Ferrari LaFerrari vs Mclaren P1 vs Porsche 918 | Page 318 | FerrariChat

Ferrari LaFerrari vs Mclaren P1 vs Porsche 918

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by mpowered, Nov 3, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    Good post. I also wonder how long the GTO can sustain these values. Guys that own them today were largely teenagers and in their 20's when the GTO was new and they have reached the point in their life where they are simply exchanging little green pieces of paper for a fabulous Ferrari that was popular when they were growing up.

2. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    While i think the number of those super expensive historical cars will decrease at rallying and racing events, you will still see them. I was at Cavallino last January and there were 2 GTOs being raced.

3. ginge82

ginge82 Formula 3

Jul 23, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Art Corvelay
  4. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    I get your point, but the same guys who were teenagers when the GTO was new are paying tons of money for pre-war cars that were built before they were born, so...

5. Monch

Monch Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2012

Very lucky kids. I hope they appreciate them.

6. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Tons of teenagers go nuts when they see a GTO. At least in Europe. If you go to events where historic cars are present, you see a lot of teens and tweens drooling over 917, GTO, GT40s..
    The ones who don't care about a GTO at $50m probably won't care for an F1 at $10m..and will buy a GTR.

7. Mbn

Mbn Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2004
  8. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    I wonder that too.

Here's a good article if you haven't read it yet:
    Baby Boomers Created the Classic-Car Market?and Could Crash It ? Feature ? Car and Driver

Obviously classic Ferraris have a larger international appeal than does a big block chevelle, etc., and in the GTO's case there were only a handful of cars built.

I think they will continue to have appeal and there is always the stereotypical cost-no-object, have to have it mentality, but I don't think these cars will have the same appeal to my generation and beyond like they do the current owners.

Last year I was at an event where a 250 GTO was on display and it barely got noticed, sitting next among a 458, 599, Enzo, etc. I was shocked how little attention it happened to be getting, and spent awhile around the car while most flocked to everything else.

If they stuck a $50M pricetag on it I'm sure it would have been swarmed, but I think most people had no idea what it was.

9. Sexton

Sexton Karting

Mar 4, 2014
    Did he pay 52m in 2011..............i didn't think so.

10. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    #7935 Peloton25, Mar 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    That shouldn't be the point, but if that's what you want to focus on... :rolleyes:

All the 36 (or in some minds, 39) GTOs are not of equal value to begin with. There are some where the history dictates wide fluctuations in the price - 20-30% even, so the next one to sell may not clear the previous high watermark at all.

The point is these hugely valued cars are not kept in sterile environments just because of their worth - the guy who just spent $52M very likely will take full use of the car if he is anything like most of the other GTO owners.

A few weeks ago a 250 GTO owner was spotted on the highway on a weekday morning in Northern California commuting in his GTO as if it were any other car. This image was shared in the FChat Vintage forum. In some minds that's even scarier than a vintage race.

>8^)
    ER
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    That is amaZing and awesome. If I saw that I would have never believed it was original.

12. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    It will be an interesting test, that's for sure.

One could argue art from 50, 100, 200, 500, and even 10000 years ago is still collected and cherished. Incredibly valuable as well. Then again, art has had thousands of years to develop, has a waaaaay bigger audience, and in some cases much more cultural and historical significance. It's also often 1 of 1.

Culturally, cars just aren't seen as important. This is evident in education. We educate people to build cars, but we care little about their history. Art classes and art history classes are available beginning from childhood through a Ph.D. Henry Ford History 317? Yup. Car History 101? Never heard of it.

There is also only so much sentimental value to go around with cars. Unless these cars are winding up in the hands of people with young children, the next generation won't have the same attachment to it. When all the people who lived during an era with some overlap to the GTO die, the market may take a nasty turn. Same could be true for collector car market in general.

Or it may not. Hard to say.

One thing I can say for certain though is that the older crowd today does not love new cars like they love old cars. My grandpa never told me he though a Lamborghini was nice, but he definitely mentioned some old Fords and stuff that he remembers from years passed. I think you can also make a very comfortable argument that young people aren't nearly as interested in really old cars either. It makes sense. I have no attachment or connection to a GTO. I grew up drooling over modern exotics. I definitely like old, beautiful cars, but I don't see much value in a 250 GTO over a nice $50K vintage car that looks good. Michelangelo, Da Vinci, Raphael on the other hand -- they've been drilled into my head and culture since I can remember. I have no overlap with their lives or work, but culturally they are very significant.

Here are some interesting questions:

What has been the average age of GTO owners over time? Is it going up, down, or staying the same?
    How about classic cars in general? Up, down, or same?
    Also take a look at vintage forum activity vs modern. Could be rather telling of the market.

Only time will tell. I'm sure they'll never just be discarded, but a massive price adjustment wouldn't be shocking either.

13. Goplay

Goplay Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2012
    Northern CA
    Very interesting points. For me, I have become somewhat jaded with modern cars and I am in my 40s. I have an F12 as a daily driver (pickup trucks for real practicality) and for the hyper car fever I am getting a P1 and on the fence about a 918. I would get a LaF but I guess I don't qualify.

However, I have gotten the bug for vintage cars. This isn't sentimental for me, as most of these cars are before I was born.

I just purchased an unrestored '66 e type that is in great condition as well as a restored Austin Healey 100M. I would love a 250 GTO. While driving old cars really suck in comparison to modern cars, there is beauty in these cars particularly when you consider manufacturing capabilities of the era. Metal had to be formed, bumpers were steel, no electronics, no plastics...

Interestingly many of my friends of this age group go crazy over the vintage cars. I think they view modern cars as a process of simply writing a check, but purchasing a vintage car reflects a greater consideration and certainly greater commitment.

I think there is more interest in vintage cars than one might expect. Whether that translates to more demand is a separate topic.

14. Sexton

Sexton Karting

Mar 4, 2014
    I stand correct, all good points.

15. Scuderia CC

Scuderia CC Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    France
    Full Name:
    Christophe
    Jay Leno Takes Delivery of First McLaren P1™ in USA :

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gema_zZMnLg]Jay Leno Takes Delivery of First McLaren P1? in USA - YouTube[/ame]

16. jcosta79

jcosta79 Formula 3

Nov 15, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    LaJonathan
    Funny, when I first got my 370Z I was disappointed that they switched brake suppliers from Brembo to Akebono. (l loved the brakes in my 2 previous Z cars) Then I did some research and realized what kind of company Akebono is and all the cars they make brakes for. Seeing this video and seeing Akebonos on the P1 made me smile a little.

I can't wait to see Jay's video on this car. Hopefully we won't have to wait too long as he no longer has a job. LOL

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

17. ginge82

ginge82 Formula 3

Jul 23, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Art Corvelay
    #7942 ginge82, Mar 27, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
    It takes less than 40 cultured and wealthy children of successive generations to 'get' the allure and historical significance of the GTO.

They either inherit the car or purchase themselves, but again with so few and the history of Ferrari so rich, I doubt that car will become a forgotten dinosaur anytime soon.

Just like any inquisitive generation of youth when they grow tired with the present they usually look back to their roots. Music, art, fashion, sports and cars. Nothing is spared that tendency.

When generations of youth look back on the history of Ferrari they will find many sparkling jewels. The GTO amongst the best of them.

It will be fascinating to see if LaFerrari becomes a jewel.

18. Chicko

Chicko Formula 3

19. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    Yep! For some reason the LF does not strike me as such quite like the F40, F50 or Enzo.

But like the Enzo I'm sure its design will only improve with age.

20. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    People always say that of the new car. Then they grow on them (most of the time..). I still remember the first picture of the Enzo and how awful i thought it looked. Now, i think it's a beautiful car, with a very bold design that will stand the test of time.

21. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
  22. Adrenalin Junkee

Adrenalin Junkee Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2007
    CT
    Full Name:
    Zach
    that looks incredible in volcano red. love it!

23. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    #7949 DriveAfterDark, Mar 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  24. Scuderia980

Scuderia980 F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2006
    Mountains--Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave S. V
    wow, until this video I never really noticed how 'distracting' the rear end is. not enough body panels. the lighting, the camera work really shows all the gear in there, the fans, wiring, the wing hydraulics. too much vent/open, to the point of not seeing a rear end of a car, but just gear. giving an impression of 'clunky'. with the a dark colored body, it's not as jarring. need for serious cooling means vents, but hmm...