London Karting

Aug 29, 2009
    London
    #19 London, Mar 22, 2014
  20. London

London Karting

Aug 29, 2009
    London
    #20 London, Mar 22, 2014
  21. Teachdocs

Teachdocs Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2012
    Kansas City area
    Full Name:
    Chad

Actually the opposite effect:

To summarize, the correct procedure is a cold car, open the door and turn on the key to prime the pump. When the pump has pressurized, then adjust the fluid level to 5 mm +/- 1 mm above the screen. Don't use the dipstick.

If you do this with the door closed, key off, and the pump not primed, then you will overfill.

22. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Only on the F1 F355 is it necessary to use the key to pressurize the system with the F1 pump. On the rest, just opening the door will do it. The pump shuts off as soon as the system is happy with pressure.

23. London

London Karting

Aug 29, 2009
    London
    Uhmm... If you open the door, as you said the pump pressurises. However, if you then turn the key immediately after the pump will pressurise some more (at least in mine it does!) which makes me think that the door-opening triggers a priming but not a full pressurising maybe?

24. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Beats me. Whenever the pump actuates, by whatever means, she pumps up to operating pressure and does not cycle again until pressure drops below a threshhold around 800 psi. I would not expect the pump to cycle again when the igntion turns on unless there had been a considerable delay between opening the door and starting the engine.