what 16" tires for my 308 QV? | FerrariChat

what 16" tires for my 308 QV?

Discussion in '308/328' started by chairpilot, Jun 29, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. chairpilot

chairpilot Formula 3

Mar 3, 2007
    LA, CA & Olympia, WA
    Full Name:
    PlateClipGuys
    I'm ditching my 390mm wheels and 12 year old TRX's this weekend! But I can't decide on what tires to put on my new 16" repo wheels (7"F & 8" R) for my '83 QV. I want low noise, smooth ride and decent handling (yes, I know I want it all). Note I do not plan on any off street tracking.

If I hold my budget to under $200/tire (assuming that is realistic) which of the following would you recommend I consider:

Goodyear F1 DSG3
    Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3
    Michelin Pilots
    Michelin P2 (or are they the same?)
    Michelin MMMX3
    Yokahama ES100
    BFG Sport
    BFG KDW
    BFG G4
    Kuhmo ECSTA ASX

Or is there something else I should consider? Thanks.

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I'm a Goodyear guy, they sponsor my team.......go with those, I run them, the F1 GS D3s.......

I pick them up in stacks. at the Downtown warehouse......:D

3. TwinOne

TwinOne Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 17, 2005
    Mizar V
    Full Name:
    Robert
    #3 TwinOne, Jun 29, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    FWIW new on my car when I purchased it, Toyo Proxes4. They are advertised as "Ultra High Preformance All Season". I can't comment about the ultimate handling but they are very quiet and a comfortable ride.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    I've no experience but personal and i've always found Japanesse tires to hold up best and at a good price.

I've had good luck with the Korean Kumho tires too.

Michelin makes a great tire but at a high price.

If i had a set of those repo wheels instead of my 14's id be at the tire store within the hour..couldn't wait long enough to make a post on the forum. Please make some before and after pics. if you can.

5. Canut

Canut Formula Junior

Aug 11, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Manuel Canut
    I got the GoodYear Eagle F-1 GS-D3
    I picked them up because I read in Car & Driver or Road & Trcak a test done on several high performance tires, and these ones came on top.
    They are also very good on the rain.

6. bergxu

bergxu Formula 3

Aug 16, 2005
    OnTheSerpentMound
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I have Pirelli P Zero Neros on my QV wheels and have nary a complaint. About 4K miles on them thus far. Smooth and quiet ride with good handling. And hey doesn't an Italian car require Italian shoes? :)

7. spiderseeker

spiderseeker Formula 3

Jul 22, 2005
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I bought the Goodyear F1 DSG3, last year, in stock 16" sizes, they are great handling wet or dry, dead quiet, perfect balance, great looking tread too. I love mine.
    Got mine at Discount Tire, they beat Tire Rack prices too.

8. Jeff328

Jeff328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2006
    WI
    I just got a set of Goodyear Eagle F1 Gs-D3's for my 328 in stock 16" sizes. They aren't on the car yet but I expect them to be great. I had them on my BMW coupe and they were excellent. Also top rated in every comparison test I've seen.

When I got mine (about a month ago) the set was $44 cheaper through Tire Rack than Discount Tire, which was the second-least expensive place I found. I paid $568 for 4 tires including shipping. (after a $40 mail in rebate the final price will be $528 for 4)

9. Franc308

Franc308 F1 Rookie

Sep 23, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Franc
    Schumi always has Bridgestone under his Ferrari, so I asked myself; why would I not make the same choice as the worlds greatest F1 racer? Bridgestone Potenza.... great tyres.

10. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    I have the Bridgestone Potenzas on my 308 and love them. Good riding and handling tire. I had Yokohama AVSs on my old Mondial (84 QV) and loved those as well. I have Toyo Proxies T1-Ss on my Corvette, and they are a superb handling tire.

Pick your poison. Most of the tires you list are good. Just get the right sizes front and rear and you'll be fine with almost any of them.

11. Brapbrapbrap

Brapbrapbrap Karting

Sep 23, 2006
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Hal
    Bridgestone - F1 sponsor.

H

12. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    The Yokohama ES100 tires are probably the best value mix of performance vs cost. Also consider "upsizing" from the stock size... going to 225/50-16 on the front (which is the stock rear size) and 245/45-16 on the front keeps the overall stock diameter for 16" wheels but puts a bit more rubber on the ground for a noticeable improvemet in hard cornering.

What I just listed here is what I have on my car... no regrets.

13. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    i've been running the kuhmo's for about two years and have no complaints.

14. rtking

rtking Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bob King
    I have the Yokohama ES100 (245/45-17) and I'm very happy with them. Good smooth ride and very good handling. But I understand that Yokohama is phasing this tire out, so I would look at the newer Yokohama offerings or the Goodyears.

The BFG G-Force Sports are decent for the money, but I found that forward traction was a bit lacking in the dry, and more-so in the wet. The BFG G-Force KDW2 is much better, but there's plenty of road noise. But with a Ferrari, I don't think you'll be able to hear much road noise. The sidewalls are quite stiff however, so I think you'll lose ride quality but pick-up sharper turn-in.

The Goodyears have been rated very highly. I've heard very good things about the F1-GS D3. I think this may be your best bet if you're looking for a tire that does it all.

Bob

15. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    F1 GSD3s under my 328 & very happy with them. WHile they may still be available I think you'll find they have been superceded by the F1 Asymetrics now so I'd have those instead if I was buying now.

I.

16. Jbryant

Jbryant Karting

Sep 23, 2006
    California City
    Full Name:
    Jeff Bryant
    Michelin Pilots Sport II

Well I guess everybody has a preference

Jeff

17. Hans

Hans F1 Veteran

Feb 17, 2006
    Hilversum, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans Teijgeler
    +1

Hans

18. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    #18 robertgarven, Jul 3, 2007
  19. chairpilot

chairpilot Formula 3

Mar 3, 2007
    LA, CA & Olympia, WA
    Full Name:
    PlateClipGuys
    Robert - hows the ride and road noise on those Bridgestones?

20. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    #20 robertgarven, Jul 4, 2007
    The ride and handling are exceptional. I was turned on to them but a fellow lister who used them for autocrossing. The were OEM on the Honda 2000's. I like them beacause they do not have all that ugly side wall graphics, and of course the handling. I do not notice any noise from them but I have a carbed car with a tubi. The roads hard to believe are pretty bad in CA, so ride quality is hard to determine however on smooth surfaces they are a dream. I am a pretty agressive driver and have never gotten the tail loose with them except on gravel (FCA nightmare drive). They are primarily DRY weather tires, I know they are still in stock but if I could not get them I would opt for newer model Bridgestones.

They are the ones on the right. They also have a rounded shoulder consitent with the stock tires and do not rub my fenders in any way, the tires on the left are Pirelli P700Z. BTW those are the same tire sizes on both rims 205/55 F 225/50 R, but the HRE's were 7.5 all around and the QV wheels are 7 & & rsepectively. Oh dont for get they are unidirectional, and always check manufacture date before installation.

21. sammyb

sammyb Formula 3

Jun 23, 2006
    Where wife tells me
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Bob,
    While the handling and noise are pretty good with the BFG Sports I got for my 328 (and it was a great deal at $350 for 4 tires installed), I'm not happy with the way that the car feels. It's way more "darty" than with the Pirellis. It almost feels like the tires are over-inflated, but they aren't -- just the profile/tread of the tire.

I probably wouldn't buy them again for the 328. Although, I only have about 200 miles on the car since installation, so the feel might change as the tread wears.

If you decide to go with PZeros, I have the fronts I took off mine -- they have only a couple thou miles, plenty of tread ...certainly more than 80-percent. (My rears were shot, because they previous owner replaced the fronts only right before he decided to sell the car.) I'd sell them to you for cheap,cheap,cheap.
    Sam

22. Prancer

Prancer Rookie

Apr 16, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Full Name:
    Ron
    My 16" 308 QV rims require refitting with new rubber. I welcome and will appreciate any recommendation (or otherwise) with respect to the current state of favored brand and specific "model" of tire. Thank you.

23. Ccashen1

Ccashen1 Rookie

Jun 29, 2013
    I just ordered Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3 for my '83. Not in yet.

24. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    TireRack.com is a great site for getting reviews and statistics on various tires. One can spend hours there analyzing.

If you must ask, my drug of choice is Bridgestone RE-11As. I have them on both of my sports cars including my 308.

25. Qvb

Qvb F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca.
    Full Name:
    John Dixon
    It will depend a lot on what size tires you are running. It is very hard to find performance tires that come in the correct staggered sizes if you run the common wider 225/50 fronts and 245/45 rears.