Concorso Italiano Palm Desert 2014 | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Concorso Italiano Palm Desert 2014

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by Jaguar 15, Dec 3, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. aln

aln Karting

Sep 5, 2013
    Los Angeles
    hi all! we are on the way to PS now. margaret is in the cockpit.... i'm not driving and typing! :)

plan for tomorrow: jaguar's in the afternoon, then drop the car at the venue right before 6pm -> off to the gallery. we are having dinner with two other couples at firecliff (73725 El Paseo; (760) 773-6565. made 8pm reservations. i spoke with roberta and they still have tables available. (same cannot be said for jaguar's other rec, il corso) including a six top and a ten-top.

see you soon! ;)

2. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward

Just PMd ya....

I just checked in to Shadow Mtn.
    We plan to the same as above....but have dinner reserv at Mastros.
    Also got a last minute email from Concorso stating this:

"Yes, that’s correct. We have made arrangements for our exhibitors who are arriving on Saturday in Palm Desert to park along the beautiful El Paseo Drive, in front of the Gardens. (www.thegardensonelpaseo.com). Spaces are reserved between 1:00PM Saturday afternoon to 3:30PM. Feel free to park your car in specially designated spaces by displaying your Desert Concorso hang tag."

So prob eat lunch on El Paseo if anyone has any suggestions. The Pagani will be there!!!!
    See you all tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I(f anyone is still reading at this late hour, my plans have changes slightly. The soon to be ex flaked out so I will have my 6 year old daughter with me. Most likely will change my dinner and entertainment plans.

4. aln

aln Karting

Sep 5, 2013
    Los Angeles
    headed to el paseo for 1p arrival, then to jim's & the art gallery. cell 626.284.0077. :) Ananth

5. Testarossa Lover

Testarossa Lover F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 31, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Haig Barsamian
    Hi Bert,

I am staying with John who is member here in Palm Desert. It has been a relaxing weekend so far. Girls are out shopping, I am just kicking it. We intent to hit Jim's place before we head to the Gallery...

Eddie, joined us to breakfast and lunch and treated us to his trumpet of 16M. We heard me checking in and leave the guard house... I do miss my TR, but under the circumstances, I would have not enjoyed her all that much. These can tell you how I have been moving. It is a hit and miss. Happy to answer 1031 questions, please feel free to reach me or get my cell number from Jim. I will send you a PM. We are dinning at Mastros at 7:15. PM sent

6. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Damn I rolled onto El Paseo and just as I was driving in I saw the Pagani drive by me. What a work of art!!!

Looks like most will eat dinner on El Paseo.
    Perhaps we all can meet afterwards at a lounge or bar around 9:30?
    Any recs?

7. phriek430

phriek430 Karting

Nov 4, 2012
    Orange County, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Darrel
    Hey guys,
    we weren't able to attend the event but if you could post some pictures we would greatly appreciate it!

8. Testarossa Lover

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 31, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Haig Barsamian
    Although, I wasn't able to show my silver beast, it was fun seeing my friends and cool cars.

9. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    [​IMG]

12. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    It was great catching up with everyone at the Concorso!
    The highlight cars for me were the F40 with 36k miles in it and the new McLaren 650S.
    Amazing cars all around. Oh the MC12 wasn't bad :)

13. robert_c

robert_c F1 Rookie

May 12, 2005
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Robert C
    Serious question. What is Italian in the McLaren?

14. aln

aln Karting

Sep 5, 2013
    Los Angeles
    #114 aln, Mar 31, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  15. Testarossa Lover

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 31, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Haig Barsamian
    This car was confused...:)

16. sammyb

sammyb Formula 3

Jun 23, 2006
    Where wife tells me
    Full Name:
    Sam
    The organizing body wanted to make sure that there were non-Italian cars there too, which is why the '64 Lotus Elan that I spent Oct-December refreshing/repainting for my father was there. I agree that the best way to appreciate Italian cars is to see how different (and sometimes similar) they were to their sporting contemporaries.

By the way, if anyone took some pix of my dad's Lotus there, I'd love to have a picture emailed to me ([email protected]).

Cheers,
    sam

17. phriek430

phriek430 Karting

Nov 4, 2012
    Orange County, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Darrel
    Thanks for all the pics!! My heart skips a beat everytime I see a stable of F-Cars! Next Year!

18. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Hi all,
    I'd be interested to read any and all first hand accounts regarding this event.
    I personally didn't attend for couple of excuses.
    One, the only vintage car I had ready wasn't accepted, which I sort of expected anyway since it isn't Italian nor easily classified by today's "standards" (too old school, I guess ?).
    Two, the day before I almost accidentally/begrudgingly stopped by what turned out to be surprisingly interesting multi-make Concours in Riverside (saw only one Ferrari, an Enzo) and I was only able to take time off to attend just one. I'm glad I went and will definitely go (and perhaps enter a car) next year, if it's continued. Spectator cost was only $5.00 !!!

After looking at the entry list of cars and some pictures featured here, although the venue appear nice, overall attendance of both, exhibitors and spectators seem light (at least in the pics).
    Was the event what you expected ? Why/why not ? Did all or most cars expected showed up ?
    What comments (pros/cons) you might have or overheard ? Would you go back ? ...
    Timo

P.S. Who knows, maybe organizers would appreciate any feedback also.

19. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    My observations were:

Spectator crowd was very light. Most were either participants or residents of the golf course that were given free admission. I believe that where there are several of these type of events that one can attend for free or for only a few dollars, asking $70 per ticket is way off the mark.

Programing was limited. really not too much to do other than look at the cars. After a hour or two, you were basically done. Not a lot to bring in the spectators other than the cars and not much to keep the participants entertained for 7 hours. I was bored and ready to leave after 4 hours.

Food was very limited. Pizza and salad was about all you could buy. One would think that if they dropped the admission price to $20 or less, the spectator crowd would increase 10 fold. With that many more people attending, they could attract several more local restaurants to feed the crowds and collect more revenue from the additional restaurants making for a much better event and maybe more revenue for the operator.

20. aln

aln Karting

Sep 5, 2013
    Los Angeles
    #121 aln, Apr 11, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
    +1
    agreed on all points. i did talk to the organizer and apparently two of the food vendors cancelled the morning of the event. so i guess you can't blame them for that. on the other hand, the hospitality tent really should have been better stocked. it was hot and there was no water the majority of the time. and no snacks or anything else that (IMHO) should have been there.

21. ghibliman

ghibliman Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2009
    +2

I was unimpressed. Think I'll skip next year unless something changes drastically.

Too much money for too little to see and eat.

22. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    +3

23. 355rockit

355rockit Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2010
    San Marcos, CA
    Full Name:
    Vas
    I agree... Food wasn't available until around 11:30AM or so and the one food vendor was overwhelmed to the point of serving some burned pizzas. I was under the impression that this would be a judged show like Concorso Italiano in Monterey. I spend a ton of time prepping the car to wind up not being judged and being covered in fine sparkly dust which also coated the interior of the car. I won't be attending next year unless they drop the spectator price significantly. This isn't a Monterey level show to be asking $70 for spectators.

24. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Thank you, gentlemen. I appreciate your observations. With so (too?) many car events/shows almost year round here in So. Cal. it's good to get honest comments/feedback from participants to help one decide which might be worth awhile to participate in and which not.
    Personally, I don't have a lot of interest in (nor knowledge of) later model vehicles, be they exotics or not, so I tend to prefer events/shows focusing more on vintage gear. This apparently wasn't one.
    Timo