Manual 599 GTB | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Manual 599 GTB

Discussion in '612/599' started by brad599, Mar 5, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I really may be oversimplifying this but I really do think it is possible. The gearbox is largely the same, with the exception of some bits added for the F1 box that is simply taken away on a manual.

Fact of the matter is that Ferrari estimated 10% of these would have a manual gearbox (ultimately it was far less than that), so they wouldn't make it overly complicated to build 2 mechanically different cars. I would be extremely surprised if the mountings for the clutch pedal aren't even there in an F1 car. With a production car all this is standardized stuff.

Similar stuff has been done with Gallardo's and Murcielago's and that seemed to work just fine.

Again, the US are different from EU where I believe such a project is probably easier done and serviced. I also think that if someone is considering a project like this they'll likely keep it for a very long time.

2. brad599

brad599 Karting

Nov 22, 2012
    seattle
    Full Name:
    brad
    What will the Vin number tell you? The last 6 digits are 159976

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Brad- That VIN just tells you she is a late CY 07/early CY08 build. Although Ferrari considered the F1 and 3 pedal 599s as two separate models, there is nothing in the VIN that tells you F1 or manual. Funny thing is, there is for the California, but there the 3 pedal car uses a completely different transmission.

360- Converting an F1 599 to a three pedal is not particularly technically challenging and could easily be done. The big problem is cost because of all the componentry and ECUs that need changing, or, in some cases, removal. Change is made much easier because all the main components of engine, transaxle, and clutch are unchanged, just the things that activate the transaxle and clutch and their interface with the Motronic DMEs need to be changed.

4. 360Grigiotitanio

360Grigiotitanio Formula Junior

May 17, 2004
    Bay Area, California
    Taz,

My point is that with each generation Ferraris have gotten more electronically complex. I would have no qualms about converting a 575M/360 generation car either. However, with the 599 they took another step forward and with the F12/458 another step again.

Maybe it would be fine. The problem is you just don't know and how would you service it if any electronic gremlins arose? I doubt a dealer would touch it. Maybe better just to buy one when they become available if someone wants one that bad.

Do we know if there were any special problems with the manual 599's from the factory?

5. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    My point was there was a factory three pedal and as long as you swapped all the related parts, the system was set up to work that way. Nothing that complicated in a 599 compared to the earlier Ferraris. The manual Motronic DMEs, 7.3.2 in this case, were set up to recognize and use all the correct inputs. Both versions basically use the same wiring harness, plus an extra cable set for the F1 system, and one for F1 and one for manual for the trunk cables, likely to do with the back-up lights.

Still likely too expensive to do.

6. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    I keep track of them (and all other Ferraris).

Terry, Brad's car was built in March, 2008.

Indeed, you can tell a manual California from one with paddles just by the VIN. Other Ferraris whose transmission type is discernible by their VINs include: 400i, 412, and 456.

7. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Carbon- Makes sense, because those are completely different transmission types, where the dry plate clutch F1 systems all use the same transaxle.

Thanks for the date of build. Was too lazy to look it up on Matthias' website.