599 Purchase Advise | FerrariChat

599 Purchase Advise

Discussion in '612/599' started by acfitz, Mar 21, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. acfitz

acfitz Rookie

Mar 21, 2014
    Hi Folks,
    I am considering the purchase of a 599, but am a bit shaky on the subject and was hoping for some advice from those in the know. I am looking primarily at 2 cars. Both cars are 2007 models. One car has approximately 1800 miles on it and is going for $200K. The second car has about 8800 miles on it and has an ask price of $178K. Both cars are the same color and are comparably equipped. Is the difference in mileage worth the difference in price. Oh, both cars are in A+ condition.

Thanks Much,

Adrian

2. jvecchi

jvecchi Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    Sarver, PA
    Full Name:
    John M. Vecchi
    Scan through the previous threads, and you'll find most everything you're looking for.

Get the maintenance records and review them carefully, comparing them to the maintenance schedule in the manual. My guess is that the 1800 mile car is most likely overdue on 'time based' maintenance. The 8800 mile car could be, too. If not, bravo to the owners. With either car, insist on getting everything up to date as part of the deal.

Decide how you're going to drive the car. If it's going to be a garage queen, then maybe the 1800 mile car would be worth the extra $$ because it will still be a low mileage car years from now. If you're going to drive the car the way it should be and put some serious miles on it, then save the money and get the 8800 mile car.

Just my opinion.

3. 360Grigiotitanio

360Grigiotitanio Formula Junior

May 17, 2004
    Bay Area, California
    I would try to avoid the pentagram wheels, if either car has them. They are basically unpopular I believe.

It also depends on how much you expect to drive it. The low mileage car will drop pretty precipitously in terms of resale if you put day 7,500 miles on it over the next two years.

4. OCMIA

OCMIA Rookie

Jan 4, 2012
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Both of those seem to be priced a bit high, especially the 1800 mile car. I personally would opt for a vehicle that had been driven vs. one that had not. For what it's worth to you, I recently ended up purchasing an 07 with 9600 miles for $159.5K. The list price was $169,900. Mine was red with tan/black interior with some carbon fiber trim, steering wheel, etc. It had all the services done and is in beautiful condition. IMHO, low miles or not, the $200k car is grossly overpriced. If it was a 2008, sure I can maybe see that, but I would think $175-180k is more realistic. I searched for a while and had a purchase price in mind for both 07 and 08 cars, but I was waiting for the right one.

Good luck! I absolutely LOVE mine!

5. 1mean3

1mean3 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2012

+1.

Too much for an 2007 even if it was "new in the wrapper"; and why seek an ultra low mile car if your going to drive it.

6. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    +1

You need to do A LOT more reading here and A LOT more research on car prices.

7. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    way to much $$$$$

ton for sale..... you should be thinking $150k ish...

tell a dealer you have a 07 for trade.... see what he thinks it worth... then pick up your dropped phone...

8. KenGoldman

KenGoldman Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 25, 2009
    MASS., USA
    Full Name:
    Kenneth Goldman
    I bought a 2008 model.

I would try for the 2008 or later---they have some upgrades in them which are
    worth the extra $$$$. If you are planning on keeping the car, spend the
    extra money for a later model.

I think the 2007 is not the one to get. Resale will be much lower on early models.

Ken Goldman

9. PMCCHRIS

PMCCHRIS Rookie

Dec 18, 2012
    Please check cars.com for pricing listings. There are a ton of 599s right now for sale with less miles for far less.

The 200K asking price of a 2007 is insane. You can grab a 2009-10 for that much.
    Also I would never recommend getting a first year of the run Ferrari, typically by the 2nd year has a ton of upgrades.

10. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    piling on...$200k for a 2007, regardless of low mileage, is way too much...I'd want one that had been driven much more anyways and save the $40k instant hit...

Also, good advice here to try to find a 2008 or later model year if you want to spend $200k (after the bosch upgrade (research)).

11. doctorj!

doctorj! Formula 3

Aug 3, 2010
    Jersey
    Full Name:
    AJ
    I have them on my 599 and love them.

12. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Taken aback at first, they're now my favorite 599 wheel.

13. Roupin

Roupin Formula 3

Oct 7, 2013
    Encino
    Full Name:
    Roupin
    Same here.
    I disliked the Pentagram wheels in pictures and was already trying to pick an aftermarket wheel before I had seen my car in person. Afterwards you can say it was love at first sight :)
    My only gripe is the 19" fronts but the details of the design more than makes up for it.

14. rmb221

rmb221 Karting

Feb 25, 2013
  15. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Expensive for an 07 unless it has absolutely everything you want.

16. 1mean3

1mean3 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2012
    I agree. Very nice looking car but seems like $10-15k too high in price. There are a lot of 07s out there.

17. OCMIA

OCMIA Rookie

Jan 4, 2012
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Way too much!

18. carcommander

carcommander Formula 3

Sep 28, 2006
    Southeast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Find a couple you like and start making offers. Plenty for sale. The 200K guy knows he is shooting for the moon. Lots of very low mileage Ferrari's around.

19. OCMIA

OCMIA Rookie

Jan 4, 2012
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I think you probably have a good idea of the market price on 2007/2008 models from the feedback you have received from everyone. You can also see the range on cars.com or autotrader.com. The next step is going to see and drive them as well as the experience you receive at the dealership. One Ferrari dealer was full of scumbags and the other Ferrari dealer (where I purchased from) was incredible. I cannot say enough great things about sales and service at Ferrari of Newport Beach. They have continued to provide outstanding service almost two months after by taking care of items for free that would've cost several thousand dollars. I think when you see the car in person that is for you, you'll know it. When I saw mine, I knew...even though I was hours from getting on a plane to see and buy another in Scottsdale. So glad I didn't buy from Scottsdale Ferrari.

20. GameMaker

GameMaker Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2014
    WA State
    I'm also in the market for a 599. Definitely looking to find one below $180k.

Is it crazy to use this car as my daily driver? I'm heavily debating whether to get rid of my current daily driver or keep it as a backup. I expect to put around 10-12k miles per year on the car.

For some reason I really dig the blue ones.

Anything else us prospective owners should know?

21. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Things to know as a daily driver:
    1. the car is mechanically reliable
    2. the car will eat gas (expect anywhere between 8-20 MPG depending)
    3. the tires are not happy in cold weather, it can make the car a handful if you try to put down anything more than a little power.

Conclusion: keep current daily car as a foul weather friend and get 599 for nice day driving duties.