Girard-Perregaux Ferrari Watch: Is it Authentic? | FerrariChat

Girard-Perregaux Ferrari Watch: Is it Authentic?

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by gofast85, Mar 30, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gofast85

gofast85 Rookie

Mar 30, 2014
    #1 gofast85, Mar 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hello Everyone!
    I was given a Girard-Perregaux Ferrari watch as a gift from a friend. With exception of some slight cosmetic wear the watch is beautiful.
    I am concerned however of its authenticity. It is at least 10-15 years old and the self winding mechanism works perfectly. All the other signatures of a real GP watch are present however I do not see a serial number on the back of the watch. Maybe since the watch is so old they did not printing a serial number?
    Any help would be much appreciated!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. starboy444

starboy444 F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    Nice friend you have... if that watch is real it would probably worth a few thousand dollars.

Unless he owes you money, or a big favour, its a nice gift.

If not... I would say its fake by the looks of it. Ferrari Logo is not accurate, and watch face looks suspect. Please get it appraised and let me know if I was wrong.

3. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    #3 ylshih, Mar 30, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
    There are a lot of Ferrari GP watches I'm not familiar with, but that one looks fake to me. First the cavallino is rotated from the correct presentation. The head should be at 12 o'clock and directly above the planted rear hoof. Also I would have expected the Girard Perregaux name on the dialface.

A Ferrari calendar/day-date watch is also unusual, as the typical complication is a chronograph. The ones I've seen with a calendar, were perpetual calendar and still had the chronograph. Also, what do the two pushers do as they're not needed on a calendar/day-date watch?

The caseback engraving isn't typical as it doesn't describe the model/type of the watch; the 1791 is a reference to the year Girard Perregaux was founded and is seen on some fakes. The bracelet doesn't seem like a typical GP bracelet either.

4. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
  5. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
  6. damian in nj

damian in nj Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2009
    My first giveaway was-it's a chronograph with no chronograph registers??

7. michael platzer

michael platzer F1 Veteran

Nov 12, 2003
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Michael Platzer
    sorry to say that but its a bad fake.
    cheap looking case and bracelet, Chrono-look and wrong dial, wrong position of the Cavallino ....

8. adamr

adamr Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2002
    Chicago
    Is one of the pushers for dual time?

9. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    The horse on the dial is very funny. Obviously the person who assembled it assumed it was shown in a galopping position and placed it accordingly!

10. stevenwk

stevenwk F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Full Name:
    Steve
    looks fake

11. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    This was my first strong indicator that it was fake. :)

12. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    So.. to impress one or your friends, go and give it to them, but make sure they don't know about Fchat.

13. Alvarado.am

Alvarado.am Rookie

Mar 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    Andres Martinez
  14. Blitz88

Blitz88 Karting

The Cavallino on the face looks like a donkey.

Alvarado.am likes this.
  15. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    #15 Brian A, Mar 4, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
    I shopped extensively before I bought a GP8020 last year. I am by no means an expert, but I have become familiar with GP.

Both of your watches are highly suspicious. The watch on the left, although it is closer to GP styling, just does not appear to have the build quality of a legitimate GP. GP is particularly renown for their cases and bracelets; they are exquisite pieces of jewelry. The bracelet on the watch on the left just does not look up to GP standards. Likewise, it has a screw down back to the case, which I at least, have never seen.

The watch on the right has a case back that looks a little more like a true GP case back, but the watch face itself just does not seem to have the fine face details that GPs have and the pushers are different from what I’ve seen. The yellow strap also appears to be a cheapie aftermarket.

Of course, I may be completely wrong. A jeweler/watchmaker can inspect the movement etc. and give you a more certain answer.

GP made Ferrari-logo watches from 1994 to 2004 so only through a 10 year window and the watches didn’t evolve much during that period. If you search on “Girard Perregaux Ferrari” on the Chrono24 website, you’ll see most of the range of GP watch styles that were manufactured during that period.

Alvarado.am likes this.
  16. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    ... wait a minute! The yellow strap watch says "Japan Movt" on the back! And neither says "Swiss Made" on the face. I spent too much time writing my response above.

Alvarado.am likes this.
  17. Alvarado.am

Alvarado.am Rookie

Mar 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    Andres Martinez
    You know what’s the weirdest part? I bought both of them at Motorsport of Scottsdale in Arizona, they sold lots of original merchandise of both Ferrari and Lamborghini, it was a dealer but I just can’t believe they are fake

18. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    Sorry, I hope you did not pay too much.

The 8020 clone doesn’t appear to have proper subdials for a chronograph (and possibly inoperable pushers). Does it work as a Chrono? Also, I think there should be a date window.

19. 88MONDIAL

88MONDIAL Formula 3

Apr 13, 2005
    Racine, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Jim Smith
    I know my replicas (I have 22 of them) and those are all fake. Not really good fakes either as all three above use the Asian 21j movement. Hence the chronographs without real chronograph subdials. The 21j cannot do this so it substitutes subdials that the movement can handle, the spacing is close between them(though not perfect either) but it gives the look of the originals - until you really look at them.

20. Aaron94

Aaron94 Rookie

Dec 15, 2022
    Full Name:
    Aaron A
    Hi everyone. I recently purchased this watch at an auction and am wondering about its authenticity as I know there are many fakes out there.

The dials look a bit different to what I have seen, although the 7 day dial hand is missing. Perhaps they were replaced?

The back has a glass view to see the mechanism. The back plate is marked 'Manufacture Girard Perregaux La Chaux-de-fonds Avril 1994 47°14 serie spacdle Ret9042'

I just can't seem to find much info on this model?

It certainly feels high quality. If it is a fake it is still a decent feeling and looking watch. But I do have concerns about its authenticity and want to get more info on it before I go about getting a new 7 day dial hand put on.

I appreciate any advice I can get

Thanks

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. definitelysomeday

definitelysomeday Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
    I am going to go out on a limb and say it is fake.

Quality overall is not up to par for GP.

22. Aaron94

Aaron94 Rookie

Dec 15, 2022
    Full Name:
    Aaron A
    Thanks for the response. Is there anything specific you can point out?

23. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    Lots of odd things about this watch.

- Overall fit/finish/quality doesn't seem up to GP standards
    - Shield on front dial doesn't look right
    - Main hands are not typical of a GP, badly proportioned and excessive obscuration of the registers
    - Most 3 register Ferrari watches made by GP were chronographs, not calendar watches, in keeping with the auto theme. GP made some Ferrari watches that had a calendar combined with a chronograph, but I don't recall any made as Ferrari watches that are only a calendar function.
    - The engraving on the back mentions "avril 1994" (which is April 1994), which is very unusual for GP, unless it was a custom engraving denoting a commemorative date after it left GP. The "41°14" doesn't have a clear meaning to me either.
    - The term "Ret9042" seems like it should be "Ref 9042", which is common watch terminology for manufacturers designating the model number. So a misspelling like that is a very bad sign. Also, Reference 9042 is not that watch, it's this one:

https://www.lot-art.com/auction-lots/GIRARD-PERREGAUX-REF-9042-N-AXX-STAINLESS-STEEL-WRISTWATCH/433-girard_perregaux_9042_9042-07.12.22-pandolfini

Overall, I'm leaning to fake.

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  24. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i have an original. ill find a pic.

25. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002