Manual 599 GTB | FerrariChat

Manual 599 GTB

Discussion in '612/599' started by brad599, Mar 5, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. brad599

brad599 Karting

Nov 22, 2012
    seattle
    Full Name:
    brad
    I currently have a manual 599. I have a friend who loves mine and is looking for a Manual 599 for himself. Does anyone have one for sale or know of one for sale.

Thanks

2. rmb221

rmb221 Karting

Feb 25, 2013
    from personal experience, they are very hard to find.

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Ferrari of Houston had one, at one point....

4. cmparrenzo

cmparrenzo F1 Rookie

Mar 3, 2002
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Chris Parr
    There was a black 599 three pedal car at Amelia this weekend...

5. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Did you fill up it's gas tank?
    CH

6. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    Buy the car you want and convert it to a six speed. Contrary to what everyone in here says you won't ruin the resale. It'll probably sell even faster then an f1 if the conversion is done properly.

7. Gated

Gated Formula 3

Dec 21, 2009
    I would imagine this is more than a bit difficult...

8. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    It has been done with 360s, but for the 599 finding all the parts could be prohibitively expensive because of the much smaller number of 3 pedal 599s. One of the 360 guys used a combination of new and used parts, and the latter are likely to be very scarce.

9. brad599

brad599 Karting

Nov 22, 2012
    seattle
    Full Name:
    brad
    Thanks guys. I checked Houston. It must have sold already. Its my understanding that only 33 Manuals were built. I'll keep looking.

10. ASK328

ASK328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2005
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    F of New England had a red one not long ago.

11. 433rdmaw

433rdmaw Karting

Mar 23, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Jack Calhoun
    Ferrari of New England had promised the red one to me when their customer traded in his on a F12. Waited three months with constant contact with the sales manager.

The Sales Manager was away for 4 days and they sold it the red 3 pedal to a favorite local. Not much truth to that story. Did not even give me the courtesy of topping his offer after they had led me on for three months. I had offered a trade or to wire cash.

Integrity is not living at Ferrari of New England.

Jack

12. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    That's awful I'm sorry that happened to you.

13. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    I heard about that car when it was traded in. I wanted it for myself, but they never responded to me. Sad to hear that they gave another story to you.

14. 433rdmaw

433rdmaw Karting

Mar 23, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Jack Calhoun
    Would a F430 6mt be a decent addition to the 599 F-1?

15. Jamarico

Jamarico Karting

Nov 30, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Marco
  16. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Marco- Costs of shipping, customs, and conversion to US standards are prohibitive. Especially since the car would then always be a gray market car and worth less than a factory US model. Until it gets to be 25 years old and can be brought in without changes.

17. Fiorano57

Fiorano57 Formula 3
    BANNED

Dec 23, 2010
    Welcome to the world of car salespeople.....in the same boat with real estate people.
    Most would walk over their dead Mother to make some cash. sad:(

18. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Not really. Gearbox is all the same, just take out the hydraulic bits and put in the normal cables, add the stick, add a clutch pedal, reflash ECU to manual and take the paddles off.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/ferrari-parts-collectibles/432703-360-6-speed-conversion-kit.html

That's a kit for a 360, idea is the same for a 599. Order the parts from Ricambi (2nd hand parts will be nigh on impossible to find)
    Would be best off both worlds in a way.

19. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    A 599 with a stick is a very rare car. Brad, can you tell us the serial number of your car?

20. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bas- Did you add up the cost of those parts? The 360 swap was around $6K using a mix of new and old parts, with no labor costs because he did it himself. With all new parts? Plus not sure you can reflash the Motronic DMEs, so might need to buy two new ones. The guy who did the 360 had to swap them out.

21. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I didn't, no. Looking at pics from Ricambi it seems you need a gearbox control lever ($1500), gear selector ($2700) and of course clutch pedal.

Inside gearbox control bits are addons for F1 gearboxes and should be simple to block once taken off. If not, the inside gearbox control for non F1 cars is 1900.

Can't figure out price for the original clutch pedal + assembly. Decent aftermarket (tilton, AP etc) are under 500.

I'm not an electronics person, but am quite surprised as to why the Motronic can't be reflashed. Surely it's only a code protecting it? The unhackable Nissan GTR was hacked under 24 hours...

I'm sure I've missed a thing or two, but it definitely seems doable economically (depends on the person, I suppose).

22. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bas- A couple thousand here, a couple thousand there, double for labor and do not forget all the clutch control mechanisms including throw-out bearing have to be changed, and you are talking about serious money.

23. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    You mean there are manual r35 skylines running around?

24. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Maybe (Change from 15K I wouldn't bet on). But the question was if it was difficult or not, which it isn't. I suppose it also really depends on who you go to; There was a topic in the Maranello section years ago about converting a 550 to individual throttle bodies and someone quoted around 50K from what stuff costs in the states. In the UK it can be done for under 10, easily. Whether this has to do with any work in the States on exotics people just triple the price, I don't know...but I do know work in Europe by going to the right person is a lot cheaper than what I see on the net quoted by others.

No. When Nissan made the GTR they said they made sure the ECU would be unhackable by tuners to take the limiter off (in certain parts of the world it's limited to 112mph unless it's near a race track, in which case there is no electronic limiter). Less than 24 hours the ECU was hacked by tuners and within a week the car was modified and had more power.

Same goes for the Aventador. Apparently you couldn't possibly put another exhaust on because of ECU reasons. Plenty of options now...

25. 360Grigiotitanio

360Grigiotitanio Formula Junior

May 17, 2004
    Bay Area, California
    The 599 is electronically a relatively complex machine, designed around the F1 transmission in an integrated fashion. Converting to a manual and having everything work correctly may not simply be a matter of buying and swapping parts, and labor, regardless of the cost.

You may end up with something a dealer will not wish to touch and independents cannot master. It would also render the car far from stock, usually a bad idea with Ferraris.

Caution is warranted if you think it is worth the projected expense or not.